Roadhouse - Cover

Roadhouse

Copyright© 2009 by Anthony Concept

Chapter 32

For a wedding present Jess suggested we get in touch with Trish and book them into the Walhalla Lodge for a week's honeymoon.

"I think that's a great idea Jess, why don't you give Trish a ring and see what we can come up with."

Jess gave Trish a call, she told her that the kids could have the balcony room as it would afford them the most privacy and they could sit outside and admire the view as well. Trish also suggested that she and Rob would attend the wedding and then take the newly weds back with them.

Taffy asked Ernie if he would give her away, he told her "Taffy, it would give me the greatest of pleasure."

We arranged to hire the scouts marquee again, Dom and I started writing a proposed menu, one which would of course be altered by the ladies committee but would at least give them something to work on. The girls arranged for the men folk to fitted for monkey suits again. Poor Joey was overwhelmed with all the attention he was getting.

"If you think you are getting too much attention Joey, think what the women are doing to poor old Taffy. Every woman wants the best for her and come hell or high water she's going to get it." Said Dom.

"We didn't want to a burden on you people, you took us in and now you're spending heaps of money to help us get married. We don't deserve all this attention."

"Hate to disagree with you mate, we think you both are worth it. If we didn't we wouldn't be doing this for you."

...

Finally the day arrived and again we were blessed with fine weather. The Marquee was set up and the 'closed for business' sign was posted at the gate. The ladies had eventually decided on a menu so Dom and I worked through the night to provide the goodies. It was decided to have a cold collation, Dom's parents had procured a selection of hams and other cold meats, Doug's wife Alice, again came up with a beautiful wedding cake, The local ladies all came bearing cakes and sweet pies, the tables groaned under their weight.

Joey scrubbed up well and looked handsome in his monkey suit. He stood in front of the minister shaking like a leaf. Very soon the bride came in on Ernie's arm. Taffy looked absolutely stunning in her wedding gown, she was nervous as most brides are. Ernie looked as proud as a peacock as they limped down to the minister.

The ceremony went without a hitch, Joey stumbled on a few of his lines and Taffy giggled at the wrong time but all in all it was perfect.

After the ceremony I saw Sister Maria having a talk with the two of them, they all seemed happy so I assumed the Penguin had forgiven them. Later when I caught up with them they told me that she had given them her blessing.

The reception went well and there was more than a few tipsy people by the time we called stumps. Trish and Rob elected to stay at the Sundowner overnight rather than trying to drive the treacherous road back to Walhalla in the dark.

After breakfast we waved them goodbye, as they took of there was a loud rattling of tin cans that someone had tie under the car. Rob drove off and Trish informed us later he drove several miles down the road before removing them. The kids were embarrassed as hell she said.

...

When Taffy and Joe returned after their honeymoon they seemed a lot more mature, Taffy had a healthy look about her and Joey seemed to exude confidence in himself. We held a welcoming back dinner for them. Trish apologised but couldn't stay as she had to be back at the lodge. Taffy and Joey thanked her profusely for all that she had done for them.

Back to running the Sundowner. We had several requests for accommodation, dependent on the character of the people, we would let them stay in one of the spare bedrooms, sort of like a bed and breakfast arrangement. We decided that with the income we were getting we could go ahead and start building some cabins.

Joey was keen to be involved in the project, he was a hands on type of a lad. Ernie decided he would start drawing up some plans, we had to submit plans to the Shire office and get their approval before we could start building. Joey suggested we talk with the building inspector before we started, that way we would know what we could and could not do. That was good thinking on his part as he was obviously thinking ahead.

I received a phone call from Paul Bergman one morning, "Hi there Tony. How's things going at the Sundowner?"

"Great Paul, everything's working out well, Ernie's drawing up some plans so we can build cabins, there's been quite a demand for accommodation lately."

"Sounds good mate. The reason I called was to let you know the latest news from up this way. About an hour ago the manager and a couple of plain clothed Dees escorted your friend Hebb into town."

"Wow! what was all that about Paul?"

"Seems like our friend had a couple of 'ghosts' on the books. As you know I work directly for the manager. He asked me why I wasn't claiming meal expenses for two men, I told him that they didn't eat in the mess. After he rang off I got to thinking and spoke to a few of the men. I asked them if they knew the two new workers ... they didn't."

"Jesus! the man must be a real dill to try and pull a trick like that, he must know that someone would wake up to him sometime."

"Yeah, when I rang the boss back and told him, all he said was "OH!" and rang off. Next thing I know him and the Dees are carting Hebb off."

"That won't make Wally happy, he hates doing the overseer's job. Bet he'll be pushing management to get a replacement real soon."

"I haven't seen him yet but I can well imagine his reaction. Anyway, I'll leave you to get on with being a capitalist."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.