Kat the Hunter - Cover

Kat the Hunter

Copyright© 2009 by Bad Writer

Chapter 6

An hour later they were pulling into the parking lot of an abandoned home improvement warehouse. The store's original name had either been stolen or removed after they closed down but the phrase "The world's most unusual..." was still up over the door.

"Did this place close cause of the recession too?" Kat asked.

"No, its been about ten years now. I guess you can only have so many giant hardware stores." replied her Uncle.

"Its been empty here for ten years?"

"Here yes, but hardly empty. There are quite a few unnoticed businesses."

With that George parked the car close to to a retaining wall away from the building's entrance. He explained that it was better to let the neighborhood think that the building was still unused as he led her up to the lumber yard. Inside, the cavernous space had been subdivided by many different means. Immediately to the left was a saloon out of the old west minus any windows looking out. Soft light from oil lanterns shone above and below the swinging doors. Alongside the saloon was a shanty that looked like it had been made entirely from scraps of used plywood fitted together like a giant jigsaw puzzle. Across from them was geodesic dome made of old tents of many different colors. The whole place was filled with smaller places before Kat could look around anymore her Uncle led her into the saloon.

The saloon was just that, an old west bar complete with player piano standing silently in the corner. The only other patrons were a young couple at a table in the back. The man busy whispering in his companions ear causing her to blush and giggle. Kat badly wanted to let her vision go back to its normal state to see what they really looked like but Uncle George had stressed to her about looking and acting normal on the way to this place. To that fact Katherine wore a long peasant skirt and a hooded sweatshirt to cover any signs that she wasn't human. Her hair was brushed to cover the damage to the right side of her face.

"I want you to sit tight while I go see if I can find a guy. Here's twenty to buy something to drink or eat just keep everything normal looking, OK?" George said as he sat her at the first table in the door.

"I don't drink, I'm underage! Remember?" whispered Katherine.

"If you can get through the Hechinger doors you're old enough to drink, but I was more thinking a soda and some fries. I don't want to come back and find you singing bad karaoke."

"Alright, how long are you going to be?"

"It shouldn't take more than half an hour to find out if he's here tonight, but take the car keys, if I'm not back by five go home and I'll find a ride."

"Five?!Why..."

"Do you have a hot date I don't know about? This is important Katherine, we need to get you looking better. I'm not totally convinced you aren't hurt either."

After George left, the saloon's bartender came up to Kat to find out what she wanted. The bartender was a busty Greek woman wearing a saloon girl outfit that would have made an 19th century cowboy blush with lust. Short, curvy, with long dark wavy hair Kat found herself staring for a moment at the tops of the girls breasts before she realized that the bartender was speaking to her.

"See something you like hon?"

"Oh uh sorry, I uh just wanted some coffee."

"Its alright, if I minded people looking I wouldn't wear it." she said patting Katherine's hand before she could more it away.

Even with her guard up Kat tasted cotton candy when the touch came, so sweet and delicious. It was a good thing that the bartender left then to get Kat's coffee. She got herself back to normal to find that the couple had stopped talking and were looking towards the door. She turned in time to see three hug men enter the bar. Each over six feet tall and built like professional boxers including broken noses. They ignored Kat to walk straight back to the couple, the guy pushed his date behind him as he stood to face them.

"I warned you Vlad, now how about we step outside." The leader said pushing the small table to the side.

Vlad, if that was the man's name, didn't bother to answer instead he dove into the speaker. The bartender dropped Katherine's coffee as she came out of the kitchen behind the bar and ran back through the door. Katherine figured her Uncle would forgive her later and let her true sight work again. Vlad looked the same physically even if he had a bright red aura barely above the his skin like a super thin neon membrane. The three attackers on the other hand were even taller, close to seven feet tall with the head and claws of rats. Most of their clothes were gone only their pants stayed the same. Vlad's date appeared to be a regular human in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Vlad and the head rat were rolling on the floor while the other two held chairs ready to hit the non-rat if the chance came. Not knowing who to call for help here, Kat decided that she couldn't just watch the outnumber man get beaten or killed. She quietly stood away from her table and launched a flying roundhouse kick at one of the chair holders. In the second before she hit, her target sensed the foot coming and managed to turn and catch it. Twisting in midair she used his hand as a fulcrum to bring her other foot around into his head. She rode the stunned rat to the floor, ending up sitting on his chest. Without thinking she pressed both palms into his hairy chest and drank deep. Coppery raw meat taste flooded into her along with the most energy she had ever felt. Still not consciously planning, she used her new strength to spring off the out-cold rodent.

Ten years of martial arts had never made Kat feel this graceful or in control. The world slowed for her as her mind raced. She was powerful, she was full of power, she was so strong now, kept circling her mind as she flipped to hit the last standing attacker. As fast as she was he still had the advantage of seeing her coming. Her path altered against her will as the bar stool he held crashed into Kat's already damaged side. Suddenly she wasn't going to him but flying to the far wall. Kat thought she should just twist land feet first on the wall and jump back off at him. On the other hand she could grab the bar as she passed by, using it to reverse her momentum right back at the enemy. Or she could ... crash back first into the wall, sliding to the floor in a heap.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.