A World Found
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2009 by Deenara2000

The next morning was not as fun as Dani had hoped for. First when she went down to help with breakfast she was very late. But then Mike walked in and Mrs. Lynnette just glared at him to the point that Dani had to ask.

"Mrs. Lynnette why do you have such a problem with Mr. Heyens staying here. He's taking his own valuable time to see to my safety."

"For that my dear I am grateful, but you should not have him staying with you. Have him stay in one of the cabins. It's just not right. And last night you came in so late with him..."

"Mrs. Lynnette, my honor thanks you for your diligence but it's not needed. When or if something happens it will be my choice. Now I need to tell you that we're going to need things for a barbeque tomorrow. The board members and their families are also coming. I think I'll also invite Mr. McDoogle and his family too. But there is going to be one family that might be moving here; Mrs. Thorton and her children. Her husband had a gambling problem and well ... he took the coward's way out and he left his wife with some big problems. I'll be giving them the option to move in here or in to the yellow cabin if it's still habitable."

"Daniella that's ... I can't believe you're going to do that. Your father would never have thought to do something like that. Why are you doing it?"

"Because it's the right thing to do. If my father had cared enough to help before this point then things would not be so bad. Then again he would not have taken the same cowardly way out of this life, don't you think."

"Daniella, I don't want you to talk about your father like that."

Mike moved forward in a defensive manner and said, "Mrs. Lynnette, I know I really have no right to say anything but from the history I've learned and from just being able to talk to Dani. Her father never helped anyone in the company or himself. We can't even figure out how he kept the company running. Dani is the type of person that most of the people I work with wish they could protect. She's kind, thoughtful and wants to help people. If she had been raised by her father and not the school, she was at, then who knows how Dani would have turned out. You also have my word that Dani is the most important person on this planet to me and I would lay down my life to help and protect her," Mike looked directly at Dani when he said that.

Dani couldn't believe what she heard; she felt the same for the man that was becoming very much a part of her life. But to hear it was something that blew her mind away.

Mrs. Lynnette watched in amazement and disbelief as the two people in front of her fell in love. The words the man spoke were strong and powerful and with the look on his face she could do nothing but believe him. What she saw in Dani's was a fierce pride and hunger of a lioness for her mate. In the back of her mind she reminded herself that she had that same look when she first found Robert.

Dani was the first to break the spell by blushing bright red and turning away. Mike did the same, chuckling to himself. Then Dani turned back to Mrs. Lynnette and told her what she wanted for the event the next day.

Mike didn't want to leave Dani's side but he wanted to do a grounds check and Dani had said she was going to do some clean up in her room before the McDoogles came. And the old cook went to work on creating the best barbeque that she could.


"Thank you for coming Mr. McDoogle to look over everything. I guess I just couldn't bring myself to face what could have happened in there, that I just ignored it. Can I offer you and your sons anything, soda, coffee..." Dani said as she shook the hand of the small man as he came into the house with his two sons, Jason and Pat.

Mr. David McDoogle was of the same height as Dani but his sons were near, if not over six feet.

"No my dear, we're fine. 'Tis I that should thank you; what with the office all but shut down; No one is breaking things and truth be told my boys don't need me tagging along and gettin' under foot at the jobs they got now. Though right now three jobs are stopped until the owners can either make up their minds as to what they want or we get the supplies to finish. However that's how it goes sometimes..."

"Well let me show you the room. I do have an idea about it that I would like to bounce off you and see if it could be done."

Dani led the way up the stairs and down the hall. The first room on the landing had been Dani's father's. It was a functional room with its plain double doors, sitting room, big master bath and the bedroom itself.

The damaged door was clear as several large chunks of wood stuck out slightly from the molding around the door. The fact that several large boot marks with cracked wood also stood out.

"Those F'en assholes really wanted to get in, didn't they?" exclaimed Jason. Which got him an angry glare from his father. "Sorry."

"Don't be. I thought a big rig was trying to get into my room," Dani replied smiling.

Mr. McDoogle opened the door, watching to see how bad it was. He grunted, "Door's scrap. Frame's just as bad."

Jason nodded as he and his brother also watched. He moved passed his father to look at the other side. However the hole in the wall caught his attention, "Holy Mary, Mother of God!!"

"Jason McDoogle! Watch your mouth or I'll tell your mother!" shouted David McDoogle at his son.

"Sorry pop, But Jes' ... Dad look!" Jason said pointing.

The string of words that came from Mr. McDoogle turned his sons' ears red. Then the three men looked to Dani.

"What did they do, come at you with an army?"

Dani didn't know what to say but when she opened her mouth Mike answered.

"Gentlemen, that hole was made when little Dani here kicked one of her attackers in the chest sending him flying. The other ... Well it's lucky that he has kids already as he is never going to function again."

"She ... that ... she..." Sputtered Pat as he and his brother covered their fronts with their hands. Mike just roared with laughter. And Poor Mr. McDoogle just stared.

Dani hadn't really thought about it but now that she did she was shocked. Where had all that strength come from? She asked herself. It was Mr. McDoogle that broke the silence.

"My dear, that is truly amazing. I would love to hear the full story but we have work to do. Boys start taking the measure of the place. Ms. Orchard..."

"Please call me Dani."

"Then I insist that you call me Dave. You said you had some ideas?"

"Yes, I did. I've always wanted a second room attached to my bedroom so that I could do things but not feel confined; you know a sitting room. I was thinking that where the hole is a door could be set. Then this one be sort of taken out or hidden so that you can only open it from inside," The three men looked at each other then went back to looking over everything.

"Dad with the door and frame having to come out we could create a fake facade. It would make everything look Ok. A thick plywood panel with 2X4 supports on the inside, some simple slide bolts and a handle and you would have it. However this side won't look as good," stated Pat.

"We could build a book shelf on it. I did one a few years back for a guy," replied Jason.

"Oh that would be wonderful," Dani exclaimed before she could stop herself. All the men chuckled. Dani blushed and looked away from the others to Mike who was smiling too.

"Alright gentlemen, you've seen and heard what happened and what I would like to have done. Now for the reckoning; what's it going to cost me?" Dani said, as she looked back to the others.

Dave knew what his sons would charge, as he help set the prices, "Well if it was just to fix the door and wall I think about $600 plus materials. I think $750 to $850 plus total to do your changes. Boys could start now and get the door and frame out. Might even be able to get the wall ready. The recycle place will be open tomorrow and we can get the door and some extra stuff that's needed. But the boys have another job to work on in the morning."

"Tomorrow won't be good for working any way. There's going to be a barbeque here and by the way you and your families are invited. Friday or Saturday or even next week would be ok," Dani offered.

"Pop, you and I can do it Friday afternoon. Pat's got the guys working over at the new Mexican place. And really this is only a two person job anyway," Jason said then he continued, "I agree with the cost so why don't we just round it to $800 even. We can get started while you and these nice folks have a look see at that cabin. Depending on what it needs we can think of it as a separate job."

"Before Dani agrees to anything," Mike interrupted, "I wanted to say that as I was going about the property, I looked into the barn. It's locked but I thought I saw some wood and some other stuff that might be helpful."

Dani had forgotten about the barn. Her father didn't like animals so they had none. Soon Mr. McDoogle, Mike and Dani were down the stairs and out the back door, keys in hand. Mike also pointed out the broken and boarded up window of the door, which is where the kidnappers got in and it too was added to the list.

That was when Dani saw the golf cart, "Where'd that come from?"

"Mr. Lynnette loaned it to me. Said that if we were checking out the cabins it's easier and a lot faster than walking," Mike replied.

"What would I do without you Mike," Dani said and gave him a hug. Then she saw Dave. The man had a happy smile on his face that made her blush.

The three got into the cart and headed to the barn.


Dani looked at the contents of the barn, 'There's enough in here to build a whole new cabin if needed.' She thought to herself.

"Mike why didn't you say there was this much in here?"

"I didn't know. I could only see what was in that one corner," Mike said pointing to it.

"We may not need anything to complete your job," Dave said as he looked about, "Some of this stuff has been here for a while but most is still usable. I wish we had this pile here, it would let us finish the Gable job," Dave pulled out his walky-talky, "Jas, Come out to the barn. I need your input."

"OK, pop," Was heard.

It wasn't long before the man arrived and all but fell to his knees. Then bounced from pile to pile like a kid in a candy store. Dani giggled at the antics that followed but had come up with an idea.

"Gentlemen, I just had an idea. Would you accept barter in exchange of a monetary payment?"

"What did you have in mind Dani?" asked Dave.

"Barring what is needed here or stuff that needs to be purchased. How would a truck load of this stuff suit you?"

Jason pulled a small book out of his pocket and stared, wondering about the different stacks of stuff.

Several minutes went by. "WELL?" called Dave.

"Yes pop? Oh, yes pop, oh heavens yes. Sorry about that I was just looking at some of these doors I found. I think someone took out all these and replaced them with plain ones. But to the question of trading, yes; we could get several jobs done and not have to wait for when Gunther decides to get off his ass to do it," There was a pause, "Oh man, look at these French doors. What a shame they're just sitting here. They are just gorgeous."

"Really?" Dani and Mike said together as they made their way to the man.

Dani saw the doors Jason had pulled out. They were indeed beautiful. Someone had done an inlay of a large rose on each door.

"Jason, can you call your brother and ask him to measure the French doors on the master bed room please," Mike asked.

Three sets of eyes fell on Mike but only two caught on. Jason called and also started measuring. Needless to say they matched perfectly. That was when Dani caught on.

"Oh Mike," Dani blushed again. Then she turned back to Jason, "Those doors deserve to be seen. How much extra would it take to have you replace the other doors?"

"Nothing. Pat can pop those doors out in minutes and these will grace the top of that landing like they should. You guys go look that cabin over while I take these inside."

"Jason, I've pulled out everything you're going to need for the room repairs. I've got it by the door," Stated Dave.

"Thanks dad," Jason called out as he called his brother back with instructions.

Dani was all but floating as the group made their way out to the cabin.


Dani couldn't wait until Mike took the key and opened the door when they got to the cabin and walked in. Dani followed taking note of how dark it was and turned on several lights and even started opening windows when Mike stopped her. He put a finger to his lips to signal quiet then drew his gun.

Dani slowly backed away and looked around, that was when she knew why it had been so dark. There was clear evidence that someone was living in the house. Dani had moved back and right into Dave. Dani was surprised by the strength she could feel in the older man's arms as they wrapped around her protectively and the two backed up and out the door just as there was a yell, "Freeze!"

"Please don't Shoot!!!"

Dani knew the voice right off, "Josh!" then Dani moved back into the house, "Joshua Baxter get out here!"

Mike, still with the gun aimed at his target pushed the young man into the main room. Mike noted how small the kid was and wondered just how long the kid had been in the house.

"Dani please call him off! I got no weapons," Josh said with a whimper.

"Josh, what the hell is going on? Why are you hiding out here?" Dani asked.

"Dani I ... I ... I couldn't take any more and ... I ran away," Josh said and hung his head in shame.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.