Roadhouse - Cover

Roadhouse

Copyright© 2009 by Anthony Concept

Chapter 35

Unfortunately Dom's father didn't improve enough to run the pizza parlour. We had a quick meeting to discuss what Dom and Cheryl were going to do.

"I hate to say this Tony, the only thing we can do is give up our interest in the Sundowner. If Papa sells the parlour they won't have enough money to finish bringing up the kids. How do you feel about buying us out? We don't need the money straight away as we have the income from the parlour."

"First of all Dom, I'm really sorry about your dad, we can understand the position you find yourselves in and I'll be honest, I will miss you for sure. We've come a long way together, from the day I moved into the Fish Creek camp up til now, it's been a great experience setting up the Sundowner with you and Cheryl. Having to part under these circumstances is very sad. If Jess and I buy you out, I would like to take out a mortgage, that way you won't be waiting for us to meet payments, I think owing friends money is a bad option."

"I suppose you're right mate, but like I say "we aren't hurting for the money"."

"What do you think Jess" I asked.

"Like you said Tony, it's very sad on both counts, Dom's dad falling ill and a break up in our partnership. Dom and Cheryl are more than partners, they're more like family. I have to agree, it's the only option available to us though."

Later in the week we talked to our lawyer and dissolved the partnership. There was no problem obtaining a mortgage from the bank, the Sundowner now belonged to Jess and I and the bank. We hoped to work the loan off as quick as possible, paying interest is dead money.

...

One morning Jess was as sick as a dog, at first I thought it might have been something she ate. Then she told me that we were a wee bit pregnant.

"Remember that night on our honeymoon when you got greedy and went for seconds? You forgot the franger, I thought I was in my 'safe' period and didn't worry, like Dom said Vatican roulette doesn't work."

"Jess, you have made me the happiest man alive, I know we talked about having a baby and I would have liked to have planned it but our child will be most welcome. Thank you darling I love you lots. Jesus! I wonder how Ernie's going to feel about being a grandfather?"

Jean and Ernie were ecstatic, having a grand child for Ernie was further building his family back up.

Taffy, now in her third trimester was a font of knowledge that Jess could draw on, even Kitty was taking notice of what they talked about. "I will be there someday Jess, we're playing it safe for the time being though."

We had a celebration for Jess, Cheryl and Dom came out and as usual the women folk took off to talk 'woman's business' while us menfolk enjoyed a few drinks.

Dom told me that the parlour was going well, though he missed the Sundowner. His dad was making slow progress but wouldn't be able to take up the reins again.

...

I was talking to Sister Maria one day and told her about us still using Kitty and Jack to fill the void that Dom and Cheryl hade left.

"If you are looking for replacements Tony I suggest you have a talk with the cooks, I'll say no more."

I went down to the kitchen and Mrs Cooper and Mrs Andrews greeted me like a long lost son. "Come in Tony, it's been too long since you have visited us."

"Thanks Mrs A, running a roadhouse takes up all my spare time."

I brought them up to date, our child that was on it's way and Dom's bad luck.

"The Penguin suggested I talk to you ladies, as you know Kitty and Jack are still working for us although they have been offered jobs with the Henry's. It would appear that you have someone in the wings that could be a replacement."

Mrs Cooper let out with a great chuckle, "Tony, you're going to love this. When you left the orphanage I seemed to inherit a couple of kids that came out of the same mould as yourself. They got into all sorts of mischief just so that they could get 'kitchen punishment'. They are both sixteen and I reckon if someone gave them a fair go they would be good kids. They both are shaping up to be good cooks and the enjoy their work. Would you like to meet them?"

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.