The Occasional Mind Reader - Cover

The Occasional Mind Reader

Copyright© 2009 by Cold Creek

Chapter 16

Brian dragged himself out of bed at seven and had a quick shower which woke him up somewhat. He got dressed in a decent suit, gave his ladies a soft kiss and went downstairs quietly. He left the condo and with a can of diet coke and the door opened one floor down to let Stacy, Tim and Betty on.

"Morning everyone" Brian said.

"Morning Boss" Stacy replied.

"Morning Mr. Trainer" Betty said and Tim echoed.

"So, how far is the new law firm?" Brian asked.

"Pretty close actually, just down 57th a few blocks" Stacy said.

"Good. Any more ideas about the property?" he asked.

"Not really. I was pretty beat and went right to bed actually" Stacy replied.

"So were we so no problem" Brian assured her.

They reached the lobby, walked through it and out into the bright sunshine to the limo. It was a quick drive to the new law firm and they soon were ensconced in the boardroom with Henry and Archie.

"So, we've done a thorough review of all the files Brian and it looks like the value of the fund will actually be about 500 million, not the 565 million that they made up. There is close to 150 million that the partners and the owners have squirreled away in accounts around the world or in properties that they have purchased with the fund's money but control through dummy corporations" Henry stated.

"How long will it be until we can get our hands on it?" Brian asked.

"It could take years to get convictions and then get the property and money back" Archie told him.

"Well, they will have to make returning the money and properties part of the plea bargains that will be probably offered" Brian stated. "No matter for now, we'll consider that money gone for good and proceed on with what we have."

"That's a mature approach Brian, most people your age couldn't give up that easily on that much money" Henry stated.

"Well, I never had it or earned it so I'm afraid it's rather easy to let something go you never saw. Like I said earlier, a good portion will go to charity, so hopefully that will encourage Mark and the others to get it back" he replied.

"Ok, we need to make some plans going forward on what you want to do with the fund" Archie stated. "An awful lot of the fund is tied up in resorts and hotels, companies and properties."

"I like the fact that it is pretty diversified actually" Brian responded. "I plan to visit each company, resort and hotel, and even the properties here in New York to get a feel for them and to assess whether we should keep them or sell them off. It's too early to tell on most if they are valuable or not. Miss Burns can also research them and we can make informed decisions on everything within a couple of months."

"The stocks and bonds will need reviewing as well" Henry reminded him.

"I have no clue on those. Archie, as an accountant, are you capable of doing that review and advising me on them?" Brian asked.

"Probably not, but I can get an investor friend to do it for a minimal fee. Your Grandfather has used him as well" Archie replied.

"Ok, let's do that then" Brian agreed. "So, are we in agreement, I will visit the assets while Miss Burns and yourselves will research from here. If either of us find something bad or, after a visit and the research is done, we all decide to not to keep the asset, then we can divest ourselves of it as quickly as we can. If we like it and it generates a decent profit, we'll keep it. After a couple of months we can sit down and make future plans and a more definitive direction for the fund to go in. Of course the stocks and bonds will be reviewed and can be acted on as soon as that review is done."

"Ok, that sounds fine Brian" Henry said. "The residences are part of the fund as well. You can make decisions on which you want to keep or sell as well."

"Yes, for now we'll keep them all, and definitely the two film companies" Brian stated.

"Hmmm I wonder why those two in particular" Henry said with a smile.

"Well I couldn't have my girlfriend working for anyone else, now could I?" Brian smirked.

"I don't suppose that would be a wise decision" Archie agreed with a grin.

Henry spoke up "Ok, final issue, the property on Fifth street that you own beside the Plaza hotel, has come up as a possible site for a development with the partnership of Rankin, Smith, Delaney and Ross, your grandfather. Now that we have taken over your fund, it seems we have a bit of a conflict of interest. We, of course, represent your Grandfather and have been involved with his deals with the other three gentlemen in the past."

"Yes, I was ambushed last night about that property. I have done some research on the property and I highly doubt that I will be selling or leasing that property out as it's been in the family for almost eighty years. There won't be a conflict as after I meet with my grandparents this morning, there won't be any deal between the two groups. Now I have a question, do you represent any of the other three gentlemen, besides in deals with my grandfather?" Brian asked.

"No, they have their own firms and each deal is done by a different firm each time, with the others just making sure their respective clients are covered properly" Henry replied.

"Ok, that's good to now. I have a feeling that Ross, Trainer and Trainer will be developing that property themselves and you'll know for sure after our meeting. Miss Burns would of course be involved in the project for me and you for the Ross end of it" Brian told them.

"I think that would be a splendid thing to do Brian" Archie said. "Your Grandparents will be so happy to hear that I'm sure."

"I hope so" Brian said. "Ok, this is all top secret as is the fact that Emmy, Heather and I are heading out in the morning on a mini vacation and then our asset inspection trip. I will stay in contact with Stacy via cell phone and emails daily and you two can do the same."

"Sounds good Brian" Henry said. "Have some fun and then get started on your inspections. If you need any help with your actual inspections, let Stacy know and we'll fly out an accountant or an expert in the companies' field to accompany you around for the day."

"That's a great idea. Stacy will be coordinating the visits with me, so for the companies at least, we should definitely do that" Brian said. "Gentlemen, Stacy, thank you so much for the great work so far, and for all of your help getting this fund back on track."

"You are most welcome Brian and good luck" Henry said while shaking his hand.

"You have some fun with those ladies of yours Brian" Archie said as he also shook his hand.

"Thanks Gentlemen. I have a couple things with Stacy so I'll let you get on to more important things" Brian said.

"Ok, see you later Brian" Henry said as they got up and left the room.

Stacy, is tomorrow's trip all set with Gary?" Brian asked

"Yes Sir. It's all taken care of. Call me when you get there and I'll confirm with the caretaker to let you in" Stacy replied.

"Good. Now I have a couple of housekeeping things back in Pontiac I would like you to take care of. Can you get that security team to monitor a move of my stuff out of that apartment into a storage facility? I'll take a hit on my security deposit but it's not big" Brian asked.

"Sure, I'll handle that first thing. What else?" she asked.

"Can you send a check to Christy Marshal of Marshal's Marshal Arts in Pontiac just down the street from the apartment? Put a note in it that tells her I won't be in my courses for a while but appreciated the opportunity. Make the check out for ten grand and let her know it's to help her get back on her feet for a few months."

"That's a nice gesture Brian" she said. "I'll be happy to handle that for you. Anything else you need done?"

"There was a private nursing company that was sending a couple of nurses to look at my head. I have no idea who it was other than their names were Helen and Allison. My mother might know who they worked for. They just need to be told to cancel the service as I won't be back for a while" Brian told her.

"I'll see what I can do" Stacy said looking a bit puzzled as she thought about how to go about finding the company.

"Thanks Stacy I appreciate it greatly" he responded.

"No problem Brian. Have a good vacation, you need it!" Stacy said.

"I will; it's been a hectic few weeks. Ok, I'll talk to you tomorrow from Miami" Brian said as both got up and left the room.

He left the office after saying his goodbyes and was quickly inside the limo.

"Ok, back to the Plaza please. I have a meeting with the grandparents and depending on the outcome, we might be seeing the sights today Tim" Brian said.

"Yes Sir" he replied and told the driver to head back to hotel. "Just give us a little notice and we'll be fine. I assume it would be all six of you going out then?"

"Yes it would be all of us spending the day together, so you would need at least one more car for your men and women as we'll be packed in here" Brian stated.

"Thanks for the heads up" Tim replied.

They were back in the hotel in ten minutes and Tim left the elevator on the floor below while he went up to the condo. Brian entered his condo quietly and found no one downstairs so he went up and saw his beauties still sleeping, now cuddled up with each other. He took off his suit and got into some shorts and a tee shirt and went back down to the kitchen and got the coffee brewing and breakfast going, this time some pancakes with bacon and sausages.

The bacon and sausages were sizzling in the one frying pan and he was just pouring the batter for first set of three pancakes into the second frying pan when his mother came in.

"Good morning Brian. Was you meeting cancelled" she asked.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.