A World Found - Cover

A World Found

Copyright© 2009 by Deenara2000

Chapter 10

For some reason to Dani, Tuesday felt like it should have been a Monday. Saturday had been busy with getting all of Carol's remaining belongings packed and moved. More people came to help after they heard what had happened so it was done in just one day. Sunday, people came back to Dani's place to help move some things for Carol. There was such a feeling of family that Dani had Mike and Josh get the Barbeque out and a party began. When Monday came everyone was dragging a bit and just wanted to rest. But Now Dani was standing in the hall of the courthouse waiting to go in for Mr. Baxter's hearing.

Josh was nervous. He didn't know what was going to happen. He could just picture his dad getting off and coming after him. That wasn't his biggest fear. His biggest one was that someone else would be hurt when his father came. That was something he didn't want to happen and he was not going to let it if he had anything to say about it.

The doors opened and everyone went into the court room. Dani sat next to Josh with his Aunt on the other side of him. Josh's uncle sat on the other side of his wife. Mike sat on Dani's other side. Then the sheriff brought in Don Baxter. The man glared at his son and then at Dani as he was led to his seat but after that he didn't look at anyone.

The prosecution started reading the charges and Don jumped up and screamed. He was restrained, but when he did it again a bit later, he was taken out of the courtroom. After a short break he was brought back in. He was heavily shackled and told that any farther out bursts would only get him charged with contempt and fined.

Again the charges were read and a plea of not guilty was entered. Now the witnesses were called. The first was Josh.

Josh told how after his mother had needed to be hospitalized and then killed herself that Josh's father had turned on him and started yelling and accusing him of stealing and other things. Josh had never realized how much abuse his mom had taken so that he wouldn't be subjected to it. He told of the bruises and the broken fingers, the broken nose and busted lips. He told of the trips to the hospital and the prosecution brought out Joshes medical file and that of his mother showing years of abuse. The file even mentioned the request for an investigation of abuse and how the local police wouldn't do anything. The sheriff's department was the same.

It was mentioned that both local departments were being investigated by the FBI for abuse of power and corruption. However no charges were pending at that time as the investigation was still on going.

Josh was asked about how and why he had gone to the Orchard's Estate. Josh told what he did and why. Then he told of how Dani and Mr. Heyens had found him hiding out in one of Dani's cabins on her property. He even told how Mr. McDoogle reacted when Josh showed the pictures he took of the injuries that he sustained at the hands of his father. The prosecution now showed the pictures and explained that Josh had taken them himself. The defense tried to object that the pictures would be inflammatory. The Judge over ruled the complaint and the pictures were shown.

The next question was about the day of the barbeque. Josh told about the events of that day and told how scared he had been. Then he testified how Dani had stood up to his father and what she said to him and how his father subsequently took a swing at Dani. He then stated how he saw his father doubled over holding his stomach and Mike, Mr. Heyens, had gotten there by then and placed his father under arrest.

The testimony continued with Josh being taken by Dani over to see Mrs. Thorton to have his good arm looked at just to be safe. That Dani had told him how Mrs. Thorton was a nurse that had come to the barbeque. But then he didn't know what happened but he heard his father bellow and when he turned his father was charging back around but not at him but for Dani. Josh finished with telling about how Dani dropped and punched with his father running right into her fist.

The prosecution said it had no more questions. The defense attorney tried several things to get Josh to mess up, however, Josh stuck to the facts and the truth.

The next to be called was Dani. She was asked about finding Josh and then the party. She was asked why she didn't run when Don came at her. Dani answered that two children were directly behind her and she didn't really have anywhere to go and was not going to leave an opening for someone else to be hurt.

When the defense started his cross examination he started asking things that had nothing to do with the case at hand. After the third time he had been called on it and told to stop Dani turned to the Judge.

"Your Honor, I would like to answer that one, if I may?"

"All right, I'll allow it, Miss Orchard."

Dani turned back to the room, "For years fathers, mothers, teachers, and self-defense instructors have told young girls that if someone is trying to hurt you that you do whatever it is you have to do to get away. Most have told those girls that if a man is trying to hurt you, you kick him in the crotch. Two men broke into my home, into my room, drug me out of my closet; I had no idea if I was going to even live to get out of the house. I think a kick to the crotch was a very effective way of convincing them to let me go so I could leave the house and be helped by the police."

Nothing else was asked of Dani after that and she was excused.

Mike was called and gave his account. Then several others including Jason McDoogle and Jeff Morrison were called. That ended the day with everyone feeling drained. The next day there was a surprise. Don was out of restraints and was changing his plea to guilty as he had agreed to in a plea deal that was made. Don Baxter had accepted a deal that would give him 5 years in jail and 3 years probation and there was a fine of fifteen thousand dollars, on top of any medical expenses incurred, that would be split with all the injured parties, which were named as Josh, Dani, Mike and Jason.

Dani was just glad it was over as she would be back anyway the next day for the trial of the two men that had tried to kidnap her.

With Mike at her side the next day, she expected to be in court all day again and even into the next day, with the stink that Mrs. McNarry said the defense was planning on trying.

When the defendants were brought in and the charges were read the men were asked how they pleaded. The men looked at their lawyer, turned back to the Judge and pleaded no contest.

Once the judge recovered from the surprising plea, he called the two lawyers up to the bench. No one could really hear what was being said but when the two lawyers walked back to their places the judge announced the acceptance of the plea. Then just for the record he had the police report read into evidence, He had the 911 tape played so that was in evidence. Then the judge asked if the men were sure they wanted to plea no contest; both agreed again. The judge called a recess to look everything over again and pass his sentence.

The judge sat looking at the two men then said that after every thing was reviewed he found that something didn't sit well with him. He asked the men why they had tried to kidnap Daniella Orchard. The men looked at their lawyer and said that with the plea being accepted by the judge they didn't have to say why. That didn't sit well with anyone but there was nothing that could be done. So the judge gave out 12 years, which would break down to 8 years in jail and 4 years probation. He also said that both men had to pay 10 thousand each in restitution.

With that the gavel came down and it was over. Dani didn't like it and neither did Mrs. McNarry or the prosecutor but there was nothing anyone could do.

Friday started out busy with the arrival of two trucks to start the roofing jobs. Mr. Albano had said that he wanted to get as much done that weekend as possible as the weather report had a bad spring thunderstorm was due to move into the area by the following Monday morning.

The security people had not been idle either, as there was now a temporary fence with a manned gate at the main entrance. Secondary fencing had been placed near the third cabin's exit gate that was not used and was now in effect sealed off. Cameras and magnetic and infrared sensors were placed on all the buildings but the Lynnette's. When the security company and fence people tried to change the gate, which Mr. Lynnette used, he started getting upset, so much so that Beth, who was with the group called John who called Dani. Dani went down to see Mr. Lynnette and find out what the trouble really was. In the end it came down that he didn't want to feel like a prisoner in his own home. So Dani came up with the idea to put up a temp fence from the side of the back gate to behind a large tree, then to another large bush, then a gate where the main path went next to it. The gate would have a coded entry and cameras in several directions. Finally the fence would continue around to another large tree and then back to the entry gate. This seemed to make Mr. Lynnette even more angry.

"Mr. Lynnette, I don't understand what you are angry or upset about. You now have your ability to come and go. But I need to feel safe. I'm only just starting to feel safe after that awful night. Why would you not want to help me with that?"

Robert looked at the small girl that looked at him with eyes that showed the fear that was behind them but tried to be as strong as she could be. He sighed, "Ms. Dani, I just don't understand any of this. It was a random thing. Your father didn't feel that any of this type of thing was needed."

"My father had a personal guard with him 24/7. I found out that Mr. Downey was also a guard. Whenever I was home, the man was always with me. The school even had some people on the grounds."

"Child that..." Robert started

"Robert, I have been going over everything that went into my father's companies for the last 10 years and I've found a lot of strange things that is going to lead the FBI to investigating a lot of other companies and potentially even a few governments. With all of that and what could be coming, I want a chance to see his company back to the way it was and I want to be safe while doing it. If that means that you have to go though a secure gate. Or even if a second closed gate is installed later that you have to use to leave by the back, so be it. Sadly there is going to be some changes that are going to happen. Your Josh's uncle and I don't want to lose you, you've been here for as long as I can remember and I know the changes are going to be hard but It has to be."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.