Roadhouse - Cover

Roadhouse

Copyright© 2009 by Anthony Concept

Chapter 16

Jess and Dom finished their painting and left it in the wood shed to allow it to properly dry, we then moved them back into Jess's room. As I expected I was sleeping in the kitchen while the paint smell dissipated. A couple of time Jess snuck into my bed but only stopped for a little while.

"Just to let you know I appreciate what you're doing for me Tony," she giggled.

Fred notified Morwell he was taking leave and that Wally was his replacement, they approved so he packed his bags and I drove him down to the railway station. Wally took up the reins and life continued on.

One of the first things on Wally's agenda was to get the engineer out and show him the problems with the equipment, Being a canny Scot he made his request in writing. At first the engineer hedged about coming out so Wally asked him to put his refusal in writing, that did the trick and he arrived the following day with the workshop supervisor.

Wally took them out to the job site and they discussed the problems with the machines. It was decided to remove a cleat from each track on the dozer, that would extend it's life until a replacement was available. The supervisor would send a couple of mechanics over with some new pins.

They next looked at Ernie's grader, there was a bad oil leak in the steering box and one of the hydraulic seals was leaking fluid. The supervisor said he would get the mechanic to flush the box out and refill it with a heavy grade oil, just keep the hydraulic fluid topped up. They had a grader in the workshop being rebuilt, when it was available they would exchange Ernie's machine for it.

The front end loader cables were deemed safe but would be replaced when a drum of cable was available. They all then headed back to the office. As I saw them going in I made up a tray of refreshments and took it over. Wally was holding the floor as I entered.

"You will be putting this in writing you understand." The engineer looked like a stunned mullet.

"Why would you want this in writing Mr Lockhart?"

"As an engineer you would expect everything to be documented wouldn't you, Isn't that good practice?"

"Yes, but why in this case Mr Lockhart?"

"Because I insist on it sir, it leaves no doubt in anyone's mind what was decided, you expect it as an engineer I expect it as your customer, good engineering practice."

"Very well I'll send my report out with the motor mechanic in the morning." Soon after the headed back to Morwell.

"I think you rattled them there a bit Wally."

"Ay, this old dog's been around a few years, engineers, I wouldn't piss on them, full of book knowledge but no brains."

...

The next day the mechanics arrived with their mobile workshop and removed the track cleats. "The pins are pretty badly worn mate, they'll hold for a bit longer but take it easy on them."

They flushed out the steering box on the grader and found there was some metal swarf in the oil, instead of refilling it with oil they chose to pump grease into it instead. "She needs to be fixed pretty soon mate, looks like one of the bearings is on it's way out. Just check the hydraulic fluid every day and keep it topped up. I wouldn't try and replace the seal out here, that's a workshop job."

Again, Wally insisted on a written report, one copy for the engineer, one for the workshop and one for our records. He wasn't taking any chances.

...

Things were settling back down to normal, I took a run over to Morwell for Wally and decided to do a bit of shopping, Christmas was just around the corner and I was looking for some kind of multi-gift I could give to the orphanage. I have an attraction to second hand shops, often one can find good quality bargains and today was one of those days. Nestled on a shelf was a 16mm film projector and speaker. I asked the dealer if there was any films to go with it, he rummaged around and came up with a large box of film cans.

"Most of them are pretty dated, things like the Keystone cops and the Three Stooges."

When I explained that they were for the kids at the orphanage he told me to wait a minute. After a while he came back with another box with more film cans in it.

"I'll chuck these in for free if you give me a tenner for the projector."

"Done deal, the kids will be wrapped with these, I just hope that the projector runs OK."

"It does, I gave it a run when it came in."

I packed the boxes into the ute and then went looking for some gifts for Jess, Fred and Dom. I bought a box of cigars for Fred as I knew it was his only vice, he didn't drink. For Dom I found a bottle of mid priced Italian wine. Jess was a lot harder to shop for, in the end I found a nice moon stone necklace for her. Shopping complete I headed for home.

...

Later, back at the camp and after the evening meal I dragged out the projector and set it up in the mess hall, a bed sheet was strung up for a screen and we were up and running. There was a good selection of films in the box, we started running an early Mickey Mouse cartoon, Jess was in stitches and the boys seemed to get as much enjoyment out of watching her enjoy herself as they did watching the cartoons.

Satisfied the projector was OK I had Jess help me get it ready for the orphanage, we gift wrapped each can of film and used the old bed sheet to wrap the projector in. She spent a lot of time hand making a Christmas card, I asked her to make it from the two of us, she looked at me and grinned then flung her arms around me and gave me a big kiss.

"That's lovely of you Tony, when can I meet these kids? Will you take me the next time you go there?"

"Yes Jess, of course I will, we better get your Dad's OK first though."

"I'll ask him for some pocket money so I can get some Christmas presents at the same time."

...

Max Claxton delivered my previous order of meat the next day. "Charlie asked me to let the boys know he is throwing a Christmas barby on Christmas eve, they're all invited, grub's free but they have to pay for the grog, same as last time."

"Tell him thanks Max, the boys really enjoyed themselves the last time, I think that the girls were the main attraction though."

"Yeah, well Cheryl informs me that they will be there again, she's invited them for the holiday period. Who knows, there might even be a few romances come out of it." We both had a chuckle at that.

Dom came in as we were discussing the barby, "Cheryl's been planning this since the last one, apparently a few of the girls were attracted to some of our blokes and have been on her back to have another one."

When Jess heard about the invitation she was excited and kept asking questions about the last one.

"Did any of your 'reputation' ladies go to the last barby Tony?"

I don't know if she's just being nosy or trying to stir me up. "Jess, will you please stop prying into my personal affairs, they are off limits to you so butt out."

"Bit touchy are we?" I chose to ignore her and she soon went away.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.