An American War Hero - Cover

An American War Hero

Copyright© 2009 by itsdodge

Chapter 10

David looked at himself in the mirror and grimaced. Time was getting short, and he was still pissing away his time in London. He tugged at his tie. He was regretting his passing interest in a pretty girl. He sneered at himself and spoke out loud "You idiot Ogilvy! Keep you dick in your pants next time."

His eyes moved down to review his medals and ribbons and he sighed. Too many painful, precious memories. He adjusted his medal of Honor choker and sighed once more. He pulled back his shoulders and pulled down on his jacket. It would do —no use dilly dallying about. Without another glance at the mrror he turned and exited his room. Down in the Embassy's foyer, the Ambassador was rubbing his hands.

"David! Quickly man, or we'll be late!" The Ambassador was like a kid with money to spend and the shop keeper was slow in opening up. He was jiggling from side to side. David couldn't help but smile.

"Coming Sir. But I don't see the need to rush really. So we are a little late — with London the state its in — no-one will wonder why."

The Ambassador sighed. "David, we had this conversation already. I can't emphasise enough what a coup it is that we have been invited to His Royal Highness private birthday celebrations."

"Um, to be accurate sir, tt was I who was invited." interrupted David with a grin.

"Now let's not quibble about technicalities" blustered the Ambassador. "This will be the first chance for a closer diplomatic rapprochement after the unpleasantness a few years ago."

"You mean when our President ordered the withdrawal of our forces from Europe and told the King to go and play cricket with someone else?" David knew this was not a subject he ought to raise — but he couldn't help it.

The Ambassador had the good grace to seem a little embarrassed. He also looked around to see if anyone was close enough to hear their conversation. In a low cautious voice he said, "Colonel, that sounds like you disagree with the actions of our Commander in Chief. Let me remind you that according to our new Patriotic Act, to question the actions of our President is treason."

David forced a smile, swearing to himself that he hated politics and that the sooner he could get back to just being a soldier the better. "Sorry sir, just having a dig at you — it was uncalled for."

The Ambassador's attention had already wandered though. His wife had arrived dressed to kill. David thought you can dress a cow in fine clothes but its still a cow. He regretted thinking it as soon as he thought it — but the image wouldn't go away. She had the large eyes and broad nose of a cow, He moved out the front entrance and opened the door. The Ambassador and his wife swept regally out the door.

The blackout was in full force and London was under a heavy cloak of cloud. The darkness matched David's mood. His smile slid from his face as he returned to thoughts of his worries and impatience for all this hoopla to be over.

The Embassy car slid through the darkness with little less than a glimmer of light from its headlights. The Russians had not sent any bombers across the channel for a couple of weeks now, and the mood of the people of London was resigned. They knew they would be back, and they knew that more would die. And little by little the city they loved would turn to rubble.

David stared of the window and attempted to avoid involvement in the trivialities of the conversation between the Ambassador and his wife. Soon enough they pulled up at the gate of some grand building. It was hard to see in the dark. A soldier came over and conversed with the driver. David couldn't pick up the words but the whispering seemed rather intense. His interest picked. What was going on?

"Sir", the driver said, turning to the Ambassador, "This guard insists that he has not got your name on his list, and he won't let us in."

"What! Doesn't he know who he's speaking too?" He rolled down his window and leaned out. "Young man!" he called. "I am the Ambassador of the United States of the Americas! And I am here with Colonel David Ogilvy. We have been invited to His Majesty's Birthday celebrations."

"I'm sure it's all just a misunderstanding Ambassador." replied the guard apologetically, "If I could just have a look at your invitation."

The Ambassador turned to David, and hissed, "The invitation, quickly!" David struggled to get the card from his jacket pocket. His movements were constrained by the frills and ruffles of the Ambassador's wife. Finally he passed it over. "There you see!" the Ambassador exclaimed!

The guard shone his torch on the invitation, full of scrolling words and framed in gilt. He shone his torch into the car. He looked at the invitation again. "I'm sorry sir, but this invitation is only for the Colonel"

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.