Civility - Cover

Civility

Copyright© 2009 by Jay Cantrell

Chapter 9

Even though I knew I would see Janet and Lila again in just three days, it was with trepidation that I watched them drive away on Sunday afternoon.

Amelia seemed to sense my mood.

"Do you really think she can live with what you do?" she asked. "People who aren't raised around this sort of life have trouble adapting to it."

I looked over at her crossly.

"People with any sense of decency would have trouble adapting to it — even if they were raised around it," I stated.

Amelia blushed and looked down.

"But you know what I'm saying," she said. "I don't want to see you get hurt, Pops."

She had taken to calling me that — despite my protests. The first few times she would use the title, she and Lila would giggle manically. At least Lila had stuck with Mac.

A little after noon, Linda called to say she would be out around 4. She wondered if she should plan to pick up Amelia or if she could bring some clothes to stay for a day or two.

"It would take two days to load up the stuff Amelia brought last night," I joked. "You don't look like you've changed since you were Amelia's age. Just come as you are and share clothes with her."

"Do you want to see me in what she was wearing Friday, Michael?" Linda asked with a touch of what seemed like flirting in her voice. She wasn't very good at or I wasn't very good at recognizing it.

Amelia had been wearing a short miniskirt and a tight tank top under a leather jacket on Friday.

"Uh, no," I said. "I remember you as a sweet, lovely woman, Linda. If I saw you in that get up ... actually on you it would probably look terrific," I said. "Maybe we could wet the tank top a little?"

I wasn't very good at flirting either but I gave it a shot anyway.

"There is always the pool," Linda said.

I figured I should move the conversation in another direction.

"So, what time should we expect you?" I asked.

"Between 3 and 4," she said. "I'm meeting with Father Grayson about Rico's wake. Michael, what about Tony?"

I have to admit that I had put Tony out of my mind.

"What about him?" I asked.

"Well," Linda said. "Does he know? I mean, about his Mom and Dad?"

"He is incommunicado," I said. "I'll go take care of the notification while you're getting things together. Is it OK to leave Amelia here by herself?"

"She is pretty self-sufficient," Linda informed me. "More so that I like. But Tony is going to be a problem."

"Believe me, Tony is no problem," I answered. "In fact, if the cops close the case as a murder-suicide, he'll be in a homeless shelter in a month. Violet had very little money. She stood to inherit some from Rico; not much, but some. But she can't do that if she killed him. Tony was her heir but she doesn't have enough cash or assets to pay next year's property taxes, let alone the mortgage she has on the house."

"That will make him even more dangerous," Linda stressed. "He will have nothing to lose. Just watch yourself, Michael."

It was the second time in two days that someone had warned me to be careful. That made twice in my life.


I called Marcus to let him know I would be arriving shortly.

"I was gonna call you soon, boss," Mark said. "I know never to bother before noon."

"It could be 7 a.m. today, buddy," I answered. "What's up?"

"I'll tell you when you get here," he said. There was an edge to his voice. "This is not telephone shit."

I sighed. Will this crap ever end?

"Half an hour," I said and hung up.

I made sure Amelia knew the rules — and the ramifications of flouting them. She assured me that she would behave. She have been golden so far, so I cut short the lecture and headed outside.

"That's it?" Amelia said. "That's all you're going to say? Don't break stuff and don't make a mess? What about staying out of the liquor and don't go in your office? What about making sure I don't use the pool while you're not here?"

"Do I need to mention those things?" I asked. "You obviously know the rules attached to each of those items. I have no need to reiterate the obvious. You're not a child; I refuse to treat you like a child."

I didn't expect Amelia's reaction. She latched on to me with a tight hug.

"Thank you, Michael," she said. "I love you! I won't do anything bad, I swear."

"I know you won't," I said sweetly. "Because you know I would find out and you know I would tan your butt."

I was in a decent mood when I walked into the house where Tony and his cohorts were staying. Marcus was waiting for me and my mood evaporated quickly. He was holding several file folders in his hands.

"Look at these," he instructed. But I waved him off.

"I have something I need to attend to first," I told him. "I'll look at those in a minute or two."

I could see that Marcus was anxious for me to see the files but I insisted.

"Where's Tony?" I asked. Marcus pointed me in the right direction.

The younger Federici was in good condition when I entered. He was bound — but loosely — and his face showed no signs of Marcus or his employees having done much more than a few slaps. I hoped that the evidence meant Mr. Federici was accepting my re-education program with grace.

That hope ended quickly.

"You're a dead man, McPherson," he hissed when I walked in the room. "My mother will never let you get away with this."

So much for breaking the news to him gently.

"You mother is dead," I said. "So is your father. If you open your mouth to me one more time, you'll join them."

Rage, shock and finally confusion crossed his face.

"You lie," he said.

"I rarely lie," I replied. "And certainly not to a shithead such as you. I have no reason to lie to you. I own you. You only live because I allow it. What reason do I have to lie to you?"

Tony had no answer — and the anger returned.

"Your mother killed your father yesterday and then committed suicide," I said. "Tough break, kid. But I hope you realize it your fault. You were the person who set this chain of events in motion and you were the only person who could stop it."

I turned and left the room with Tony hurling insults at me. It was becoming increasing less likely he would leave the building on his own two legs.

It became an absolute certainty that he wouldn't when I sat down with Marcus.

"These are six cases our guy inside got us," he told me. "I went through Federici's logs Friday night. All six owed him money. Christ, Michael, one was 14 and the other was 12. The descriptions match the guys we've got downstairs."

A cold fury settled over me. Surprisingly, my mind was alert — just as it had been with my father and with Leo Gomez.

"I want to do them, boss," Marcus said. "I want to bring the family's here and let them watch me kill those fuckers. They still owed the money after all this. God knows how many more are out there."

Tony Federici and his crew had raped at least six young women because of their father's — or in one case, their brother's — outstanding debt in the past 9 months. Six families had reported the attacks — but none had admitted that it was over a gambling debt. I wondered if Tony had even told them why it was happening. Perhaps he just went back later and let them relive the gory details with a causal mention of what would happen if the money didn't come.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.