In a Prison Trapped - Cover

In a Prison Trapped

Copyright© 2009 by closetfan

Chapter 17

Karen Keller opened her front door and greeted the newest member of her book club, "Hi Cassie. Welcome."

"Hi!" She handed her a store bought box of scones. "I thought we met at the book store?"

We usually do meet there, but once a month we like to go to members' homes. Many of us like to play hostess and show off our culinary talents. This month was my turn and since we're reading History of the Royal Family, I thought a High Tea theme would be apropos."

Karen escorted her guest to the sun room where several people were already seated. "Make yourself at home while I bring out the service."

Taking a seat in a high backed Queen Anne's chair, Cassie greeted the others. She noted one of the men really took this theme to heart wearing a monocle and his mustache waxed into handlebars. At least he fell short of speaking with a fake British accent.

Cassie jumped when she heard, "Hey, Honey! We're leaving now. Have a good afternoon with your club." She slunk deeper into the chair which luckily faced away from the caller whose voice she recognized as Sonny Keller's. She wasn't sure if he would recognize her, but she didn't want to take the chance.

When she heard Karen send her husband off with an air kiss, she peaked around the chair. Both brothers were at the door walking out. Her heart fluttered at the first good glimpse of her quarry that was not bloody and unconscious on the floor or bruised and half shaved in a hospital bed. She leaned further out from the safety of the chair to get a better glance at the good looking man she was stalking.


With fists firmly planted on top of the table in the rescue room, Walt stood waiting. The grim look etched on his face revealed all as his crew reported in.

"We have an MCR (Multiple Casualty Rescue)." He paused as everyone's attention focused on him. "The local college was having a pep rally in their auditorium when the floor collapsed. Renovations were started to remove an old recessed pool beneath the gym floor. Work was underway when the failure occurred. Estimates are upwards of 100 kids or more. Local hospitals have all been alerted. GRNI's sending eight medivac choppers, our five and three from Team A. A medic is to remain with the victims during transport, while the other two stay at the scene to help with the rescue and triage. Categorize the victims into three groups: the worst of the students will be flown directly to the large trauma centers, those whose injuries are severe but not life threatening will be taken to the smaller local hospitals. Lastly, those who need treatment but can handle a 2 hour ride will go to the hospitals farthest away." Walt looked around at the bleak faces. He knew the other supervisor was giving the same speech to her team in another room.

"I have a few changes in rotation: Virgil, Sonny, Nancy, and John, switch with your partners. These are simple round trip flights. No fancy flying needed. So I want the others to get more flight time and you to get more medic time. Any questions?"

He received none. "Good, get going," and the room cleared out. He could hear the second crew leaving at the same time. The other supervisor, Ginny, joined Walt, "Gonna be a long day."


The local first aiders, as well as four helicopters from the area were already on site. The dean of the school, Burt Flores, looked up when he heard the choppers approaching. He knew more were on the way, but was not expecting the sight coming in. Eight GRNI helos flew in a military type formation. The lead aircraft landed where four others were already located, in an athletic field large enough to accommodate all twelve.

Walt told Sonny to lead the team this time. So his chopper, piloted by Janet, landed first. The others followed suit. All of the pilots remained in their crafts with the rotors spinning, while the three medics dove into the rescue. The plan was to rotate the medics; one in the air with a victim, another on the ground tending to a casualty, and the third doing search and rescue buddying up the third member of another chopper.

At first glimpse, nothing seemed out of the ordinary. But further scrutiny revealed that the activity around the building was anything but typical. Soft cries could be heard from those that had escaped. Several students lay about on the ground being tended to, and people hugged each other in support. Many a face shone with tears.

The initial estimate placed 130 people in the auditorium when the floor failed. Only twenty had been rescued. With the addition of 24 highly trained medical rescue personnel, 8 pilots and choppers, operations went into high gear.

No one noticed from the back of gawking onlookers, a pair of eyes glaring at the newest team of rescuers.


Sonny waved to Virgil who was departing in a helicopter with his first patient, a cheerleader with a gaping leg wound. An assistant trainer, who couldn't have been much older than the college students he coached, was Sonny's third. Although hurt, the young instructor did not have life threatening injuries. Both of his legs were broken coupled with several large lacerations. Sonny attached the neck brace, per standard procedure, then set both legs. A doctor, who was on site ranking the triage patients, came over to the rescuer to evaluate the injuries of the victim. "He can take the second chopper; it'll be ready to leave shortly. Share with that fellow over there," he said pointing to another casualty. He left to continue the assessment of the injured as they were brought out.

Sonny looked up as three choppers came in for a landing and patted the young man on the shoulder. "It won't be long now, your ride has arrived."

"Thanks."

The young man grabbed Sonny's uniform and looked at the embroidered name on the pocket and the GRNI patch on his shoulder. "I won't forget you, Sonny."

The elder Keller, caught off guard by the praise, was relieved when the medic in chopper #2 came over with a backboard, giving him a reason not to respond with anything other than a 'thanks'. After helping strap the patient on, the two men hoisted him into the chopper. Sonny helped load the other ride-share victim before taking off.


Virgil felt the strain as the rescue entered its sixth hour. He stumbled over the unstable rubble, grabbing at anything, usually jagged debris, to keep from falling. His heavy work gloves were the only thing saving his hands. On his last tumble, he ended up on all fours; his face inches away from an arm. Taking off his glove he felt for a pulse. The ice cold flesh told him he would find none.

He swallowed his emotions as he got up to continue the search, only to stop when he heard a soft groan. It came from under the slab of concrete that encased most of the lifeless arm. Virgil struggled into a lying position. He followed the cold arm up through the crevice hoping at the end someone was still alive.

Although the uniform was fitted, his sleeve kept catching. He tried again with it rolled up, but was still unsuccessful in the narrow space. Sitting back, he unzipped the jumpsuit to his waist and slid off the top leaving only a thin T-shirt to protect against the shards. He was probing the fissure, shoulder deep when he violently yanked his arm back out. He crab-walked back a foot or two, hesitated a moment then turned around and vomited. Once the heaves stopped, he rested his forehead on his supporting forearm and took deep breaths. "Shit! I shoulda known it would've been dismembered." After pulling his jumpsuit back on, he wiped his mouth on his sleeve then smeared his bloodied hand down the length of his thigh.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.