Roadhouse - Cover

Roadhouse

Copyright© 2009 by Anthony Concept

Chapter 8

The train pulled into a siding called Dysart, desert would have been a better name. It was in the middle of nowhere, windy and cold as the Artic.

We were herded into covered trucks and driven into Pucka to be issued with our equipment and billeted in huts. I was in the 20th National Service Battalion.

Glancing around at my fellow travellers I could see that there would be several hangovers the following day. Most looked like they had been on the booze for most of the journey, I can't say I felt any sympathy for them.

"Form a line here" a tough looking soldier with two stripes on his arm roared.

"Stand to attention and listen up. You are horrible little boys and my job is to make you into MEN. When I tell you to jump, you don't ask why, you just do it. You address me as Corporal Willis, I am a non-commissioned officer, you don't call me sir and you don't salute me."

Ouch, this bloke's going to be a bit of a bastard.

"You will pass through the building and be kitted out with your uniforms and other gear. When that is done you will march to your billets where you will be allocated a bed and locker. You will stay there until further notice, when I come back I expect to see all your equipment stowed away and you in fatigues."

There was a few grumbles as we marched over to the huts. "There will be no talking, this isn't a girls picnic, you are now in the army and we OWN you. We tell you when to eat, when to sleep and when to shit."

I had just changed into my fatigues and stowed my gear when our lovely corporal returned. "Sapper Concept?"

I looked up, "Yes Corporal Willis?"

"Collect you gear and follow me."

Uh oh, seems like they have finally figured out I'm underage. With a resigned shrug I collected my kit and followed him out. He quick marched me over to the company office.

"Put your gear down there Sapper Concept."

"Yes Corporal Willis."

He then knocked on a door and waited to be called in.

"Sapper Concept Sar-Major."

"Send him in Corporal."

I was pushed into the office and told to stand to attention. The Sergeant Major was looking through a sheaf of papers, he found what he was looking for and looked up.

"Sapper Concept, I see you list your occupation as cook, is that correct?"

"Yes Sar-Major, I work for the Country Roads Board and cook for one of the workmen's camps."

"Sapper Concept, you've just volunteered for the kitchen. Corporal Willis will show you where to go. Dismissed."

I didn't know whether to breath a sigh of relief or jump for joy. I was to work in the kitchen, a chance to learn even more. Someone up there is looking out for me.

I picked up my kit and followed the corporal again, this time to the kitchen area. "Sergeant Hanlon, this is Sapper Concept, he's been assigned to you. The Sergeant will take you from now."

The Sergeant was a large florid face individual. He asked me what experience I had and did I volunteer or was I volunteered.

"I was volunteered Sergeant, but I'm quite happy to be here. My experience?-- I work as a camp cook for the Country Roads Board, we have about thirty men to cater for."

"Do you do this on your own then?"

"No Sergeant, I have a part time offsider, we do breakfast and evening meals with a cut lunch during the day."

"Hmm, looks like we might have a good one for a change. OK, throw your kit into the office for now, we've got two hundred hungry mouths to feed."

Shit two bloody hundred.

"We don't stand on formality around here, you call me Tiny, I'll introduce you to the others as we see them. What's your first name?"

"Tony Sar-- Tiny."

"Right Tony grab some whites from the rest room and we'll see how you go."

I went into the rest room and cleaned up a bit and found a set of whites that fitted me. Clean hands and fingernails? I was ready for inspection. Tiny checked me out and gave a satisfied grunt.

"OK You'll do Tony, I'll get you to work on the soup, the stock is already made so it's just the vegetables that need preparing. Grab those two grunts and show them how you want them cut up."

"Are we going to run it through the blender when it's cooked Tiny?"

"Yeah, bung a few eggs in when you blend it as well, OK?"

I set the grunts to work peeling and dicing the carrots and parsnips while I chopped up and peeled some pumpkin and sliced up some onions. Soon we were ready for the stove.

"I usually sauté the onions and vegies first Tiny, OK with you?"

"Yeah, brings out the onion flavour more than just chucking them in the pot. OK go ahead."

A shallow tray and some fat heating up in it, me and the two grunts sautéed the vegies, when they were complete I put them in a large dixie and added the stock, finally putting it on the top of the stove to simmer. I noticed Tiny was keeping an eye on me without being all over me, I think I could get to like him.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.