Roadhouse - Cover

Roadhouse

Copyright© 2009 by Anthony Concept

Chapter 6

Life settled down and I became more confident running the cook house, Fred took a shine to me and treated me more like a son than an employee. He told me that it was him that set me up with the Sarge, he wanted me to be able to use the CRB ute but didn't want to take the chance of me having a smash.

We were having a quiet cuppa when he asked me what I was going to do about National Service. Jesus, here we go again, how long before I get sprung about my age. The only good thing about it was the fact that I didn't have a birth certificate.

"You have to register at the drill hall. When you get your call up I'm going to need a relief cook, this time I'll have a bit of space to find one."

Looks like I'm going to try and bluff my way though this one. "Yeah Fred, 'suppose I have to do that the next time I'm in town."

...

Well here goes, shit or bust, I was outside the drill hall. Taking a deep breath I went in and spoke to the orderly in the office.

"Good morning, I need to register for National Service, how do I go about it?"

He looked up and passed me a form to fill in, "Just fill that in and hand it back to me."

Hmm, Date of birth? what was on my drivers licence? Oh yes, Twenty seven July nineteen thirty four.

Place of birth? that's a tricky one, ah well, in for a sheep as for a lamb. Place of birth Morwell.

Next of kin? None

Current address? CRB camp, Fish Creek, Victoria.

The rest were straight forward relating to illnesses and the like. I finished filling it out and passed it back to the orderly.

"What happens now mate?"

"You will be informed when to attend for a medical exam."

"When will that be?"

"In about three weeks."

"OK, thanks a lot mate."

...

Three weeks later I received a letter informing me where to go for my medical and an appointment for an interview.

I passed the medical and presented myself for the interview.

"Mr Concept, you do not list any next of kin."

"No Sir, I'm an orphan."

"You will need to nominate someone in case of an accident Mr Concept."

"OK, Fred Wallace, he's my CRB Supervisor, will he do?"

"Yes that will be OK. Do you have your birth certificate with you?"

"No, I was abandoned as a baby, there's no record of my birth, the date on the form is an arbitrary one."

"Oh, I see." They went into a bit of a huddle and decided it was OK, I was in. A huge mental sigh of relief.

"You will be notified of your call up date Mr Concept."

"Do you give much notice? My boss has to find a replacement cook for when I go in."

"There will be plenty of notice, we also inform your employer that he has to keep your job open for the three months you are in camp."

...

I told Fred that we had a bit of leeway before the call up. "They told me they would inform you of my enlistment date. Have you got anyone in mind for my replacement?"

"Not as yet Tony, if you hear of a likely prospect ask them to give me a call would you?"

"OK, I might have a word with Brian down the pub, he probably has a few relief cooks on his books."

We talked for a while longer, with him telling me that I would need to go over to the head office in Morwell and let them know about the National Service call up. He also asked me to pick up the payroll at the same time. Jesus, that's trusting me a lot, I'll make sure it's safe on the way back.

...

Thursday saw me driving the work's ute through the hills to Morwell. The ute was a lot smoother than Dom's 'B' model. I planned to visit the orphanage before I went to the office. It had been several months since I had left and although I wrote to Mrs C and Mrs A I felt a visit was in order.

I was greeted like a long lost son, Mrs A put the kettle on and as we were sitting down Sister Maria walked in to the kitchen.

"Well this is a surprise, it's nice to see you again Tony, Mrs Cooper tells me that you have a cooking job, is that correct?"

"Sure is Sister Maria, I'm cooking for thirty men over at Fish Creek CRB camp and I'm really enjoying it."

"Good for you Tony, all those 'punishments' paid of after all."

"I must admit Sister, I deliberately annoyed you so as I would be sent to the kitchen for punishment."

"And you don't think I knew that Tony?, I've been around a long time and I think I know when someone is using the system."

"You knew?"

"Of course I knew Tony, one only had to see the look on your face when you were in the kitchen, you were in heaven."

We all had a good laugh at that, the joke was on me for sure. When I told them about having to go for my National Service, Sister Maria pointed out that I was still only sixteen. I explained my duplicity in getting the job and how things had snowballed.

"During the war several young men put their age up to join the army Tony, some died for their country, those that came back came back as men" said Mrs A. "I think you have already shown us you are a mature person and I give you full marks for wanting to do your duty."

...

After spending some time at the orphanage I drove over to the main office and informed them of my impending call up. Once the necessary paperwork was completed I was given the strong box with the payroll in it.

"You will take the payroll directly back to Fish Creek, do not on any account pick up hitch hikers and do not leave the box unattended, is that clear?"

"Yes mate, to tell you the truth, I'm shit scared of stuffing this up."

"Just do as I said and you'll be OK, now off you go."

I put the strong box on the passenger side floor, just as an extra precaution I threw my coat over it so it wasn't obvious. I drove carefully all the way back home, breathing a sigh of relief when I drove into the yard. Handing the payroll to Fred I told him everything went well.

I was heading over to the kitchen when Max Claxton arrived with our weekly meat delivery.

"Hi Tony, just delivering your last order. Charlie asked me to tell you there's going to be a barbecue and dance at his place next weekend. There's an open invitation for all the boys in the camp to attend. Beer will be available at cost, the barby's free."

"Sounds great Max, wont it be a bit top heavy with all these men attending?"

"Nah, his three daughters are bringing a gaggle of classmates back from college, that's why the open invite is there, they don't want a shortage of men."

"Right, I'll let them know during tea time this evening. Did Dom give you next week's order?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.