A World Found - Cover

A World Found

Copyright© 2009 by Deenara2000

Chapter 1

Dani was never one to let money go to her head. It wasn't her money anyway but all the people around her thought it was. Dani or Daniella was a 5'4" 115lb, daughter of a rather wealthy industrialist. He owned several major companies and held stocks for many more. Her father was also a mean, arrogant, power hungry man that took what he wanted when he wanted it and there was nothing that anyone could do.

However, Dani was not something he wanted. He was not into women at all for that matter. He married Dani's mom only because he made a mistake and Connie (Dani's mom) became pregnant. When Dani was five Connie became very sick and died from a very aggressive breast cancer. This left the overly busy businessman with something he didn't really want or need, other than for looks. So a governess had raised Dani until she was about eight when she was sent off to a boarding school.

Dani hardly ever saw her father. He never came to see the plays or any of the father-daughter events that occurred but after her mother died she never attached herself to anyone.

Dani was a very good student and had A's in everything that she studied. What made her different was that she cared for others. She would volunteer for anything working with the homeless or less fortunate. She joined fundraisers to help different organizations that helped with food and clothing programs. She even worked with programs that were fighting against her father. But for all she did, he never noticed.

By the time she was fifteen, Dani was well on her way to finishing high school before her peers, and getting a degree in accounting and business management. She was even earning a salary from her father's companies, as she would work with their accountants from time to time. She showed them that if they made contributions to organizations that she liked helping, that they would show the company as being community conscious.

With what she could earn, which was not all that much, really only about $500 a month, and a small allowance from her father, which was $200, Dani was able to save quite a bit and even invest some. The schooling, thankfully, was paid for in advance for each five-year stretch. The first stretch took her to her twelfth birthday and this second would get her to her seventeenth and graduation.

That was until she turned sixteen and things changed drastically. Her father committed suicide. This took Dani home to a house that she only saw for three weeks at Christmas/New Years break and four weeks for summer break. Now she was at this house to take care of funeral arrangements. Then there was the business side of things. That's when things got good and bad for Dani.

Dani's father had left a will; it would seem, but did not name Dani as the beneficiary to his business estate. Instead it named some strange organization that no one had ever heard of, although the house and land it stood on, that Dani lived in was not part of that and did transfer over to her as the only living relative. That was the good part. The bad was that the businesses owned by Dani's father were now being investigated for several counts of security fraud, embezzlement, and quite a number of others things that the federal government came up with.

"Ms. Orchard, I'm sorry for your loss and I'm sorry that we have to call on you like this so soon after your loss, but we have some questions as to your involvement in the companies that your father created." said one of the three officers of the local three-letter government agency.

"Thank you, but I don't know how much help I can be. I did work part time as a charity consultant. I found out several years ago that my father's companies were donating very little to help anyone. It took me some time but I did manage to show that donating did help with the image of the companies. But it was still small and I had to work for the organizations in order to get his companies to sponsor them."

"We have seen that in the records. It looked like you worked for three different organizations. Is that correct?" asked the same man.

"Yes, I think I worked about 3-5 hours a week at each one, although they were not to pay me. I would get paid about $8.50 an hour from the company. The company would then donate two times what I made to the organization."

"The records have been looked at as I'm sure you know. And according to those records the numbers were ten times what you just stated. It would have looked funny with the amount being so low. It also looks like you were doing some dipping..." The man started to say.

"Sir, I have never and would never do such a thing. But then I couldn't do such a thing, I didn't have access to those funds. And to counter what the company shows." Dani got up and walked to her closet and pulled out several file boxes and walked back to the table where she had been sitting.

"I'm sure you have talked to those at the organizations and saw what they have, I hope that would have told you what you wanted. Nevertheless, I have kept very detailed copies and reports of everything I have done for them. These are certified copies of agreements that I have made on behalf of the organizations as well as time cards." With that she pulled out a file. "This is a copy of the original agreement with my father's companies. With it are copies of the agreement with the organizations and how the disbursement of the funds were to be done and by whom."

Dani gave the man time to look over the papers and watched as his eyes bulged. Then he passed the papers to one of the others to look over. The frown that came to the man's face was very distinctive. Dani offered coffee or tea to the men as they all waited for the one on the phone to finish. Then that man made a few more calls before handing the papers back.

"It is very surprising that a young woman like yourself is so prepared. Almost like you expected something like this," the man stated.

"I'm sorry that it looks that way. By the age of ten I knew my father only as a ruthless businessman. I saw enough to know I needed to cover my tail if things went bad. In school I was so meticulous that it was thought I had some kind of compulsive disorder. I don't, I'm just thorough. I had also heard too many tales of fraud and the like to want to get caught up in any of it. I would guess that now we wait and see if the papers from the charities match up?"

"Kid, your father should have had you running the company. I doubt we would be here right now," said the first officer with a smile and a chuckle. "I do have some concerns however, you're a minor all alone, what are you going to do and where are you going to stay?"

"I'll be staying here for the time being. I've been in contact with a realtor about the property and to see about selling it," Dani started.

"I'm sorry but as a minor you can't do that. Hell you should be placed in foster care until someone can find a relative to take you in," said the third officer.

"You must not have gotten the records from my school yet. They have a policy that when a student completes all high school requirements they become emancipated. Technically I graduated high school three months ago and as of last month became emancipated. Now that leads me to other matters. I know the account that my pay came from has most likely been frozen but what about the trust fund that provided my allowance?"

"Your trust fund was set up by your mother before she died, just after you were born. I'm surprised that the firm that is controlling that has not sent a representative to see you about it. But to answer your question, no it was not frozen and should be making its normal disbursements to you."

Dani sighed, "That's good to know. It may only be $200 but it helps. Most of the rest of my money is tied up at the moment and I think I only have about $1500 that I can use to live on at the moment."

"You only get $200 from it. That's not enough," said the second officer.

"It is if you only need to get some clothing every once in a while or something special. The school was paid for and meals were included. I guess I need to talk to them about a small refund, as it doesn't look like I'm going to be going back. That will help some too." Dani took up her day planner and made a note for the next day. There was some more small talk when the second officer's cell phone went off. There were several exclamations and curses but then the man closed the phone.

"I'm afraid we have to take all your files to get them verified. Though it is clear that what you have and what the charities have seemed to match. What the company has is way off."

"I expected that as well. I have a form then that I need the three of you to sign. It is to show that all documents are handed over and that all envelopes were sealed at the time you took them. It also says that you are responsible for the condition of the documents and that they will be returned in good order." Dani went to another filing cabinet and pulled five copies and carbon paper then started to arrange them.

"I'm sorry we're not allowed to sign anything like that."

"Then I would have to come with you as I have no idea what might be done to them and it would not be in my best interest to let them out of my control. Now if you have a warrant then it might be different as a warrant makes the same guaranties." Dani smiled at the three officers.

The second man looked like he was going to argue the point when the third spoke. "Jim, cool it. She's good. And for a kid it's amazing. She's using her head and is covering her bases."

"Ya, I guess you're right. Kid's almost too smart for her own good." Jim chuckled. "I'll call and have them send a warrant over to make this official," and turned to call the office back.

"While he does that, is this all of the stuff that is most likely going to be asked for?" asked the first officer.

"No, I have two more boxes." Dani stated.

"I assume they are in the same closet?"

"Of course. Should I let you get them so as not to be seen as possibly tampering with anything?"

"Why don't you let me get them, just so you don't have to lift them." said the officer with a smile. Dani pointed out the boxes and the man brought them both out and set them on the table.


It was a four-hour wait for the warrant to arrive so there had been plenty of time to talk and learn about the small group and to order pizza. The first officer was Captain Jim Corsair. He was married with three kids, a boy and two girls, was fairly tall and had a thick build. Next was Lieutenant Randal Marshal. He was working on his second marriage but had no kids as yet, and was also tall but very thin. The third, a Lieutenant Mike Heyens, was not married, had no kids and was not looking for that just yet in his life. His stature was somewhere in the middle of the other two agents. Both of the lieutenants had military training and one of the lieutenants came from the city of Portland where he was on the drug task force. The Captain came from a family of policemen and just continued the family business so to speak.

In turn the three men learned all they could about the incredible sixteen year old that was continuing to amaze them. Dani even asked that one call the boarding school and verify her emancipated status just to be on the safe side, although she did offer a certified copy of that too.

To the surprise of the three men as the warrant showed up so did a child welfare worker.

"Ms. Orchard, I need you to pack a bag and come with me please." said the pudgy snobbish woman.

"I think before I go anywhere with you I would like to see some ID and know who you are?" Dani answered.

"I'm Ms. Crandle, of Children's Services. You'll be coming with me as our office has been informed that you have no guardian at present and no relatives have been found." The woman said as if that would be enough.

"And your ID please." Asked Dani

"Look here missy I will not have you..."

"Madam, I have the right to verification as to who you are. For all I know you could be some child stealing maniac." Dani said, with a straight face, which almost broke when she heard chuckling from the three officers.

"Do not take that tone with me young lady. I have told you who I am and that is enough," Ms. Crandle said.

"It might be enough for you but clearly not enough for her or for me. I'm Captain Corsair. Now I would like to see your identification and for you to tell me why you are here."

The woman was clearly not expecting to be challenged, stormed back to her car and got her ID. "There, that's me. Now I have other things to do today so if you would let me get this over with I can get on with other work." The woman turned and was about to take hold of Dani's arm when Randal stepped between them holding the emancipation document.

"Ma'am I think you need to review this case just a bit more." and he handed the document to Ms. Crandle.

The woman quickly scanned the paper, turning five shades of green then ten shades of red in the process. "This document must be a forgery," exclaimed Ms. Crandle. "Nothing in my files says anything like this. Where did this come from?"

"From the Law office of ALM and Associates. And I personally verified it with the boarding school. Ms. Daniella Orchard was fully emancipated as of last month. This property is hers and she has an income so she is in no immediate danger, other than being put into a system that is over busy as it is." Replied Randal.

"This is highly irregular. I'll have to verify this as well as the rest of the file. In the mean time the girl still needs to come with me."

Just then the warrant arrived with several other men. One walked to Captain Corsair and gave it to him. Jim looked it over and was surprised that it also included a search of the property and detaining of Dani but did not specify why.

"Ma'am I'm sorry but she can't go with you at this time. I'll be taking her in for further questioning. Most likely in regards to the documents she is being asked to turn over and with the statement you made earlier you can go. It seems that you have nothing further pending here."

The woman sputtered but in the end there was nothing that she could do but glare at everyone and storm off.

Jim turned to Dani, "I'm sorry but you do have to come with me back to the office. It would seem that someone wants to talk to you."

"I had the feeling that someone would, other than you. I'd like to stay until the others have finished going through the house to make sure nothing is damaged; not that they would do anything on purpose, of course. Though I can't think what they would be after. My father's computer and home office was searched after he killed himself. I don't have that much and the only things on my computer would be homework stuff. I keep nothing financial on it. Too easy for someone to get a hold of all the info, now isn't it."

The two lieutenants had already brought out the boxes in question and her computer of course. Then to her surprise Mike brought her, her jacket and purse. As they were getting into the cars Dani heard one of the other men talking to his friends. "Is this all there is? I can't believe I was pulled off of the stake out to do this."

"I'm with you. Everything was ready and I found nothing else in the house that could be of importance."

Dani lost the conversation as she got in the car and it took off.


Dani sat in the room that they put her in and waited. To her surprise she didn't have to wait long.

"Now I assume you know why you're here?" said the man in a very deep voice. It was like the guy that did the voice of Darth Vader from Star Wars.

"I cannot assume anything Sir. I can only make an educated guess as to the reason, given the facts and evidence that I know of."

"Interesting, and what is your guess then?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.