Thibadeau the Pirate
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2009 by happyhugo

Tuesday and Wednesday I made dozens of contacts to get the word out about the business I was starting. Wednesday Sarah called. "I think I have found the carpenter I want. This afternoon I went to look at two jobs he has completed and interviewed the homeowner he is working for now. He has a crew of three men and he covers all phases. The only subcontractors are for the roof and the plumbing. One of his men is a licensed electrician. The only problem is he can't start for three weeks. Should I wait on him or find someone to start sooner?"

"The time frame sounds very good. Better than I expected, almost. If you like what you've seen, sign him on. So what are you going to be doing for the next three weeks?"

"I'm not sure yet. I'm undecided. I mean I could go see my folks or just hang around and make some more friends here in town. The whole world has changed for me. More people speak to me. Some just say hi, but others stop and introduce themselves. This is beginning to feel like my town. How is your work going?"

"I haven't had any work yet, but that isn't surprising. I'm out everyday, getting my name placed. That is the important thing at this point. Say, I have a bunch of old journals that came from a great-aunt of mine. Lots of history in them, I imagine. They are said to go back two hundred or more years. Would you want to thumb through them?"

"Oh God, could I?"

"Sure, I'll have them out and you can look at them Saturday before I take you home."

"You want me to stay at your house Friday after the dance?"

"That's the plan. Actually it is my Mom's house, but she knows you are coming and we have room."

"You have room for Etta too, you said. You shouldn't have to drive all the way up here to get us. I will drive down."

"No, you are my date and I'll come get you and take you home. That is if I don't decide to keep you."

"Jase don't say something like that. It's too soon and after all I haven't met your mother yet." Sarah went into gales of laughter and got out a giggly good-bye.

I called Etta Friday morning to confirm, which she did. I then asked Mom to hold three seats for dinner and I wanted Sarah and her friend to stay the night with us. Could we put them both up? It was all set by the time I left to pick up my dates. I got small corsages, just alike for Etta and Sarah and received a kiss on the cheek when I pinned them on.

Traveling south, Etta sat in front next to me with Sarah in the back. I wanted so to turn around and look at her. She had on an expensive gown, just a little more than was usual for country club attire. But then I smiled for I had gone out and bought a new blazer.

We entered the club just as the first food was being served. Talk about an entrance. The guests hadn't settled down from happy hour yet or started eating. The wave of silence started at the front door as we came in and rushed toward where my mother and her friends were seated. Talk about a proud puppy. Etta clung to my left arm. I hadn't realized how truly attractive she was until I pinned her corsage on. She was dressed in a peach colored suit. Or maybe they were looking at the woman on my right arm?

Sarah with her dark red hair that she had treated with gold highlights at the salon sometime today. The brocaded piece of forest green that would have been a jacket if it wasn't just big enough to slip her arms through. It came to the top swell of her breasts and bottomed just under them. There were no straps holding her dress up and it was easily determined none were needed. The dress itself was a pale lime and clung all the way down to just above the knee and then it swelled so it could be danced in without restriction.

Mom and Etta ignored both Sarah and me after the introduction, for they were tied up in renewing their friendship of long ago. Not so my date. I made introductions and Sarah was on display. Sheila made the comment that there was no hope for her now and she had so much to offer, too. This made everyone laugh for Sheila did have an impressive set of breasts. That is the way the evening went. This was the first time I had missed the first dance with my mother in all the years we had been coming here. Tonight she pushed me into Sarah's arms. "Go dance with your date. I can get acquainted tomorrow. I want to talk to Etta, anyway."

The difference tonight from other Fridays was that I had every other dance with Sarah and still had my turn with my mother, Etta and all of Mom's friends. There wasn't the blatant flirting either, between me and the women. Maybe it would return if Sarah became a regular fixture. I always felt comfortable flirting with the older women, but with Sarah if I said something, I wanted her to know I meant it. I could talk business, as about her cabin, but otherwise I couldn't think of much to say to her when we were alone. Tonight, holding her while dancing, I let my arms and my smile speak for me. Would she get the message?

After the dance Mom and Etta went into the house together, while Sarah and I lingered. She thanked me for the date and leaned forward for me to kiss her. It was awkward, twisted like we were in the front seat, but it was nice. When we reached the hall Sarah turned off the outside lights, as she was closest to the switch. She flicked off the hall lights at the same time. I expected she would turn them back on, but instead she whispered, "Now, I can show you how wonderful a time I really had." She came into my arms and I gathered her to me. This was a kiss that would be remembered. I'm sure we both wanted it to continue. Instead, when we pulled apart, she flicked the lights back on. It was enough for now. What a sample, though.

I expected to sleep on the couch, but Mom and Etta wanted to continue their life update, so they slept together in Mom's bed. I had my own room while Sarah had the room intended for Etta. Again I went to sleep thinking of Sarah.


We all had breakfast together. Mom now turned her attention to Sarah. I'm sure she knew more about her than I did, as Etta would have been questioned closely during the night about my date. "So what is on the agenda for today?"

"I'm going down to the house on Canal Street and get those chests of journals that Aunt Nellie left me. Sarah has done some work in this area and I'm going to let her look at them. If it is something that can be put into a story of the Thibadeau family, she can tell me. Eventually it would be nice to have a family tree with the first Jason Thibadeau at the root and me as the present one up in the tree on a branch somewhere. She has some time for the next few weeks. Do you or Etta want to go with us?"

Mom shook her head no, so Sarah and I headed out. When I reached the car I thought of something and went back to get my CD player and a CD. "The electricity was supposed to be connected yesterday. If it was, I want to show you something."

Sarah looked around as we walked up the walk. "This must have been a beautiful house in its day. Who owns it now?"

"I will when the estate is settled. Aunt Nellie was my father's aunt. I'm sure she will have recorded the relationships in one of the journals that you will be looking at. The journals are supposed to be under my aunt's bed. We will get them and set them by the door. Then I want to take you upstairs and show you something."

I went into the bedroom that was beyond the living room. "Did she die in that bed?"

"I think so. Mom was coming every day for she knew how frail the lady was. The day before she died, Mom said she was up sitting in the living room. Mom found her dead the next day when she came down. I'll have to ask where she was when Mom discovered her." I got down on my knees and lifted the skirt around the bed.

Three chests were lined up in a row and all were about the same size. One had the dull glow of brass, one had the patina of old copper and the third looked to be of cedar with brass affixed where the box would wear when moved around. I pulled two out with the metal handles that were attached to the ends. The third, the wooden one, had a leather handle and looked to be much like the old-time trunks that travelers used.

None were locked, but had hasps where a padlock could be used. All the tops were slightly domed. The brass and copper chests were soldered together at the joints and the wooden one appeared to be glued except where the brass fittings were used on the corners. They were all 18x36 inches and 12 inches high at the top of the dome. I was surprised at how heavy they were. I opened the brass chest assuming it would be the oldest. I guessed wrong, the copper one was. A paper had been glued inside the lid and had 1795 to 1880 marked clearly on it. The brass lid had 1881 to 1927 and the cedar chest had 1928 to--.

Sarah was jumping up and down with excitement. The chests were full of an assortment of books and papers. Each book or diary had a "from--to" date on them in various different penmanships, indicating different authors. She chose the journal with a "from" date, but no ending date and cautiously opened it as if the words would escape off the page and be lost forever. The first entry was of a year twenty-five years previous. I recognized the writing as that of my great-aunt.

Sarah turned to the last entry.

I'm getting so frail, I may not write more. Jane has been like a daughter to me, but she doesn't have the interest in the family of Jason Thibadeau that began in 1795. I will ask Jane today to ask this Jason Thibadeau to continue the never-ending saga of the original or the one he is about to embark on. No I will ask him myself. Jason please continue these journals for they are important. So important that I had to kill to keep them safe. I know you will say yes. If you find it an impossible task, I feel you should ask one who has red hair and freckles. Thank you in advance for your acquiescence. Nellie.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.