Thibadeau the Pirate - Cover

Thibadeau the Pirate

Copyright© 2009 by happyhugo

Chapter 8

Mark Fisher came in to see Mom while I was talking to Sarah. It finally dawned on me that he was waiting to speak to me as well. I said I love you to Sarah and hung up. I turned to Mark. "What's up?"

"Something you ought to know, Jason. There is a private investigator in town checking up on you. Have you noticed an elderly gentleman watching you? He is tall and maybe sixty. He wears a suit and has a gray mustache. You remember Jack who helped me with the remains over on Canal Street? He noticed that this car was following you and yesterday while you were getting lunch, Jack got into a conversation with him and found out he is a private investigator. I just thought I would pass it along to you."

"Thanks, that would be John Bernhardt's doing. I don't mind and in fact it might even help me with Sarah. How are you and Mom doing?"

"We are fine. In fact we are doing great. I really like your mother a lot."

"That's just about the same words Mom said when I asked her about you. I'm glad you two found each other." Mark smiled all over when he heard this.

Work was beginning to trickle in from the contacts I had put out. I was spending daytimes inspecting property and working nights doing the paperwork. Tomorrow, I was going up to Chester to check on the progress of Sarah's cabin. I hoped to be back by noon, as I had a title search to perform at the town clerk's office. I watched my rearview mirror and sure enough a car followed me onto the thruway and got off at the same exit. It followed through Chester and onto Popple Dungeon Road. The driver hesitated when I turned onto the Old Stage Road. After I finished my business with the carpenter and turned back towards Chester, it was behind me again, but far back.

The car passed me on the thruway, but didn't get too far ahead. I was able to pass it before I got to the first Brattleboro exit, the driver made sure of that. I pulled into McDonalds and went inside. The place was packed and I had to wait for a table. When one freed up he was behind me waiting too. I turned to him and said I'd share my table if he didn't mind eating with a stranger. He grabbed at the invite.

General conversation brought out that he was in town for a few days. I learned that his name was Peter Smith and that was about all. I talked about myself, telling him about setting up my business and how I had a girl I thought the world of. I said she was out of town for a little bit, but I hoped we would get together soon.

He made the comment that the town didn't have too many things to do. "Oh, I wouldn't say that. I always go to a dance Friday night. In fact I'm going tonight. I have a bunch of girls that treat me real nice. They are always disappointed if I don't go. Say, you wouldn't like to go with me, would you? I can get you someone to dance with after we get there."

Peter fell all over himself in taking me up on my offer. I let slip where I was going to be this afternoon and tomorrow as well. I think he thought his job was immeasurably easier. I gave him directions to the Country Club and went down to the town offices to work.

When I got home, Mom said Sarah had called and left a message for me to meet her early tomorrow in Northampton. I called her at her friend's to confirm and she said no matter what time I got there to knock and she would let me in. I sat and thought how I was going to work this to get away from Peter. I made a call to Sheila to set my plan in motion.

I rode with Mom and Mark and Peter was waiting near the entrance when we arrived. I introduced him to my mother and asked her to introduce him to her friends. Sheila was waiting when we walked in and Mom put the two of them together. By the time happy hour was over, Peter was real happy. Dinner was excellent as always and Peter couldn't believe his luck. He was on the job tracking me and he was having a good time as well. He thought he knew where I was going to be tomorrow and he might even get lucky tonight.

Everyone was friendly to Peter and our whole crowd was aware of what he was doing in town. Sheila was having trouble keeping Peter to herself, for seventy-five-year-old Amy was giving her a lot of competition. Mark, Mom and I left early, about ten. No way was Peter going to get away to follow me. I took Mom's vehicle and headed south reaching the place where Sarah was staying shortly after midnight. She met me at the door.

Just seeing her was enough. We didn't tempt each other when we lay on the bed. We both kept our clothes on, but we did do a lot of kissing. Well maybe our hands wandered a little, but mostly we just feasted our eyes on each other. Finally, both of us tired, we spooned together and fell asleep. Sarah was my treasure and I was holding her in my arms. I awoke to little kisses all over my face, which I soon returned.

The phone rang at eight and it was John checking on Sarah. She didn't have to tell any lies for he didn't ask the right questions. I explained about her father hiring an investigator to watch me which made Sarah angry at her father. "What I should do is get knocked up and not tell him. I would get bigger and bigger right in front of him and when it was confirmed, I wouldn't tell him who the father is."

I laughed at her angry countenance. "He just loves you, that's all. He'll come around. By the time he gets the report from Peter, he'll think I'm just the person you ought to marry. Honest, my business is taking off. I'm thinking of hiring a secretary to do some of the paperwork." I was smirking.

"Anyone in mind for the job?" Sarah was thinking I was referring to her.

"Umm, yes actually. I think Sheila would fit the bill. She is the typical grandmother type and she has so much to offer. What do you think?"

"No way! It is me or nobody."

After breakfast we had a serious talk about the property on Canal Street. Should I keep it and return it to its previous splendor? We didn't have to decide today, but we both were leaning toward it. I questioned whether the grisly history of the place would bother Sarah. "No, not at all. In fact that just adds to the charm. Something to tell our six kids, you know."

"Six? Where did you get that idea?"

"That's what Ruth had and I am a Baker from way back."

"True. Those journals come alive for you just as they do for me, don't they?"

"Yes, and I think my father is getting interested too. I leave my notes lying around. That reminds me, did you bring those family trees with you?"

"Yes, how are you going to explain it if he sees you with them? He will know you and I have been in contact."

"He may know but he won't be able to say anything, because then I will know he has been prying in my papers."

"God I hate to leave you, you seem so far away."

"I know, but it will be worth it as soon as Daddy comes around."

"That reminds me, Peter is going to be checking up on me by this afternoon. I will have to get back." It took several kisses before I was able to break free and head north. I hummed a love song all the way home.


I had a short message from Sheila when I got home. "Jase, just to let you know, I let a room out to your Peter Smith. He took it for a week. He really is a pretty nice person. If he wasn't investigating you, I might make a play for him. He is almost as lonely as I am."

"God Sheila, go for it. I liked him too. The only time I will want him distracted is when I want to see Sarah. I saw her last night and we are keeping it quiet so Peter can turn in his report and Papa won't be the wiser. You make sure Peter treats you right and if he doesn't you let me know. I owe you one already."

"One what?"

"Favor."

"Okay, just checking." Sheila would never pass up a chance to flirt.

I went to sleep early tonight. I had danced last evening and then driven more than an hour to meet Sarah. Didn't get much sleep after I reached her, either. Morning found a job posted on my answering service. The details were given, so I went right from home to the site. Peter was behind me although I wouldn't have seen him if I wasn't looking.

McDonalds for lunch and there was Peter. I invited him to sit with me. He had news--or so he thought. "Guess what Jason. I've taken a room with your friend Sheila. She is the nicest person I've met in a long while. Tell me about her."

"Well, she was a librarian, retired now of course. You probably noticed she is fairly well endowed. Also how she flirts with everyone. She has been like that for three generations of young men, me included. I don't know who coined the phrase 'horny Sheila with the big tits, ' but it has stuck to her. She knows people call her that and it is a term of affection for the whole town. If anyone took her seriously and harmed her in any way, someone would take that person to task. Actually it was a sad day for the young people when she retired. The library has stopped being a hangout for the youth now that she isn't there. She was a confidant to the girls and she explained things they needed to know about sex as they reached puberty. She kept the library stocked with a whole section for the young people growing up with need-to-know stuff.

"I know when my first girlfriend dumped me, I was crushed. Sheila asked me what was the matter when I came in so dejected. She listened, and just said, 'Well that happens all the time. Look at Carol, the same thing has happened to her. Why don't you go sympathize with her?' I did and Carol and I were a couple for the next two school years."

"Kind of a mentor for the young people, you mean."

"I guess you could call it that. Say, what are you doing this afternoon? I've got a house inspection. You can tag along if you want. I usually only do one a day, but if I can get another one done today, I can work up the paperwork on both when I get home tonight."

"How come you are working so hard?"

"I'll tell you a secret. I'm interested in a woman I met a few weeks ago. She is interested in me too. The problem lies with her rich old man. He thinks I'm after his daughter's money and I want to be able to go to him as owner of a good strong business when I ask him for her hand. I want to be able to give her a good life on my own and I know I can. I've met both him and her mother and I could get to like them both. It is taking him a little longer to get comfortable with me."

"Why don't you just go off and get married? She must be of age."

"She is, but if I live with her for the rest of my life, I want to be friends with her father and mother. When I get married I want happiness to stretch out into the future as far as I can see. It wouldn't happen if he and I were at cross purposes."

"That's pretty sensible."

"He loves his daughter and is just protecting her, so I don't fault him for that. Most people would be glad their girlfriend has money, but in this case it is keeping us apart, so I'm having to work a little harder to win him over. She is worth it, so I don't mind. I'm confident it will turn out right. We aren't even looking at what will happen if it doesn't."

"Well if he isn't blind, it sounds like a good plan that will work for you."

Peter Smith rode with me, watched me work, ate when I ate and listened to me talk about my ancestors. Talking about family came about when he overheard me talking with my lawyer about the deeds to the property I inherited. I had to explain how this complicated matters with my girl. How I felt the land she bought was mine, and it had been sold by someone who probably thought it was his to sell, but wasn't.

"My girl isn't bothered about not having clear title and we know if we marry it won't matter that much. I have a wish that her father will do an in-depth title search--one that I have refused to do. This is another thing that I want clear in his mind before I ask for Sarah's hand."

Peter hung out with me all week. As time went by, he pried the story of my life out of me. He was much interested in Priscilla Adams when I mentioned her. I'm sure everything I said would get back to John in Peter's report. He spent evenings with Sheila, feeling sure I was tied up making out my inspection reports. Sarah called me every evening as we thought it best for her to do the contacting. I wouldn't call, for with my luck, I would reach John and not Sarah.

Thursday, Sarah stated that she was coming up to go to the dance with me. Her father wouldn't like it, but she just had to see me. Besides she wanted to see the progress on the cabin, see Etta and visit with my mother. I suggested she bring her mother. "You and I aren't going to be doing anything that will bother her."

"Aw shucks!"

Sarah arrived in the middle of the afternoon on Friday, she had her mother with her. Not bashful around her mother, she clung to me for a very passionate kiss. Ruby just smiled and smiled even more when I kissed her on the cheek.

Mom invited the two to change clothes at our house for the dinner and dance. Sarah changed in my room. She had on a more conservative gown this time, but she still was a vision. She was in gold and off-white tonight. I didn't recognize the material, but it was shimmery and felt like liquid mercury. Ruby was beautiful in the same style dress, but hers was blue with gold accents.

I watched Ruby closely as Peter and Sheila entered. Ruby definitely knew Peter although they took great pains to not let on. Most telling was when Peter asked Ruby to dance, he talked to her non-stop for the whole set. When I danced with Ruby later I asked, "So did I pass?"

Ruby looked at me. "What do you mean?"

"The investigation that Peter has been doing--with me as the subject."

Ruby studied me intently, then confessed. "I told John you would find out and it would backfire. How long did it take for you to get on to him?"

"Just a couple of days after he reached town. One of the policemen gave me a heads-up. I figured your husband would do something like this so I wasn't surprised."

"I suppose this will turn you against John, won't it?"

"No. Look, I know John is just trying to protect Sarah. I could wish that he had someone watching her when she first came to Vermont. That was the time she needed protecting. I've made it as easy for Peter as I could. I think I've made a friend of him. There was only one time when there was any duplicity. The rest of the time what he writes in his report is just the way it was."

"What was the duplicity?"

"Sarah and I spent one night together and before you ask, no we weren't intimate. We will be sometime, but we aren't ready yet. I want John to look on me as a good prospect for a son-in-law. Having sex with Sarah at this point would only complicate matters."

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.