Ten Years - Cover

Ten Years

Copyright© 2009 by happyhugo

Conclusion

Jana and Sandy had no sooner left when Katie excused herself. Ten minutes later, she appeared in the doorway to the patio in the bikini that had been sent to her. I stood, but she held her hand up. "No, I don't want you to touch me. Not yet anyway, and not like this. I did want you to see me." Blushing and smiling she pirouetted before me. There was no comparison between this girl, my wife or her older sister. Katie had nearly a perfect form. She was a goddess.

I sat back down and she came closer. "My feelings haven't changed for you. They are so strong I just know that we will be together some day. It would be too cruel if it didn't happen. Until then I don't want us to do anything we can feel guilty about. If we did then that would make me feel cheap and even more guilty than I do now for loving you. When we come together I want it to be clean and beautiful."

I was amazed. This lovely creature of sixteen was totally in control of me. I would never go against her wishes. "What if it goes on for years? You are going to be more and more beautiful and more desirable each passing day."

"I've thought about that. You are twenty-six. When you are thirty we can sit down and assess where we stand. We have done very well these last two years. I've grown up and still feel the same. I can tell you feel the same about me. You can't imagine how thrilled I am when you look at me. It is a kindness that we see each other so little and always in the company of the family. If I saw you everyday, I'm afraid my good resolutions would be compromised."

"That is four years away."

"Yes, and I'll be twenty and seeing life through adult eyes. You made a commitment with Jana before you were twenty and it was a mistake. I don't want to make a mistake."

God, when did this child become so intelligent? She must have read my mind. "I think about our relationship all the time. I watch people, you know teachers at school and occasionally I get to ask a question where our love won't be discovered. I suppose if people even knew our thoughts when I was fourteen, they'd put you in jail and me in a juvenile center. Even now when I'm sixteen, they would censure you severely. When I'm eighteen the law would be on our side, but still the public would say you were taking advantage of me at a tender age. When I'm twenty we will make some decisions." Katie looked hopefully at me that I would consider the plans she had laid out for herself and me without even asking.

I did consider. "So it is Mr. B until you are twenty. What will it be after that?"

"It could be Ricky or it could be something I call you in my mind and never have spoken out loud. I may never tell you what it is."

"I think you better go in and put more clothes on than your swimwear. Let's call Ashley and you can tell her you received your present. I'll get on one phone and you get on the other."

"Hi Ashley. Your packages came through just fine and both girls are thrilled with them. Sandy has gone out with Jana."

"Where is Katie?"

"She is here with me. I'm taking her home in a little bit."

Ashley had a warning for me. "You be careful with her. You sent me her picture and she is so lovely. Don't forget you are married to Jana."

"You mean like Pete was when you first met him?"

"Yes, but that was an unusual situation. It wouldn't happen to anyone other than me and Pete." I didn't know what to say. I didn't want to admit it, but I didn't want to lie to my niece. What would Katie be thinking while listening to us on the other phone?

Katie took it out of my hands. "Ashley, I'm on the other phone. I've been listening. I'm so glad and thankful I'm going to be seeing you soon. Will we have some time to have a quiet talk? I have a million questions to ask you."

"Are you both saying what I think you are saying?" We both said yes at the same time. "How long has this been in play?"

I answered this time. "We recognized it two years ago at her mother's funeral."

"Jesus Christ Katie, you were only fourteen. You couldn't know at that age unless Uncle Rick came on to you."

I knew this hurt Katie. "Ashley, how old were you when you fell for Pete? If I remember correctly, it was you that fell and then made him fall for you. Don't be a hypocrite. Remember also, there are nineteen years difference in your ages. Katie has a head on her shoulders and she is the one in control. She is sensible about this. She is playing to the fact that I'm committed to Jana and she, herself, is still too young to start a relationship."

"Where does Jana fit into this?"

"Jana is my wife and I'm committed to being her faithful husband as of now. Fate intervened for you and Pete. It will be four more years before anything is possible for Katie and I. Fate may intervene for us as well."

"Boy, that is faith. What are you two doing to keep the fire alive?"

"Katie modeled the bikini for me you sent this afternoon."

"I bet you enjoyed that. How are you keeping your attraction a secret?"

"I call him Mr. B and we don't see each other that often, and when we do, it is always in the presence of other people. Today is the first time we have been alone since I came here from Wyoming."

"That must be difficult for you both. Being alone together."

"It is." This too, was said in unison. After a chuckle Katie and Ashley went over the travel plans for next week. Katie thanked her again for the gifts and we hung up.

Katie turned to me. "There is just one thing more that I want for my birthday. Will you kiss me just as you did Sandy when you took her out last week? She is my sister and she called me Sunday and told me all about her date."

"Jealous?"

"No. I know you said I was in control, but that is just for you and I. What you do with others is beyond my control. I'm confident that I am in your heart, so I have no need to worry."

"You are a wonder, did you know that?" There was hunger in our kisses. After a few minutes of kissing, I was aware that the balance of control had swung to my side and if we were going to stop, it would have to be me.

Katie confirmed it when she said, "God, I never knew a person could feel like this. I almost wish we hadn't kissed. But then I am going to have some wonderful dreams tonight. Take me home now please. I thought I was strong, but if you had continued I would have let you do anything you wanted to me."

I pretended to be asleep when Jana and Sandy came home. They were loud and boisterous. Jana must have let Sandy have some alcohol. I remembered then that I wasn't Sandy's personal guardian anymore. The only connection between us was that I was trustee of her funds until she reached twenty-one.


Jana and I were drifting apart. Since she had her hysterectomy, our joining became less and less. It wasn't just me, Jana never initiated sex either. I felt guilty and we had a conversation about it. We came to the agreement that we should make the effort once a week. That lasted about three months and then we skipped a week. Soon it was only once a month.

Sandy moved out and shared an apartment with a co-worker. There were other changes too. I formed a company with two of the real eastate agents I worked with. We worked through a broker that we all knew. I offered the secretary's job to Jana. "No, sometimes I think we see too much of each other now. I couldn't stand to see you every day all day. Thanks for thinking of me though."

This precipitated an angry retort from me. When we cooled down, Jana said, "I want a divorce. I know you said you were against such a thing, but neither one of us is really happy. I've got to point out I enjoy going out in the evening and I sometimes forget to inform you where I am. That makes me feel guilty. I've got over thinking it was my figure that turned you off. I thought for awhile that you might take up with Sandy. She has a figure most men would die to get next to. She would have been willing if you had made a move on her. What's with you anyway?"

"I don't know. I was happy with you when we first married. Sex for some reason or other has always been a problem between us. It should be important in a marriage, but it isn't in ours. I think we made a mistake, or I have the seven-year itch."

"Is there another woman? Have you been unfaithful?"

"Oh come on Jana, you know me better than that. I'll ask you the same thing."

"No, absolutely not. Why would I want another man when I have you? I love you, but sex is something I have come to dread and something I certainly can do without. So do we divorce?"

"I wouldn't fight it."

A look of sadness crossed her face. "We can still be friends can't we?"

"I would hope so. I still remember the bus ride when we met. I don't regret much that came after either. I guess we have just grown away from each other."

"You're still the nicest person I know." Decisions were made. Neither one of us wanted to hurt the other. Things were mostly settled before we informed the members of my family. Katie, now seventeen, was sitting at the table when I announced to Ann and Sam that Jana and I were calling it quits and Jana was seeking a divorce. I avoided looking at her. I happened to be looking at Philly as I was speaking. Philly's eyes went to Katie. Katie was sitting looking down at the table, not at me or anyone else. I did see her shoulders shift a little.

Philly pushed it. "Does this mean that you will be looking for a new wife or have you someone in mind?"

"I'm not answering that directly. However I don't expect to be alone forever."

"I should hope not. I wish I wasn't related to you. You're the best man I ever knew. Katie thinks so too, don't you Katie?"

Katie flushed and I felt sorry for her, being put on the spot as she was. "I should hope Katie thinks I'm a good man. I'm her guardian and it wouldn't work if she didn't think I was. You do think that, right Katie?"

"That's correct Mr. B. You have been wonderful to me."

The conversation went on to why Jana and I decided to divorce and some of the details. I announced that I had leased one of the condos I had listed for sale. I asked Katie if she still was satisfied staying with Ann and Sam or if she wanted to make her home with me. "No, I'd like to stay here until I finish school anyway. After that we can talk and decide what I'm going to do."

Ann said, "Good, Katie is like a daughter to me and she is a whole lot less trouble than one of my own." This brought a smile to Philly's face for she knew that her mother loved her dearly, but had to be chastised just a little for putting Katie on the spot.

Later after we left the dinner table, Philly cornered me alone. "I'm sorry Uncle Rick. I was out of line."

"Why did you say that then?"

I could tell Philly didn't want to answer. Tears came to her eyes. "Uncle Rick, I'm so ashamed. Katie left a letter out that was from Ashley and I read it. Since then I found where she keeps her private letters and I read them. I'm sorry."

"Okay, no real harm done unless you have talked to someone about it. Maybe you and Katie could drop into my office or at my condo someday after school. You had better know it all instead of just what you have deduced from some very private letters."

"This is why I think you are the best. I hope Katie doesn't kill me when she finds out."

"You might have a problem at that. You'd better tell her what you have done and I'll see you both in a couple of days."


I didn't though, for I was three days in a coma and five weeks in the hospital. On the way home to my condo I was waiting for the green at a stoplight and when it turned, I was almost through the intersection when a car came through on the red. He missed me, but the police car that was chasing him didn't. The cop hit me broadside in the passenger door and rolled my car over two times before it came to rest against a power pole. I was wearing a seat belt, which was good I was told, but I was still in bad shape. It took over an hour to extricate me from the wreck.

Jana was there when I awoke from the coma and was at my bedside most of the time. Sandy would breeze in and kiss me. Katie and Philly spent time with me. Philly spent most of her time watching me and Katie to see if there was anything to see because she knew what was in our hearts. One afternoon I awoke and could hear Jana whispering very quietly to someone. It took me a minute to realize it was her boss from the convenience store.

I listened intently to the conversation. "I have to take care of him. He is my husband. You would have done the same for your husband if he had been in the same situation. We can see each other away from the store on girls night out." I opened one eye slightly and could see Jana and her boss holding hands. I guess I slept again and when I awoke this time Jana was alone.

The divorce was immediately stopped and Jana took over the care of me as a wife was expected to do. My family thought this was wonderful that Jana was there for me. It took time for my fractured shoulder to mend and I had one knee that would never be the same.

Jana had insisted that I return home with her and acted just as if we had never discussed being divorced. She did take wonderful care of me, but I can't say I didn't resent the situation. Where I had happiness within my grasp, now I didn't know what to do.

Katie's graduation came and I insisted that I take her out for an evening just as I had Sandy. I was unable to dance, but I could hold hands when we felt no one was looking. Jana, my faithful wife, was home waiting for me and here I was out with one I loved above all others.

"What are we going to do, Ricky? I thought our life was all set and now look at us. We are worse off than we were." There were tears in her eyes. "Jana will never let you go. She feels so self-righteous for caring for you and I suppose she has a right to, but I hate it."

"Don't hate her. She has been taking care of me. My feeling for her and for you haven't changed, but what we planned has been extended. Remember I thought it wouldn't be a good idea to make you my own until you were twenty. That's still two years away."

"I know, but I have loved you for so long. I can't wait two more years. Ashley keeps telling me things will work out. Philly is the most help. I swear she loves you almost as I do. If you weren't related, I'd be so jealous."

"We have to go on. Let's forget ourselves for a bit. What would you like to do if I wasn't in the picture? After all you are my ward and I have to look out for you."

"I guess to go and live with Ashley and Pete in New York. They are becoming known, much as the Kendals, Royce and Jeannie, did years ago. The only thing is they are husband and wife instead of father and daughter. No hats either, like Jeannie. Pete thinks I might be backup harmony to Ashley and him. Three harmonizing instead of two. He would be willing to see if it would work on some songs anyway."

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.