An American War Hero - Cover

An American War Hero

Copyright© 2009 by itsdodge

Chapter 30

As soon as the sub broached, the lights went red, and the men ascended – no chatter, all business. The sub had surfaced just east of a rocky island - 'Otocic Mrkan'. As he clambered down into the boats David realised that the intense darkness was more to do with the cliffs towering above him than the night sky. In fact according to Josh there was a half moon – occluded by the bulk of the cliffs leaving the sub in deep shadow. With very little cursing the men started to row around the southern point of the island. As he watched, the sub sank beneath the water with barely a hiss and a gurgle to wait for the planned rendeavous.

The row to the coast was done efficiently and silently. Every once and a while there would be the discrete flash of a torch to keep the inflatables together. Once they got close to the shore David could again see high cliffs – and the men grumbled quietly – according to the Intel there was supposed to be a shore – and a beach. Fortunately the sea was calm – or they would have been struggling to keep off the rocks.

The boats huddled together and Josh and Sergeant Manny had an intense whispered conversation. Dubrovnik was north – so north they rowed. It was not until nearly dawn and some exhaustive rowing that they finally rounded a headland and were able to come ashore. Fortunately the area was rugged and showed little sign of human occupation. The inflatables were sunk and the men readied themselves for the trek ahead.

Sergeant Manny, with an economy of words and actions had scouts range the area and guards posted. "What I wouldn't give for a fag" moaned Stiller. He was a radio operative and even as he quietly grumbled he was checking his equipment.

Josh stepped close and quietly responded - "Stiller, when we get back – and that bloody Krushchev bastard is no more – I am going to kit us all out with the best cigars money and a little graft can buy!"

A wide toothy smile broke the black of his camoflaged faced "I'll hold you to that Sir" Stiller relpied.

As David waited, Julia came over to his side. Without thinking about it they sought each others hands and stood in aimiable silence. After what seemd like forever the commandoes made their way inland.

After some climbing they arrived at the crest of a large hill. Dawn was rapidly approaching, and in the first gleams of sunrise David could make out that they stood on the headland of a large bay that stretched out to the north. Josh pointed north and said "Dubrovnick". He then turned to the south east and pointed "Over there is the airfield where we will intercept our booby prize" He then turned south. In dawning light David could make out a large cluster of buildings. "That's where we will find our three-wheeler".

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.