A World Found
Chapter 13

Copyright© 2009 by Deenara2000

"Heyens," Mike said as he answered his phone.

"He lay-a-bout, how's it going?" asked Jeff Morrison.

"Hey Jeff, you checking up on your former employee?"

"Of course I am. You're the only man I know of that can get shot on the day he purposes to his girl. I want to make sure of what you did so no one else does it. So how's the arm?"

"A pain, but I've had worse."

"We all have. How's Dani holding up?"

"I think she's not sure how she feels but she's talking to me and John and until yesterday had someone with her all the time. People got the idea that she was okay when she took after Josh with a broom handle."

"Good for her." Jeff chuckled, "has she left the house yet?"

"It was one of the first things she did once Margaret let her out of bed. She wanted to see all the new items being installed. She even went to the store with Margaret this morning."

"That's even better. If she didn't have flashbacks or anything like that she should be okay but you should keep an eye on her."

"I plan on it." There was a moment of silence that fell between then two but Mike had the idea that Jeff wanted to talk about something else. "Okay Jeff now that we got all that out of the way, why don't you tell me why you really called."

Jeff chuckled again, "Well I tried. Yes, I called because I have a problem. I should say the ATF and Witness have a problem and it got handed to Frank Evans. The trouble is after he looked it all over he didn't like what conclusions he came to and called me in to talk. Remember he's the one that very much liked the idea of your little security outfit and secure location?"

"Ya, I remember. Go on."

"Well ATF, FBI and that new drug taskforce made a big bust not long ago based on a tip they got from a reluctant witness to several murders by the main target. Well He has good lawyers and very long arms it seems and he has his hands in too many pockets. Well the tipoff came from a kid that saw the whole thing and ran but was later picked up by some locals for shoplifting. She had several priors, but the trouble was that one of the people killed was her step father. Lets just say she was there as part of the purchasing package. But then some of the others got greedy and all were killed but she had been hiding and was able to get away. Well when she got nabbed for the lifting she asked about a deal so she didn't have to go to JDH. It took some time but she finally got to talk to an ADA about it and with her testimony, she and her two siblings stay together and placed with witness protection.

Well problem one is that no one can find the mother. The kid said she had run off about two years before this took place. Problem two and this is a biggie; the Witness people have had to move the kids three times now. The last was one had them evac'ing the place, then 30 minutes later the rooms they were in got shot up."

"Shit Jim, your not painting a good picture are you."

"No I'm not. That's why it was handed to Frank. There are only four people that know about this, the director that gave Frank the file, Frank obviously, me and now you. After that little shooting you had and the group you're with stepping up security big time from what I could see."

"You helped. John told me you brought another load of stuff for us."

"Well you and Dani are ... well Dani's like a daughter I wish I had. She's a hell of a young lady. Though I can't see what she sees in your ugly face is beyond me but I know you practically worship the ground she walks on."

"Hey thanks, I think. So back to this trouble you have what else can you tell me over the phone."

"Not much as I don't have a lot of info yet myself. I can let you know about the kids. There are two girls ages 16 and 7 and one boy age 6. I guess the two little ones have had it rough, from what I was told they've both been abused. Their old man was a piece of crap. I think I'll leave it at that but the damage might already be done as the little girl hasn't spoken hardly at all except to her little brother and from what I understand he protects her fiercely. The oldest is a smart cookie but needs direction."

"When do you want to do this? I mean we're going to need to have some time to set things up."

"Well I was thinking that we might use one of those little cabins in the back. Rotate eight sitters for the kids and just sit tight until they can get a grand jury together for the girl to testify too, then it's back into hiding until the trial. We can only hope that the ass takes a plea deal but I'm sure there's going to be a long drawn out court battle."

"It gives them time and lets the DA make mistakes and even if they get a conviction it might be overturned and they have to start all over again," said Mike with disdain.

"Ya I know. But all I can do is the best I can. So what do you think? Will Dani let us do this?"

Mike thought for a moment. He could just hear Dani telling Jeff what and where to put his idea. "Well First she's going to want more information and so do I but going on just what you told me Dani will order you to bring those kids here. She won't put them out in one of the cabins but let them have some of the rooms on the top floor. She'll have you add to the patrols outside and have an extra person in the house but she'll want to take care of those kids. I won't say bring them unless I talk to her but that's what I think she'll say. Now when do you have to make the transfer?"

"In about three hours but I have no plans in place yet."

"Good lets get Dani on the line and you can tell her everything you have and let her help with getting those kids here." With that, Mike reached to the phone base and pressed several buttons.

Dani was in her office when her phone rang. With a glance, she knew it was Mike and she smiled. She reached and hit the speaker button, "Hello handsome, how can I please you today, my love?" Dani giggled.

"Umm Darling, I have Jeff Morrison on the line with us."

"Oh," Dani giggled even more. "Sorry. How are you Mr. Morrison?"

"I'm fine, Dani. And please call me Jeff," answered Jeff.

"Alright."

"Dani, Jeff has a major problem and he needs our help or more to the point yours. I'm going to let him tell you all of it," stated Mike.

Dani felt herself shift in to a serious mode when she heard there was trouble. "Mr. Mo ... Jeff, please tell me what this is about and how I can help."

Jeff spent the next several minutes going over everything again for Dani and as he did she build a picture of what he might want and found that she didn't like it; Not with the little ones in need of care and love.

Dani's security system had been updated and new features added; one being able to know who was on the property. Quickly she checked the security check-in's to see who was on site and found that John Steiner and Beth Hamilton, two of the security company owners were on site. She smiled to herself and sent the two a page to come to her office.

"Ok, I have John and Beth coming to the office. Jeff, I don't like what you want to do as I'm sure Mike has already told you. I won't let you just hide them away in a hole. But from what you outlined those three are in the middle of a nightmare. So no offense to you Jeff, we're going to do this my way."

Dani and Mike could hear a big sigh from Jeff as she said that and Dani smiled again. Just then, John and Beth walked into the office. Dani quickly outlined what was going on then went into what was going to happen, "Okay Mike I want you, John and Beth to head out. You're going to get a van from some car dealership. We need one anyway and this will work for timing for that. Mike once that's done you can drive back here. John and Beth will pick up Jeff. Jeff you will contact the people transporting the kids and have them meet you someplace open but somewhat safe. What direction are they coming from?"

"Their coming down from the north from what I was told. I did call and talk to the agents and they aren't happy," answered Jeff.

"I can imagine." Dani quickly pulled up a map of the area that would have places marked on it and found a Wal-mart about halfway between her estate and where the kids were coming from. "Okay you're going to call them and have them meet you at the Wal-mart just off the freeway just outside Springfield which is about an hour and a half from here. When you make the transfer Jeff I need you to do some shopping for me." Dani reached into another draw and pulled out one of the gift cards that she had purchased. "Those kids aren't going to have much and we really don't want them to feel anymore isolated than they will."

"Dani I don't know a thing about shopping for kids let alone girls." Jeff said with just a bit of surprise in his voice.

"I'm sure that they have had to have sent a female with the kids ask her to help you. Now get paper and pen ready as I'm going to give you the list."

Jeff sighed, he hated when his wife did this to him but here he was having to put up with it from a 16 year old kid.

"Okay give it to me."

"Dani before you do John Beth and I are going to take off. What should I do to pay for the van?" Mike said before Dani could start.

"Swing by the office and I'll give you a check and they company can call the bank to verify it or you could just use the card I gave you. It should cover it." Dani said as if it didn't really mater but in truth at the moment it didn't.

Mike shook his head at the memory of when Dani had given it to him and he all but fell over when he was told how much of a limit it had but then it really was for extreme emergencies. But then finished getting what he needed together.

"Jeff I'm closing my end of things but you should still be on with Dani."

"Okay." Jeff answered and just sat waiting.

"Now Jeff," Dani said as she handed John the gift card. "I just gave John the gift card and he and Beth are heading out the door." Dani chuckled a little as both Beth and John came to attention and saluted her with big smiles on their faces. "Lets keep this down to things that are simply the basics. When you get to the pick up point you're going to get the sizes of all the kids from either the file that should be with them or the oldest sister or the protection agent. Then load the kids and let John get under way. I'm sure he's going to do every thing he can to watch for traps and tales. Now go in to the store, get a cart and start. Socks, undies, t-shirts; size appropriate of course, now for sleep wear get a pack of men's large colored T-shirts for each of the little ones and an extra large for the 16 year old. Now get sweat pants for each, as well as a sweatshirt with hood. If they're cheap get two pairs of sweat pants. A pair of shorts or two for each should work out for most anything else as the weather is going to stay nice and shorts are cooler. Now if your are daring and think you can live though it when you ask for sizes get the older girls bra size but as you can never know the true fit without trying them on, get a sports bra for her. If you can pick up some color books and crayons for the kids and a stuffed animal or something like that for them too. Even though I'm the same age I don't think I have any idea what kids my age are into so I couldn't tell you what to get for the teen."

Jeff was surprised that he could keep up with all that Dani had asked him to do but then he had to do the same thing with his wife and she was faster doing it too.

"Okay, do you have any questions about anything on the list?"

"Nope, I think I have it all but let me read it back to you and make sure." Jeff said and rattled off the list all most like Dani had said it. "How's that?"

"Great and thank you for doing it. I know the kids are going to need more but right know if we get them that much then they can feel like they have things again."

"Dani Thank you for doing this. I know it was just an idea when Mike left here and I really never thought about doing it but you have the next to perfect set up."

"Thanks." Dani said happy that she was doing the right thing. "If you spend more than the two hundred that's on the card let me know and I'll get you another one to make up for it or just pay you back."

"Oh don't worry about that anything I spend I'll get back from the Feds and so will you. And you will get paid for taking in this little group. Hell I could probably get you the money back for having to get that van. But that would be pushing it unless things like this are going to happen more often."

"Well let's just play that by ear. Now I have to get two rooms ready and I'm not sure if I have enough beds but I'll see what we can do. It's just a good thing that I had all that stuff from up there moved out to the barn for safe keeping. If I didn't you would have been having to use one of the cabins."

"Well we still could so how do we want to work the extra people I should send to you to take care of those kids?"

"Talk to John when he gets back. We might be able to work them in with his people but ... well..."

"You don't know if they're are any working for the ones trying to get the girl. Ya I have that in my head too. Well for know I'll just have to wait and get with John. As for right now, I need to get moving. We might have some things here I can send with the kids so they have more to play with." Jeff finished with the thought that they had some leftover stuff from the school supply raiser and Christmas stuff too.

"Okay see you when you get here."

With that, both Jeff and Dani hung up. Dani looked up from the phone to see Marge, Sandra, and Jenny standing at the doorway. Dani smiled. "How much of that did you catch?"

"Dani," Marge answered, "I just have a question. What could make some one go after kids like that?"

"Dani what trouble can this cause us?" asked Sandra.

Dani looked at Jenny to see if she was going to say anything but Jenny just waited.

"Okay here's the beginning that you most likely missed. The older girl saw a murder, actually several murders including her stepfather's. The men or man that did it doesn't want her to testify to what she saw. She made a deal with the DA that would keep her and her family safe. Her mother split just over two years ago and no one can find her and the kids have no other relatives, I'm guessing. The two youngest have been abused and the girl hasn't talked to any but her little brother and that's just been a word or two according to what Jeff was told. Now we have two rooms left and I need to see if we have any more beds. If not I need to get someone to go and buy them and get them here in the next three hours."

"Dani, my mom just put some stuff in the donation pile that was from me and Pete. The little ones can go though that and see if anything fits," offered Jenny.

"I put some out there not long ago as well and I think it's still there. We didn't do our normal run this month so there might even be something for the older girl." Sandra added.

"Good that will help. Marge is Josh busy?"

"Nope, he and Peter are keeping Dale amused. But let's check the rooms first then attack and send people for stuff."

Every one was in agreement with that and the work began.


John and Beth were still chuckling when they loaded into the big cargo/passenger van. The man at the dealership had checked and rechecked and checked again as to the validity of the MasterCard that Mike had. Then checked his Id several times. It was lucky that Mike still carried his government Id too or they would have never of gotten out of there. But after Mike had tossed them the keys and helped to transfer two bags to the back of the van John and Beth left and Mike took the car back home.

It was about forty-five minutes later that they picked up Jeff, who tossed some stuff into the back and attached a government plate to the van, headed for the pick-up, which was another hour.

John pulled into the parking lot of the Wal-mart and found a good spot well away from everyone. It wasn't long before another van pulled up along side theirs, both side doors opened and Beth jumped out of her side and taking position near the back, as Jeff got out of the front. John stayed in the driver's seat just to be on the safe side.

When Jeff had gotten out of the van, he was met with a very stern looking woman. If he didn't know that one of the two agents he was to meet was female he would not have been able to tell. "You must be Agent Abbot. I'm Senior Special Agent Morrison. I'm glad you were able to get here with out too much difficulty."

"Yes, I'm Agent Abbot and my partner is Agent Bachelis. Here's the file with all the pertinent information in it about both the case and the children."

Jeff didn't miss the disdain that the woman put into her voice when she said the children.

"Well why don't you introduce me and we can get them and whatever they have transferred over to our van so that they can get on the road. I am going to need your help as I'm letting them go ahead. I need to get some things and I thought you might be able to help me."

"No offense Agent Morrison but once I intro you to the kids and they get in your van my partner and I have orders to get the hell out of here."

"And where did you get such orders?"

"Our supervisor," Agent Abbot said and turned to the van and waved the kids out.

Jeff had to really restrain himself from snapping at the agent as she was so abrupt with the kids but when the two smallest came out holding each other, it all but broke his heart. With even more effort he put a smile on his face and introduced himself before the other agent could.

"Hi guys I'm Jeff. I just want to let you know that everything is going to be alright."

When Jeff looked at the older girl, she looked like she was going to say something but held her tongue. Then Agent Abbot handed him a small bag, told the kids to get in the van, which they did, then got into the van she came in, closed the door and took her place in the front passenger seat and told Agent Bachelis to go.

Clyde rolled down his window, I'm sorry but we did get orders to leave as quickly as we could. The kids will need lunch, as we haven't stopped other than for bathroom breaks and what's in the bag was all we had time to grab when the order came to evac. Please take good care of those kids. They deserve it." And with that he rolled up the window and left.

It was a moment after the van left that Beth seemed to wake up. "What the hell just happened? That woman acted like she was handing us a bag of..."

"Beth!" John said from the front seat.

"Sorry Sir."

"You're not far from the truth. That bitch hasn't said a kind word to any of us since she was assigned to us," stated Val.

"I'm very sorry to hear that. When we have time, I need for you to give me a full report about it. How she acted was not only inappropriate but also intolerable. But let's start this over. I'm Jeff Morrison. Your driver is John Steiner and this is Beth Hamilton, she's your guard for this trip." Jeff said and stuck out his hand. The little girl flinched and the little boy moved just a bit to put himself in front of his sister.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.