Roadhouse - Cover

Roadhouse

Copyright© 2009 by Anthony Concept

Chapter 21

Things started to move rapidly, the union rep was quick to investigate the accident. He had the union solicitor approach the court to have Fred's day book and personal diary impounded as evidence. A mechanical inspection of the grader's steering box indicated a collapsed bearing which, in turn had locked up the steering arm. Ernie related how he was driving towards the bend when the steering failed, the wet slippery conditions made braking inefficient and the bank gave way before he had a chance to bring the machine to a halt.

Fred told me later that the management had instructed him to hand over the day book and any correspondence relating to machinery maintenance. Fred informed them that the Court had already taken them. "The bastards are going to try and cover their own arses Tony, the engineer was really pissed off when I told him he was too late."

The union Solicitor told Ernie that they had a strong case for negligence and they were going to pull all stops out to get the best compensation they could. It would be a while before they could assess the full extent of his injuries but he would be on full sick pay and all medical expenses covered by the Roads board.

...

At last Ernie was ready for release from hospital, I'd had a long discussion with him about rehabilitation. He obviously wasn't able to stay in his own cabin so I broached the subject of Jess and I sleeping in her room while he took mine.

"Tony, in a perfect world I wouldn't have a bar of the idea, as it is though I have to agree with you. I'm going to need a lot of attention, that's going to be a big burden on both you and Jess. I assume that Jess and you are doing more than hold hands so sleeping together isn't going to make a great deal of difference is it?"

"Jess and I promised we would not go too far Ernie, to date we have kept that promise. I admit that we often sleep in the same bed but we not going all the way, we have set our limits and we try to abide by them, I hope that eases your mind."

"It certainly makes me feel a lot easier son, Ok, that's the way it will have to be."

I arranged with the hospital to collect him after I had picked up Jess from school. Jess of course was ecstatic her dad was coming home.

...

I let Dom know that Ernie was being discharged and asked him to be ready when we arrived home.

"No problem Tony, I imagine they will be hiring you a wheel chair for him to get about in, I'll grab that spare trestle table top and build a bit of a ramp so he can get into your room. Christ how did you get him to agree to letting you and Jess bunk down together?"

"It seemed the only solution, he needs constant attention for a while. He wasn't too happy about it, though I think he was aware we were sleeping together, I think I swayed him to the idea when I let him know that Jess and me weren't going all the way."

"You mean to tell me you two haven't done the 'dirty deed' yet?"

"Yep, we are as pure as driven snow mate."

"Jesus I don't believe it."

"I'm picking Jess up from school and then we go straight to the hospital to get Ernie. I've prepped most of this evening's meal so it's just finish it off and dish it up; ask one of the boys to give you a hand. We should be back pretty soon after the meal so save us some when we get in will you?"

"OK, do you think Ernie will want to eat?"

"After what he told me about the hospital tucker, he'll be more than ready."

...

I met Jess at the school, she was just about jumping out of her skin with excitement. I hadn't told her about my conversation with Ernie so she was trying to work out how we were going to accommodate him.

"Where is dad going to stay Tony? He can't sleep in his own cabin, what if he needs to go to the dunny? Suppose he needs help during the night? He needs to have a shower, that's too far for him to walk. What can we do to make it easy for him?"

"He could sleep in my room love." I said leading her on.

"And where are you going to sleep?"

"I could sleep with you, that would free up my bed for Ernie."

"Yeah, when pigs can fly, dad would have a fit if he knew you were thinking that. Let's be sensible about this, please."

"Jeeze, did you just see that?"

"What?"

"A pig just flew by." I was struggling to keep from laughing.

"Tony Concept, stop bull shitting me, what are you trying to do?"

"Jess my love, Ernie and I have already discussed the problem of his sleeping arrangements. He accepts the fact that we are already sleeping together and I set his mind at rest regarding us going the whole way. We now have to play it low key so we don't shit in his face."

"He agreed to us sleeping together? Wow I can't believe it."

"Just don't make a big deal out of it love, Ernie will bring the subject up when he feels comfortable with it."

"OK ... I see that you brought plenty of pillows and blankets along, that will help us get him settled down for the ride back."

...

The hospital could provide us with a wheel chair so I signed the necessary papers and strapped it onto the spare wheel. The sisters wheeled Ernie out in a hospital chair and we carefully settled him in the back seat. Jess fussed around with the pillows and made him comfortable a possible. Every movement brought a groan of pain from his lips, the Sister in charge said they had given him a pain killer and it should take effect soon.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.