The Occasional Mind Reader - Cover

The Occasional Mind Reader

Copyright© 2009 by Cold Creek

Chapter 13

Brian woke up with Heather beside him and looked over to see it was half past seven. He snuck out of bed and grabbed a quick shower before dressing in jeans and a golf shirt and heading downstairs. His mother wasn't up yet so he got everything ready to make some breakfast for a few people if they got good news at eight. The coffee pot was put on and bacon was thawed and bread put in the toaster while he got out the frying pan and the eggs for frying.

Brian went up back and woke up Heather, telling her it was almost eight.

"Shit Brian, why didn't you wake me up earlier? I can't go get Emmy looking like this" Heather bitched.

"Just put on a cap and she won't notice a thing, she'll be so happy. Here, I brought you a cup of coffee" Brian told her as he handed her a mug.

"Well, as soon as we're back over here I'll jump in the shower" she said grabbing the cup.

"Remember Emmy will need one too Heather" Brian remarked.

"She can use the one in the spare bedroom or did you want us to share one up here?" she said angrily.

Brian knew better than to answer that with an affirmative right now.

"I'm sure the bathroom downstairs will be fine" Brian said before leaving her alone.

Brian went downstairs and grabbed a diet coke and waited for Gary. At precisely eight o'clock, there was a knock on the door. Gary entered with a briefcase and waited for Brian to shut the door and then they walked into the living room.

"Great news Mr. Trainer, we got the buggers. It was Charleston and the head of security here at the hotel like you thought. We got to their computers and erased everything as well as the back-ups. We also got all of their hard copies of all of the people they had been blackmailing. Charleston even told us about his storage facility where he had all his money from all his different blackmail schemes. I emptied it all out, money, data, pictures the works. He had it all down in a book with names, dates, amounts, everything.

The head of security, a Marvin Rogers, planted the bugs and set up the computer to record everything and then passed it to Charleston. We got that computer and all of his copies as well, both at the hotel and at his home."

"That's fantastic Gary. How sure are we that we got it all?" Brian asked.

"We used some Sodium Pentothal on them as well as some other techniques you don't need to know about. Suffice it to say, no one has been known to hold back any information when these are used. They were giving up stuff they did in high school before it was all done. Charleston told us about some stuff he did with the fund too, I have it writing for you" Gary assured him as he handed over a sheet of paper.

"That is great news. So what's in the suitcase?" he asked.

"The money they extorted from Miss Rossum, as well as some of the remaining money they took from their other victims" Gary informed him. "I've already destroyed all of the data and pictures so there is nothing left of any of that."

"Ok, let me get Heather and she can go and get Miss Rossum so we can give her the great news" Brian said. "We'll try and find a way to return the rest of the money to the others and let them know everything is destroyed."

"That sounds good to me Mr. Trainer" Gary said with a smile. "Just so you know, they are both still alive but Rogers was made to write a resignation letter and told to disappear. Charleston was told to say it was a break-in that he didn't bother to report to the police and it was suggested he not go into work for a day or so. We're keeping an eye out on both of them to see if they do anything but what they were instructed to do. We left any evidence of trust fund criminal activity we could on Charleston's office computer but had to take the computer from his home to destroy all of the blackmail evidence. A good computer guy would have found some of the stuff if we didn't. Finally, we told them to never talk to each other again and never to mention any of this at any time or they would disappear for good."

"Thanks Gary. You've gone above and beyond and please make sure everyone is well rewarded" Brian said with a smile.

"We're glad to be of service. My guys knew they were doing this for a sweet young lady and wanted to make sure she was taken care of" Gary said.

Brian went up to get Heather. She was in the bathroom looking angry trying to get presentable.

"Great news Heather, Gary and his team have gotten it done. They even got all of her money back as well as some they embezzled from others" Brian said. "Are you ready to go get Emmy now?"

"No I'm not. I'll just have to go as is" she retorted as she tried to fix her hair.

"Listen, you have a shower and get ready and I'll go get her" Brian said getting pissed off as he walked away and down the stairs.

"Gary, I'm going to get her, I'll be back in a second" Brian said as he walked by.

He walked out the door and down the stairs to her condo and knocked on the door.

Emmy opened up and looked upset.

"Oh no, it's not over is it?" Emmy said quietly.

"No, good news it's all over. Heather wasn't ready to get you so I came instead" Brian said with a smile.

"It's really all over?" Emmy asked Brian and then jumped into his arms when he nodded.

"Oh thank you so much Brian" she said as she hugged and kissed him.

"You're welcome. Now grab some clothes and come to our condo so they can get rid of the bugs forever" Brian instructed her.

They walked back up and entered the condo to find Gary and his mother sitting waiting for them.

"So this guy says it's all over and everything has been found?" Emmy asked looking hopefully at Gary.

"We got it all Miss Rossum and your money back too" Gary said as he opened up the case and handed her the three envelopes she had left for them.

"I can't believe it. Thank you so much Gary, you don't know how happy you've made me" she said as she hugged him with the envelopes still in her hands.

"We're just doing our job Miss Rossum. Mr. Trainer pointed us in the right direction and made it all possible" Gary said lightly patting her back. "Now, if you would be so kind to give me your key and your security code, we will remove all of the bugs and reset your security system so this can't happen again."

She handed him her key card and told him her password.

"Ok, we'll scan Miss Rossum's condo and then come back to do your Grandparents; let's say ten thirty if at all possible Mr. Trainer" Gary said while moving to the door.

"That sounds like a plan Gary. Thanks again" Brian responded before locking the door behind him.

He went back into the living room and saw Emmy hugging his mom and crying on her shoulder.

"Hey this is supposed to be a happy time, not a sad time Emmy honey" Brian said looking worried.

"She just needs to let it all out Brian, this is when she doesn't have to be strong and can just relax" his mother said. "Why don't you go and start that breakfast you have set to go in the kitchen?"

"Ok, breakfast in twenty ladies" he said as he moved away from them.

Brian went in and got the frying pan warming up with some oil and then cracked six eggs in it while the bacon went into a second pan on high. He noticed there were two cups left in the coffee pot so he poured two and put them on a tray with sugar and cream and brought them out to the living room for Emmy and his mom. He put them on the table quietly and smiled at his mom before heading back. He set up the coffee pot again and then turned over the bacon and flipped the eggs.

The first pieces of toast were next on the agenda so he got them pushed down and then got four plates out and lined them up on the counter as well as the butter, salt and pepper and ketchup. The bacon needed rescuing so he took them out and put them on another plate with a paper towel to absorb the grease. The eggs were just right for over easy so he put them on three of the plates and started another batch of six.

The toast popped up and he buttered the four of them and spread them amongst the three plates and put four more pieces of bread in to toast. He added some bacon to each plate and then lightly salt and peppered the eggs. He found a large tray and put the three plates on it with utensils and napkins and brought it to the dining room and set it up before getting the girls out of the living room to start eating before it got cold. Brian went back in and flipped his eggs and buttered the toast when it popped out.

He placed three of the eggs on the toast and added bacon strips onto those and then salt and peppered and finally added the final touch — a ketchup swirl to mix with the runny yolks. He put the extra eggs on another plate and brought it out to the dining room along with the rest of the bacon.

"Who needs another egg and some more bacon ladies" he asked cheerfully.

"I'll take another one and some more bacon please" Emmy responded. "I'll take that toast too if no one else wants it."

"I can make more, go ahead Emmy" Brian responded. "Heather, Mom another egg, some more bacon?"

They both took some more before he sat down with his plate and a glass of orange juice.

"Brian, what is that you're eating?" Heather asked looking disgusted.

"It's the same as what you are eating my dear, except I added some ketchup and put it all on a piece of toast" Brian said with a smile. "Do you want to try it?"

"No way Jose" she replied. "How can you destroy your eggs with ketchup?"

"His Dad was the same way, ketchup on anything vaguely meat" his mom said, looking just as disgusted.

"Ah, quit picking on him girls, he cooked us a nice breakfast didn't he?" Emmy asked before adding "Even if he is a barbarian!"

They all laughed at him but he just kept eating his egg and bacon sandwiches ignoring their attempts at ridicule.

When they settled down he got serious for a minute.

"Ok after we're done, Mom or I will call my grandparents and have them come here for ten" Brian started. "Emmy, I'm going to have to tell them a little bit about what happened, but I'll just tell them they got some nude pictures in the bathroom."

"Ok, thanks Brian, I wouldn't want them to know about the other thing. I don't think they would like me anymore" she said.

"I don't know them well enough to know one way or the other but discretion is probably the best course" Brian agreed. "So after they agree or get their own security to do the scan, I will then ask them for help with the trust fund transfer to a new firm or setting up Stacy Burns as the new manager quickly. This will take up most of the day and maybe Sunday so all of you can listen in and help or relax here or in any of the condos. Gary wants us to stay in the condos but he might let you shop on the main floor if he has people to accompany you. We'll ask him when he gets back from Emmy's condo. Does anyone have any questions or comments?"

"I'm going to grab a shower and just relax for the morning. Maybe in the afternoon we can go shopping if you ladies want to. I don't want to listen in on your family business so I'll stay in the spare bedroom if that's ok?"

"Don't be silly Emmy. The men will be in here anyway looking over the books and talking strategy so we can be in the living room or upstairs in the big room up there. You don't have to hide away. You're part of the family now" his mother said with a smile.

"Thanks Mrs. Trainer, you three and your parents have certainly made me feel welcome and on top of that you've saved me from those horrible men" Emmy said with feeling.

"Ok, I'll clean up while you ladies made Emmy presentable as she looks such a mess" Brian said grinning. "I'll call my grandparents in about fifteen minutes which should give them enough time to get ready to come over for ten."

He got up and started grabbing the dirty dishes from the table as the ladies defended Emmy. In just a few minutes he had the food put away and the dishes rinsed and piled by the sink waiting to be washed. He was wiping off the counters when Heather came in and offered to help.

"I got it under control Heather; I thought you would be with Emmy?" Brian responded.

"She's a grown woman, she can take a shower and get dressed by herself Brian" Heather said peevishly.

"I'm sure she can" Brian agreed as he finished wiping up and tackled the dishes.

She watched him for a bit leaning against the counter as he cleaned and rinsed the dishes before scrubbing the two frying pans with a pad before washing them in the soapy water. He finished up by draining the sink and wiping up around it before hanging the towel to dry on the oven handle.

"You're an amazing guy Brian" Heather said.

"I am? I don't think so. In fact, I think I'm pretty ordinary and just like a lot of other guys. I think there a lot of us loners that end up pretty self sufficient by necessity because we don't fit in most women's ideal of a romantic hunky guy. I once saw a girl turn down a date from a MIT graduate to go out with a UPS delivery guy because he looked better. The other guy wasn't bad looking or a geek, he just wasn't a hunk" Brian said with a shake of his head.

"That wasn't what I meant. I was talking about a multi-millionaire doing dishes, cooking dinner and breakfast, saving a movie star from blackmail, let alone finding high level embezzlement that people with years of experience couldn't find, all in one day!" Heather said.

"Everything has been pretty straight forward so far using some common sense. I'm used to working and figuring out solutions to problems so the only thing I'm screwing up is with you women. I won't figure women out when I'm a hundred years old, let alone now" Brian rebutted.

"I think you're doing a pretty good job with that as well Sweetie" Heather told him. "One word of advice, stay away from me until after I've had two cups of coffee and been awake for more than an hour."

"I've figured that out by myself. Now I have to hire someone to wake you up and converse with you every morning or we'll break up in a week!"

"I'm not that bad!" she said looking shocked. "I'm just a little grumpy in the morning."

"That's like saying the Great Wall of China is just a little fence" Brian said with a straight face. "Or the Atlantic is a little pond."

"What is?" asked his mom as she walked in on them.

"Heather said she's just a little grumpy in the morning" Brian told her.

"Aw yes, and he's probably like his father, up and at them at the crack of dawn, working hard and he probably brings you your coffee with a smile and a cheerful good morning" his mother said to Heather with a grin.

"Yes, that's exactly what he does!" Heather agreed.

"I wanted to choke his father every morning the first month we were together before I sat him down and laid down the law" his mother said with a disgusted look on her face. "He was to bring me my coffee in an insulated cup and place it in the same place. He then was to wake me up when I had to get up and leave the room for at least an hour. I suggest you two set some ground rules up so you don't end up hurting each other so badly that you can't get over it."

"That is very good advice Mrs. Trainer, we will implement something very similar before tomorrow morning" Heather said in a determined voice.

"Good, you two are good for each other, you just need to get through the usual rough patches that all couples go through" his mother told them before leaving the kitchen.

"Look Brian, I'm sorry for being such a bitch in the morning, but you're mom is right; we should just avoid each other for a bit in the morning so I won't bite your head off and you won't get angry when I do" Heather said. "Maybe Emmy is a morning person and you can talk to her while I get ready."

"I guess this is part of the getting to know each other process that all couples go through" Brian said. "I'll try to tone it down and avoid you as much as possible in the morning."

"And I will let you know when I'm ready to greet the world without wanting to kill everyone one in sight. While we're on the topic, since I'm your first girlfriend, we'll need to discuss PMS and my period in the next couple of weeks. I'm much worse around that time than in the morning. I'd advise a 'caution when approaching' mentality when that starts" she said with a grin.

"Oh that's wonderful to hear. Well, give me some notice so I can schedule my out of town reviews at that time" Brian said.

"Chicken" she retorted.

"Damn right I am" he replied. "Anything else I should know about while we're on the subject?"

"Well, I get jealous pretty easily, I love to shop a lot and have expensive tastes, I love to sleep in and I love sappy romantic movies" she said.

"I'm ok with the shopping and the expensive tastes as I seem to have more than enough money for you to spend; but I will request a fashion show of what you have purchased" Brian responded. "You can sleep in any time you want unless we just have to be somewhere together. The jealousy thing isn't a problem because I can't see anyone topping you in my eyes or heart. The sappy romantic movies could be a deal breaker though — any more than an once a month viewing is deemed excruciating torture and has been banned by the Helsinki Treaty of 1956."

"Well four out of five is as good as a Dentist Association's recommendation so I can live with that. We don't want those pesky Helsikians to rise up and revolt, do we Sweetie?" she said while moving close to him and wrapping her arms around his neck.

"No, they can be pretty vicious I hear" he responded, pulling her close into him.

"Ok, anything I need to know from your side of the equation Brian?" she asked.

"I'm new at this stuff so be patient with me or come right out and say what you want from me rather than assuming I should know what you're thinking. I got pretty jealous and angry when Charleston was hitting on you so let's avoid you having any men within 100 yards of you. What else, I like to watch sports, especially hockey and a bit of football, but I won't make you watch with me. I hate shopping so please don't drag me along with you unless it's lingerie that you need to model for me. I also hate arguing and fighting so let's try and resolve things peacefully before it gets too far" Brian told her.

"Ok, so tell you what I want- that's easy" she said. "Letting you watch sports alone is ok as long as I can watch my romantic movies at the same time. I have to shop alone except when I shop for lingerie is also fine. Avoid arguing and fighting is a good thing. The 'no men in 100 yards' is pretty much impossible but I'll just make sure you know that you're the only man I want or need in my life besides family."

"Well I still think I should have one of my companies develop a man avoidance shield for you but I'll put that on hold for a bit" Brian said as he gave her a kiss.

"We should talk about Emmy" Heather said. "Are you ok with her joining us as more than just friends?"

"It's up to you. If you want her to join us then I'm ok with it. I don't know if I can just have you two do things by yourselves; I think I would go crazy if I knew you two were making love and I couldn't be there with you" Brian admitted.

"Oh I know that Sweetie, just like I couldn't stand it if you two were doing it without me being involved. This has to be a shared thing, maybe not every time but we would have to be a full trio, not just me and her or you and her" Heather agreed.

"Then I'm ok with it. If you want to get it started with just you two that's fine and probably best with her preferences lately, but I would like to be included when you two get comfortable with each other. Just don't flaunt it in my face ok?" he said.

"I'll get you in to watch as soon as I can Sweetie and then make sure I take care of your needs until she wants to join in" she assured him as she ground herself into him.

They stopped talking as they made out for a bit until Emmy came in looking for them.

"Oh sorry guys, I just came in to see how I should dress. So it's basically topless and dishevelled I see" Emmy said with a smirk.

"Yes it is so come over here so we can make sure you're adhering to the proper dress code" Heather said with a grin.

"I don't know if I should get close to you two, I'm feeling like a sheep around two big bad wolves right now" she said. "You're practically drooling over there."

"Shall we have lamb for a snack Brian?" Heather asked as she stepped away and moved towards Emmy.

"She certainly looks good enough to eat, especially once we get her wool off her" Brian responded following Heather.

Emmy laughed and quickly exited the kitchen with the two of them hot on her heels.

She ran into the living room where his mother was and said "You were right, they were making out in there Mrs. Trainer. I'm not sure it was safe to go in there, they seem a bit feverish and foaming at the mouth" Emmy said as she plopped down near her.

"Why do you think I sent you dear?" his mom said grinning. "I knew they would chase you out here."

"I was the sacrificial lamb was I?" Emmy asked as Heather sat down beside her and wrapped her up in her arms.

"Of course, isn't it always the young beautiful woman that gets picked?" his mother asked with a laugh. "Ok Brian, are you ready to call your Grandparents over?"

"I guess so now that you two have ruined my morning make up session with Heather" Brian said with a frown.

"The girls will have to make it up to you tonight" his mom said. "Ok, let's get this started. You have a lot to get done this weekend and the girls and I need to go shopping."

"Yeah Brian, hop to it mister" Heather said when she heard about the shopping.

"Yes Ma'am" he replied as he reached for the phone.

He got a hold of his grandfather and asked them to come over at ten for an important meeting. There was a pause as his grandfather went to see if his grandmother was ok with it and then came back on the phone saying they would be there in half an hour.

"Ok, we have half an hour Ladies" he told them.

"Ok, let's get into some decent shopping clothes ladies, we're going into some high end shops and we don't need to look like country buffoons" his mother instructed the two younger women.

"Yes Mrs. Trainer" they both said as they got up.

"Come on up Emmy, you can wear something of mine" Heather said, pulling her up the stairs with her.

"Elegant stuff today girls, my mother won't approve of something too sexy" Brian's mother warned.

"No miniskirts and halter tops, gotcha Mrs. Trainer" Heather said as they raced up the stairs.

"Save those for tonight ladies" Brian shouted up to them.

"Ok, I'm going to get ready. You better set yourself up in the dining room and get the coffee pot brewing" his mother advised as she got up.

Brian followed her advice and got all the binders into the dining room and the laptops set up and ready to go. He flipped a couple of binders to where he wanted to make a point and got the folder out with the firm's new proposal. After everything seemed to be in order for his session with his grandfather he moved to the kitchen and got the coffee pot cleaned and brewing and made sure there were water bottles and soft drinks a plenty in the fridge.

He heard a knock and went to the front door to let his grandparents in.

"Hi Grandfather and Grandmother, thanks for coming over on such short notice" Brian said with a smile.

"Hello Brian my boy" Bruce said. "We're glad to see you anytime."

"Come on in, we have a few things we need to talk about" Brian replied, leading them into the living room. "Please have a seat while I let the ladies know you've arrived."

Brian went down the hall to knock on his mother's door and told her that her parents were here, hearing her reply back that she would be out shortly. He then raced upstairs and found the girls in matching bra and panty sets putting on makeup in the bathroom.

"Wow, a more gorgeous sight a man has never seen Ladies" Brian said in awe. "You two are absolutely stunning."

"Thank you Sweetie, though Emmy seems a bit shy so let's give her some privacy shall we" Heather said, leading him out while Emmy grabbed a towel to cover herself.

"Oh sorry Emmy" he said over his shoulder as she dragged him away.

"What was it you wanted Brian?" Heather said as he turned back and was staring at her body.

"Oh yeah, my grandparents are here so come down as soon as you can dear" Brian said, still looking her over.

"We'll be down in a few minutes. Now Brian, watch where you're walking before you fall down the stairs" Heather told him as she grabbed his chin and forced him to look at her face.

"Yes Ma'am. Sorry for staring but you're so beautiful" Brian said with a smile.

She smiled back and said "Apology accepted and you can stare at me all you want tonight Sweetie. Now go back down and keep your eyes forward."

"Yes Ma'am. Please tell Emmy how sorry I am to barge in on you two, I wasn't thinking" Brian said.

"I will Brian" she assured him.

Brian went back down without a tripping incident and asked his grandparents if they would like some coffee. He went in and poured four cups and then set it up for another four before carrying the tray back to the living room. His mom had joined them in the meantime and was chatting nicely with her mother when he entered.

"Here you go people, please help yourselves to cream and sugar. The girls will be down shortly"

"Brian, you have more than one girlfriend already since Thursday night?" his grandfather asked. "That's my boy!"

"Bruce!" Alice said in a disapproving voice.

"No Grandfather, Emmy Rossum is staying here right now. That's part of what we needed to talk to you about" Brian informed him.

"Well, this sounds interesting Brian. Well you couldn't have picked a more beautiful young lady to have over" Bruce said chuckling.

Brian smiled and went back for a diet coke and a glass of ice and returned to sit down on a chair. The girls came down a couple of minutes later looking absolutely gorgeous in mid thigh length dresses that were elegant without looking trashy.

"Wow, would you look at those two lovely Ladies" Bruce said.

"You two could be sisters" Alice said. "You are both so beautiful."

"Thank you Mr. and Mrs. Ross" Emmy and Heather said before sitting together on a loveseat.

"One of you can grab that last cup of coffee and I'll go get another one that should be done now in the kitchen" Brian said as he stood up again.

He was back in a flash and handed Heather the cup of coffee with a smile. They all watched as she got her sugar and had a sip.

Brian started off by saying "It's been a hectic few days since I first learned about the trust fund, let me tell you. We invited you over for two reasons — one to let you know about an issue that we had to deal with and second for help with an issue we found with the trust fund."

"Ok, we're all ears Brian" Bruce said.

Brian explained about the security that Miss Burns had implemented and what they had found here in the apartment.

"Who would do such a thing Bruce?" asked Alice.

"I don't know but I'll get to the bottom of it immediately" he said angrily.

"We know who did it and why Grandfather" Brian said.

Brian went on to explain about Emmy and the pictures, how they had found out who was responsible and how they took care of it, without going into too many details.

"Oh you poor thing Emmy dear! Why didn't you come to us right away? We would have helped you out, no questions asked" Alice said.

"They were watching everywhere and told me not to get anyone involved" Emmy replied quietly.

"That brings us to why we are telling you now. It's probable that your condo is bugged as well so I can have my team scan it for you know while you're here" Brian said.

"Our condo" Bruce said angrily. "They wouldn't dare!"

"I hope not but why don't we err on the side of caution and let Gary and Bob check it out?" Brian suggested.

"I suppose so Brian. Thanks for thinking about us" Bruce replied.

"Good, they should be here any minute. They're just finishing up with Emmy's condo and will come here right after. They didn't mention anything about you when they told me what they had found so hopefully they didn't bug your place" Brian responded.

Gary and Bob showed up and his Grandfather took them to their condo and got them started. He returned shortly after.

"Those two seem very competent Brian" Bruce told him.

"I think so, they handled the situation professionally and discreetly while recovering Emmy's money and the all of the evidence" Brian responded. "Nothing will ever be made public or get to the police."

"I might have to hire them to put some extra security in place for us" Bruce said.

"They are the best in the business. I put them directly working for me instead of the firm or the trust fund yesterday" Brian informed them.

"Ok, on to the second issue we brought you over for" Brian continued. "We know that the three firms responsible for the trust fund have embezzled millions from the fund and were prepared to steal even more if I re-signed with them."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.