Roadhouse - Cover

Roadhouse

Copyright© 2009 by Anthony Concept

Chapter 5

Dom and I discussed the need for a better supply of meat, if the local butcher had put one over Fred by selling mutton instead of lamb I didn't want to deal with him.

"What's the local publican like Dom?"

"He's a pretty decent bloke Tony, what have you got in mind?"

"Pubs usually serve first class food, I wonder where he gets his meat."

"Only one way to find out mate, let's go and talk to him."


Dom drove an old 'B' model Ford so we got in and he drove into town. Parking in front of the pub we went into the bar, Dom spoke to the barmaid and asked for Brian May the publican. A short rotund man came out and asked what we wanted.

"Hi Brian, I'd like you to meet Tony, he's the new camp cook."

"G'day Tony, if you're any good I'll be losing trade, the boys have been coming in here for counter meals, they reckon Dom's cooking is real crook" he joked.

We had a bit of a chuckle over that, "So what can I do for you Tony?"

"I want to pick your brains Brian, my main concern at the moment is buying meat without being ripped off." I went on to tell him about Fred's experience with the local butcher.

"A'Dare's a thieving bastard Tony, I wouldn't deal with him if he was the last butcher around. I get all of my meat from one of the local cow cockies, it's good quality and he doesn't charge like a wounded bull. He usually comes in for a beer around this time so if you hang around I introduce him to you."

"Thanks Brian, I'd appreciate that."

Dom ordered a couple of beers and we sat sipping them, me very slowly, I'm still a bit cautious with alcohol. Soon Brian brought a man over to meet us.

"Tony, Dom, this is Charlie Burgess the cocky I was telling you about."

"G'day Charlie, I'm the new cook at the CRB camp and I'm looking for a reliable source for my meat, Brian tells me he gets good service from you. Would you be interested on supplying the camp?"


"Yes Tony, I'll give you the same prices as I give Brian. I have a mobile butcher come in when I need him, he kills the beast and dresses it out, if you want the meat butchered and packed we can do that for a bit extra."

"That sounds good Charlie, I would prefer to have it broken down and packed but I would still would want the bones for the stock pot and fat for cooking."

"I don't see any problem there Tony, he can mince the rough ends and make snags for you as well if you want."

"Yeah that would be good, I was going to make my own sausages but if he can do it that would save me a lot of time."

"I can supply you beef, lamb and pork Tony just give me a few day's notice."

"I'd like a side of beef as soon as possible, next week I will need some lamb, probably a full carcass, how big are your pigs Charlie?"

"I've got a couple of year olds ready for slaughter, would they do?"

"Yeah, one for next week and we'll see how we go from there."

"OK, how do you want to pay for this Tony?"

"Well the boss told me I can't book anything up on credit, so I'll talk to him when we get back and he can give you a call and arrange payment."

We left with Charlie's phone number and a promise to get in touch as soon as possible.


When we arrived back at the camp I sought out Fred and told him about my arrangement with Charlie, "I told him that I needed to talk to you first Fred and that you would give him a phone call and confirm the order."

"Sounds like you have a pretty good business head on your shoulders Tony, if the local pub deals with this 'Charlie' then he should be OK, I'll give him a ring and arrange payment."


Three days later Charlie's butcher arrived with a side of beef butchered and packed in trays. He introduced himself as Max Claxton.

"Here's you beef Tony, the trays remain my property so when you finish with them I pick them up on the next delivery day, that alright with you?"

"Yeah Max that sounds good, I like the way you have done everything for us. When you do the sides of lamb will you cut the fore quarter into chops for me?"

Max agreed to that and set the delivery date for the following Monday.


With the meat situation under control I next considered the vegetable procurement, I asked Dom if he knew of any local market gardeners.

"Mrs Royston and her sons supply most of the shops in the area Tony, do you want to go and talk to her?"

"Yeah, I think it would be a good move, if I can cut out the middle man I can put a better meal on the table for the same price."

Dom drove us over to Royston's market garden and we spoke to Mrs Royston.

"Hello Mrs Royston, I'm Tony Concept, the new cook at the CRB camp."

"Hello Tony, I've heard you're annoying a few of the local traders by going straight to the source" she said with a smile.

"I'm just trying to get a better deal for my men, I get an allowance that has to stretch a long way, every penny I save means a better meal I can put on the table for them."

"You sound just like a housewife Tony."

"Hmm, I suppose that's what I really am, isn't it?"

"Yes it is, OK, I'll give you the same deal as I give the pub, how does that sound?" By the way the name's Mary to my friends."

"Pretty good Mary, I need to talk to the boss about payment, we haven't sorted that out as yet, I'll place my order and Fred will confirm it over the phone, OK?"

"Yes, that'll be alright, I'll get one of the boys to deliver it. If you need spuds I can get you in touch with a reliable potato farmer."


"I will need a bag as soon as possible, will he deliver them for me? I can pay him on delivery."

"I'll give him a ring for you Tony."


With the vegetables out of the way, the next port of call was the milk factory. I arranged with them for the supply of milk, butter and cheese. That left the chook farm for the supply of eggs and chickens. Another successful arrangement completed and we were on our way back to the camp.

"Jesus Tony! Mary was right about upsetting the local traders."

"I figure that they have been screwing the camp for a long time Dom, we had a similar problem at the orphanage a few years back. Cook finally had enough and told the Sister in charge she wanted to do her own purchasing, the quality improved overnight. The trouble with these people is they think because someone is buying large quantities it's easy to slip rubbish in and jack up the prices, Mrs A soon put pay to that."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.