A World Found
Chapter 11

Copyright© 2009 by Deenara2000

The pizza place was only about half full when Dani and her little group got there. Jenny and Peter wanted to hit the games even before they ordered the food. Dani gave each kid a bag of tokens once she had them and had several more waiting for after the food was delivered.

Mike had just retrieved the food when a cute five year-old ran right into him. Dani laughed at the face Mike made as the young one was at just the right height.

"Kimmy, be careful. You know better than to run around the tables!" said an older man as he came up to take hold of the little girl. "I'm getting too old to try and catch you before you get into trouble."

"It's alright. I'm just too tall for my own good." Replied Mike.

"Well she knows better. But ... hey don't I know you from some where?" Asked the old man.

"You do look somewhat familiar." Replied Dani as she came up to Mike's side taking the pizza from him and putting it on the table.

"You look familiar to me too but I just can't place where we've met before." Added Mike.

At just that moment Jenny and Peter came running up calling for Dani's attention. It didn't take long to see why; the two kids had their hands full of game tickets.

"Dani, Dani, Dani, Look at all these tickets. We can get anything we want in the gift shop." Cried Jenny.

"I'm going to get that sword they have in the window!" yelled Peter.

"I don't think your mom would like that. But we'll look later and see what they have." Stated Dani.

"Dani," repeated the old man. "I do know you. Your Dani Orchard. We met when you ran out of your house when someone broke in. Then again later at that restaurant robbery, " he smiled.

Dani looked at the man but still couldn't put the face with a name. Mike however could.

"Officer Jennings, it's good to see you."

"And you Mr. Heyens. I see your still taking care of this little lady."

"I am but she's taking care of me too. But I also have help." Mike laughed and when he looked at Dani she was blushing.

It took a moment for Dani to compose herself then she turned to the officer.

"Why don't you join us? There's plenty to share and there's enough of us to help watch this cute little one." Dani offered, smiling sweetly down at Kimmy.

"I like her Gampa. Can we Pweeese." Sang Kimmy.

More laughter rang out. "Now how can I say no to two pretty ladies." He said which earned him a very big smile from his granddaughter.

So the two joined the party.

Jenny was the one that spent the most time playing with little Kimmy while her brother challenged both Mike and Josh to different games. This left Dani sitting with Mr. Jennings or Bill as he asked to be called. Then he let out a long sigh.

"If I'm not being to bold Mr ... I mean Bill, you seem a bit frazzled. Is everything all right?" Dani asked.

"I'm just not used to using all the extra energy. I can chase robbers and drug dealers all day but I can hardly keep up with my own grandchild."

"I think your doing a wonderful job. I'm sure her mother is glad to have a father that can take her every once in a while."

"Well Kate didn't really want to have me take her for as long as I have had to."

"Oh how long have has she been with you?"

"You don't have to worry about that..."

"Bill, one thing you will learn is that I'm observant, I can tell when people are trying to be stronger than they are. If there is something I can help with I'd like to try."

"That's sweet of you but unless you know a good babysitter that I could feel comfortable with there really isn't anything that can be done."

Dani started chuckling. "Bill you need to look around. I'm not watching the kids though I can see Jenny and Kimmy at the slide right now. And Mike isn't either though he's over with Peter playing that shooting game."

Bill was confused and really started to look around. That was when he saw the young man that had been with the group near the girls just watching them but still managing to play one of the games.

"I don't think I follow."

"Josh, who was eating with us, is the babysitter for the two kids. He's not been more than two steps away from the girls since they went back to playing on the climbing structure. If Mike weren't playing with Peter then he would be in a different place so that he could watch both and wouldn't be playing games."

"I thought you would have been watching them?" Bill said as he turned and watched what Josh was doing and could see that he wasn't really watching the game he was at, but the girls, while still letting them feel like they had some space.

"Now why would a young man like that be willing to sit on a Friday night? I would have thought he would have had a date or something."

"Well he hasn't had time to really look for a girlfriend since he got here. I'm sure you heard about what his father did. His last name's Baxter by the way. But the short version is that Josh's dad broke his arm and now Josh has to have surgery to do some repair work and so can't really get into the plumbing stuff he would like to do but was needing some money. So the kids begged him to sit for them so their mom could go to work and not worry."

"Wow, that's something. I wouldn't have wanted to waste my summer doing that. But now that you mention the name I thought I read a report on that. Didn't you have some other problems with someone with that name?"

"Josh's dad. He took a swing at me. He even attacked Mike and another friend of ours. He got something similar done to him, which happened to the two men that broke into my house. Only this time I punched." Dani said with lots of pride in her voice.

"I'm sorry I missed it. I was off that day. But I did read the report about it two days later. I wish..."

"Bill I'm sure you took a look around my place. I've a game room, a library and a swimming pool. But even more important, I have a security team now. Gated entrance, cameras, and other things, as well as people to monitor and patrol all of it. I'm working to rebuild the company my father had. The corporate lawyers are trying to get us a hearing to try to get the company that my father owned back on it's feet even if it's owned by someone we can't find. We've gotten some people back working but I'd like to get more."

"You've taken on a whole lot little Miss. I don't know many your age that would even think about starting such a project, let alone do it." Bill paused for a moment then got serious. "Dani I'm going to asked something to put my mind at ease and you might feel it's an invasion..."

"You want to know what's going on between me and Mike?" Dani interrupted. She had guessed that when his voice changed that he might ask about the two of them. "Well the easiest is to say that I love the man. I do believe that he loves me but both of us know that I'm too young for one and two is that we're both too busy to start something like that." Then Dani blushed, "We've kissed a little and held hands. He's a good man and hasn't tried anything and won't until I'm ready."

"That's good to hear, I didn't feel like having to arrest him for child abuse or something worse."

The two were quiet for a moment as they watched the girls run over tickle Josh and go running up the stairs to the top of the slide. Dani continued, "So would you like me to ask Josh if he could handle another kid or do you want to do that? Just to let you know that next Thursday he's going to be getting ready for his Friday surgery."

Bill thought about it for a few minutes. Then he smiled, "I'll just go chase the girls for a moment and then go talk to him. But will it be Ok if I bring her over for him to watch at your place?"

"It should, he lives there too. His aunt is a great cook and his uncle is the grounds keeper. And with the others around nothing can happen to her. And Jenny will have someone to play with while her brother works with Mike, Josh or one of the others."

"Thank you Dani, you just saved me from having to take a family day from work. I have to work Sunday so I'll go talk to Josh and see what he thinks."

"Ok then, come back and we can talk some more." Dani finished.

Bill nodded his head but got up to go see and play with the two girls for a moment then went over to talk to Josh.

About 20 minutes later, Dani was still sitting alone when two young men sat down abruptly on each side of her. She had been facing the table on the bench and when the two sat she could feel a third standing behind her.

"Well, looky what we have here." Said the boy on Dani's left.

"Looks like someone was bad and got stuck watching the table for it." Said the boy on the right.

"I wonder just how bad she was. Come on baby, why don't you tell us just how bad you are." Said the lefty again.

"Boys before you go doing something that's going to get you into trouble or my fiancée and grandfather return. I think it would be wise for you to leave." Dani said calmly.

The boys started laughing madly. The two boys on Dani's sides didn't worry her but the one behind her did. She felt that he was just out of elbow range and was waiting for something. The boys made more comments and nastier and nastier suggestions that were starting to get on Dani's nerves. Dani told the boys several time that she was not interested and to leave.

She had just about enough when the boy on Dani's left made a grab for her arm and the boy one the right went for her purse. That was all Dani needed. Again speed was Dani's biggest asset and with her hands made into fists, she flung out her arms, catching the two boys in their noses causing them to bellow in pain. Then hoping the one behind her was in shock and a bit slow she let her body slide from the bench and under the table to pop out the other side. When she stood with the table between her and the others, she was the one that was shocked. The manager had the third boy by the back of his head holding him by his messy hair.

Out of the Corner of Dani's eye she saw Mike, Josh, and Bill working their way through the thin crowd. The look if anger and menace on Mike's face chilled Dani that it worried her for just a moment that he might actually do something.

"How many times do I have ta kick your dumb asses out of here for messen with the customers!!!!" Yelled the manager at the boy he held.

"What the hell is going on here? Dani are you OK?" Mike stated as he came to Dani's side.

Dani was about to answer when the manager did.

"I'm sorry folks. My sister's boy here and his dumb friends most likely thought ... well ... I can't even imagine what they thought. I tried to get to them before they grabbed the little lady there but she's fast with those hands of hers."

"Those boys are lucky she wasn't standing in front of them." Stated Bill, "the last ones that tried to hurt her ended up being permanent sopranos." Bill finished with an evil smile.

"Ms. Orchard I really am sorry..."

"Orchard! You mean the one from the papers!" stated the boy that had been on the left. All three boys moved at least one hand down to protect themselves.

"Oh shit! She's the one that kicks balls and keeps them as trophies!" said the boy that had been on the right.

"Steve Brown that's enough out of you! I'll not have you say'n stuff like that in here!"

"Mr. Ackerman if these boys have been such a problem I think their next point of education would be to have Officer Jennings here call a few of his friends. Let them see just what can happen if they keep going down the road they seem to want to go." Grinned Mike.

"Yes, that would give them a good education." Added Bill smiling just as big.

"That might just be what these boys need. Lord knows I've talked myself horse and my knuckles raw from trying to pound it into their heads."

All three boys groaned as they knew this time they weren't going to get out of trouble as easily as they normally did.

At that time a server came over with two damp cloths and tossed them to the boys that had been hit in the nose, both had been bloodied but were not broken. Mr. Ackerman, while still holding his nephew stood and discussed the possibilities of the boys' carefully controlled education of proper manners.

The next morning was interesting and not what people expected as the front gate called saying a rather upset woman and her son wanted to see Dani. Dani have been sitting at the kitchen table eating breakfast and watching Jenny tell her mom all of what had happened at the pizza place and how much fun she had getting all the coupons that got her all kinds of trinkets.
Well Dani let the front gate know to let the lady in and quickly went to get dressed so that she could meet with the guests and find out what they wanted.
Mrs. Rebecca Blackwood was nearly ready to go ballistic. First her son comes homes home at 5am, making her stay up worrying. Second to find that her "dear" boy had been beaten almost requiring a trip to the hospital. The third and final straw was to find out some little rich missy ordered her goons to do it was beyond her. Mrs. Blackwood wanted to call the police but her son talked her out of it but she couldn't be talked out of confronting the little miss rich thing and making her pay for what had happened. So when she came to the gate and demanded to be let in the people made her wait as they called to get the "OK."

When it came Rebecca waited just long enough for the gate to open for her car before she raced through and up the drive.

Dani got the feeling things were going to get ugly but dearly hoped she could talk the situation out. Dani was waiting on the front steps with Mike, Carol and Jenny when the Mercedes Benz came to a hard stop and a woman got out.

"Hello, I'm Daniella Orchard. I was told you wanted to see me?" Dani said as calmly as she could.

"HOW DARE YOU!!!! I should have you arrested!"

"Madam, as I have no idea what you're talking about, I would ask that you please calm yourself. Then tell me plainly what the trouble is."

"Like you don't know. I should have you put in jail for ordering my son beat by your bully boys."

"Bully Boys? I can assure you that I don't know what you're talking about. There was a minor altercation at a pizza place but when the boys where ordered to leave it was only about 9:00 o'clock and with nothing more than two sore noses."

"Really, well that might have been until you had your boys work my boy over in the parking lot. The evidence was all over his face!"

"Madam, I don't even know which of the three boys you're talking about." Stated Dani who was now started to get a bit upset at the lie being told.

Rebecca turned back to the car and signaled her son to get out. Dani was not the only one to gasp. The boy's face was one mass of bruises.

"What the hell happened?" Dani exclaimed.

"Like You..." Rebecca started.

"Lady, when your son left the place his nose was a little red and sore and there wouldn't have even been a bruise." Dani moved down the stairs and looked at the young man, "What happened? Who did this to you? And why did you tell your mother we did it?"

Dale turned his head away in shame but couldn't suppress the whimper that came out because of the pain from the movement. Dani of course noticed.

"Carol, I think your services are in need here," Dani called over her shoulder and moved closer to the boy but her way was blocked.

"You just stay away from him! He doesn't need your help!" Rebecca yelled.

"Madam, Mrs. Thorton is a nurse. And even I can see he's in pain. Let her look at him and then we can go from there."

"Your just trying to clear your conscience about what you did!"

"She only thumped him in the nose. It was him and his friends that were going to cause trouble." Stated Jenny

The lady turned and looked at the little girl on the stair. " I don't want to hear anything from you, you don't know what happened." Rebecca stated then turned back.

"Yes I do. I was there. We never saw the boys again after the manager tossed them out.

Then he gave us extra tokens and opened the prize box so my brother and I could cash in our coupons for prizes." Replied Jenny, she was standing very stout and proud.

Clearly Rebecca was not prepared for this information and turned to her son. Dale was just looking at the ground.

Dani moved over and lifted the boy's head very slowly, "Who did this to you? And I want the truth."

Dale didn't say anything at first then quickly dropped his eyes and whispered. "You had your..."

"Stop and tell the truth, Now!" Ordered Mike.

"I'm..." Dale looked up but found himself looking at the large man that was with the girl before him.

"Tell your mother the truth! Do not make us call in Officer Jennings."

"What?" exclaimed Rebecca then she turned to her son, "Dale, I want the truth and I want it Now!"

"They did it! This one and, and another man, they..." Dale started.

"Stop Lying!" Mike demanded.

"I'm not!"

"You are." Mike said calmly, "First off if I had beat you, you would be in the hospital or dead. I'm good and very well trained. As well as the fact that I could have just shot you and been done with it. But the police officer that was with us last night might not have liked that too much. But then I don't go around shooting kids for being stupid."

Again Rebecca exclaimed and turned to her son and glared at him.

"Dale, I want the truth, this is the last time I ask." Dani said calmly, "You have to the count of 3 and then I'm calling Officer Jennings. I'm sure your mother would believe him." Dani paused for just a moment, "One ... Two ... Th..."

"Alright, Alright! You didn't do it! I lied. Can I go?" Said Dale.

"But who did it? And why?" Asked Dani.

Dale mumbled something but no one could understand it. He didn't want to say what had happened after he had lied to his step-mom. He also knew it was very likely that she would start hitting him, again, making him hurt even worse than he did.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.