In a Prison Trapped
Chapter 19

Copyright© 2009 by closetfan

Months slipped through Andy's fingers in his attempt to get at GRNI again. He listened to a police band radio non-stop. Since he was a contractor, he gambled no one would miss him and often went to disasters, just in case the rescue group showed up. He even started a blaze in the National Park where he worked, but the local fire service extinguished it. Only later did he find out during the same time, GRNI went to a much larger inferno in Southern California.

He caught a glimpse of them four times, once at a passenger train derailment, another time at a collapsed gymnasium floor, and again at two multi-car pileups. Each time too many people were around to enact revenge.

When he heard over the police band that they were called in for a rooftop evacuation in Phoenix, he grabbed what he needed, and sped towards the city. He caught the sound of a helicopter overhead and followed the noise to a huge tandem hovering over a burning building at Civic Plaza. It didn't take long to assess a good spot to set up. With so many people running in and out of a nearby building getting a glimpse of the pyrotechnics, he slipped inside without a security card. But he knew he might need one for his escape. With the jumpsuit rolled up tight under his arm, he walked among the cubicles. Most of the employees were glued to the window gawking at the fire and rescue. When he spotted an ID tossed carelessly on a desk, he grabbed it and put his plan into action.

The roof was perfect. With a clear view of the unfolding drama, he nestled against an A/C duct, took a prone shooter's position and readied his rifle. While he prepped, the tandem disappeared. He grew alarmed. He knew the helicopter had already made at least one other trip. Did he miss his chance again? But then he saw for just a moment another person on the roof. That meant the chopper had to come back to pick him up. He waited.

Within minutes the large beast re-emerged. He took sight of the rooftop waiting for the first rescue person to come into view. At last the door opened up; he said under his breath, "I hope it's you, Virgil," then squeezed the trigger.


"I got him, I got him!" yelled Sonny as they neared the roof of the first building. He pointed out a figure in the shadows. Nancy saw him at the same time. "Hold on."

She pushed the chopper into a dive and forced as much speed out of it as she could heading straight for the shooter. By the time he looked up and adjusted his position, she had already buzzed him. Turning around she planned on heading back after him, but he was on the move.

"Hey, lookit that! He does have one of our uniforms!" Sonny really hadn't believed the others when they said they saw the jumpsuit. But he had a clear view now. There was no mistaking, it was one of theirs. The assailant disappeared through a door and was gone.

Nancy climbed a bit higher to get a broader view of the ground. "Son, keep an eye out for that guy. If you see anyone leaving that building, shout."

"They're pouring out of there like water."

They hovered for a moment until they saw the police descend upon the building. No one went inside yet, choosing to surround it first. Then the police entered on cue.

Nancy and Sonny floated above the building for what seemed like an eternity when the police radioed them. They reported that a GRNI jumpsuit was found in a utility closet. Unless someone got a good look at the perpetrator's face, they probably weren't going to find him in a building loaded with employees.

Nancy was furious. "DAMMIT! We had him. He was right there."

Sonny heard her make a sound akin to a growl. "C'mon Nancy, let's go, we don't know how bad Rob and Dave are, we'll probably have to medivac them out."

Remembering her injured coworkers, she headed straight for the landing spot where the tandem was already on the ground. Several people swarmed around the side of it. She settled her smaller craft down as close as she could to the larger ship. Sonny ejected even before Nancy cut the power.


John was in the back checking Rob out as Virgil landed near the ambulances. A local paramedic threw open the door and helped the eight remaining fire victims out, then hopped inside. The young man, named Levone, with the same high training as GRNI, saw two victims with one paramedic attending to them, and offered his services.

Levone leaned over Dave unzipping the jumpsuit to expose the ugly wound just below the sternum. He looked to John. "This one's fading fast. He's been gut shot."

"Rob's not doing so hot, either. You got a gurney ready?"

Levone shouted behind him. "Hey Tessa, bring the gurney over. They both need to be medivac'd out of here."

John took Rob's helmet off and with Levone's help, rolled him onto his side to examine his back. "Oh, man."

As John got ready to undress Rob down to the waist Virgil came into the back section.

"How're they?"

"Bad, Rob's shot in the back and Dave got it in the chest."

"Get them in the other chopper now and 'vac them to a hospital."

Since communications were still open, Nancy heard everything and was already prepared to lift off as soon as her patients were ready.

They got both men transferred into the Bell and the brothers strapped them in, started IVs and recorded vitals. Nancy got the directions to the closest hospital with a helipad.

"John, Virgil. Out." commanded Nancy, "we'll take it from here. Ready, Sonny?"

"Yeah, I have it covered back here. Go ahead."

Within seconds they were airborne and on their way. Virgil went up to one of the local cops and asked for a ride to the hospital.

He responded, "Sure, don't mind playing taxi for you guys. Hop in."

Both John and Virgil tossed their helmets into the open belly of Big Bertha and left. Even though one of the directives was never leave a chopper unattended or unlocked, Virgil didn't care at this moment.


Walt was in the air to Phoenix, minutes after Nancy lifted off for the hospital. Once on his way, he called Jennifer and instructed her to contact both Rob's and Dave's parents. He gave specific instructions to transport them to the hospital ASAP.

Walt's mind worked overtime. They'd just lost their Trooper escort that morning. Did the shooter know that? If so, that meant the assailant was either an active employee or had inside help. But what would make someone so angry with coworkers as to want them dead?

While in the air, he placed a call to the detective in charge of investigating the first attack. Someone picked up after the first ring. "Detective Miller, how can I help you?"

"Wayne, Walt Stone here."

"Yes, Mr. Stone, what can I do for you?"

"I'm on my way to the hospital to see two of my men who just got shot." Walt did not even attempt to hide his anger.

"Oh God! What happened? Gimme the details." Wayne said, obviously upset they had the wrong guy pinned.

Walt gave all the details he had, mostly from listening to the conversation between his people during the crisis.

The detective clicked his pen out of nervous habit. "I'll call the local police and have them cordon off the area. I'm on my way now."

Walt broke the connection and concentrated on getting to the hospital. Whoever was doing this was not leaving a lot of clues.


Andy's elation at getting two of them was diminished by the fact he didn't get more. He tried bringing down the big helicopter when he got buzzed by the smaller one. Realizing it also belonged to the rescue group, he turned onto his back and tried to fire. But it was gone in a flash. To avoid arrest, he left the roof and bolted back into the same utility closet where he changed the first time. He wanted to take the jumpsuit with him but thought better of it. If he left it for the cops to find, he might be able to buy a few more minutes. That souvenir had served him well, but the time had come to sacrifice it. He dismantled the gun and placed it into the briefcase he had swiped along with the ID, clipping that to the front pocket of his polo shirt. He peeked through the door and when confident no one was looking, he strolled out as if he belonged there.

The police checked everyone as they exited the building, so Andy waited until the thickest of the crowd was going through. With the ID easily visible, they waved him on without a second glance. Once outside, he just strolled leisurely away, heading towards the helicopters. He decided to blend into the crowd surrounding them to find out exactly what damage he had inflicted.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.