Aggy-book 2 - Cover

Aggy-book 2

Copyright© 2009 by Green Dragon

Chapter 65

"Information alpha for Runnymede control.

Temperature is sixteen degrees Celsius and pressure is one zero one ninah.

Wind is from the planetary south west at twelve knots gusting to eighteen.

Shuttles for full stop are to use the western pad to a hover and then follow the marshal to the parking area. Call control on 5675 at fifty klicks...

Information alpha..."

Alan Avers switched to guard and continued the descent through the atmosphere.

Colin Avers remarked

"Approaching fifty, Alan. Buckle up, Commodore."

McCock, on the third seat in the cockpit, turned his attention back from the black scar just discernable with its smoke smudge on the northeastern horizon, tightened his harness,

"Tight."

Alan selected com 1, which was set on 5675, and spoke into his mic

"Runnymede control, "Vector" Barge with Montrose, at eighteen thousand at the fifty with alpha."

"Barge, identified, continue approach, call tower on 4564 at twelve thousand."

"Tower, 4564, at twelve thousand, Barge."

Alan observed to the others,

"Not much traffic about; so far I've only seen the Riders' shuttles."

"Yeh, but look at that parking area, everything from a Model "A" yacht to a cattle carrier" replied Colin "looks like they are using whatever they ended up with."

"Or perhaps combining farm work with the summons" suggested McCock.

Both pilots acknowledged the idea. Colin retuned com1 to 4564,

"On tower, Alan."

"Thanks Colin." And pressed the PTT (Press-to-talk),

"Tower, Barge at twelve thousand."

"Barge, you are number one, straight in approach to the western pad to hover; vacate pad to your right and follow the Marshall."

"Western pad and right to the Marshall."

Alan descended to the mountain pad catching the Barge in the ground effect and then followed the Marshall on his single seat runabout to the park; with Colin watching the starboard side, Alan put the Barge down and shut down the power plant.

"Cheated death, yet again Aggy. You'd better join the throng; don't worry, we'll look after the victuals" said Colin.

McCock just fixed him with a look to which Colin Avers just grinned.

McCock and his party moved along the well trodden grass towards the large marquee. As the group moved out of the parking area, the six Harbourian shuttles landed and parked beside their pad discharging their passengers and shutting down.

"We look as if we are the last to arrive. Good." said Trudie. McCock looked at her and she continued cryptically, "appearances and timing, Aggy. You men, relieve the Ghorkhali on the trolley." And answering McCock's questioning look, she explained

"The Ghorkhali are bodyguards so let them guard — a matter of priorities, any one can push a trolley."

McCock did not let his confusion show. The Ghorkhali moved about the party with Major Peebles at point. Two men in RMN black waited for them and Major Peebles, after a hard look at them, passed them in. McCock greeted them

"Gold Roper, Sir Crypian?" shaking their proffered hands.

"Baronet" explained Sir Crypian " Me ancestors had the title before first fleet."

"We wish to sit with your party, Aggy."

"Pleased to have you."

The group entered the marquee to find Trudie directing the men in tipping the trolley upside down after removing the folding desks and erecting them as parliamentary cross benches. The trolley became a dais behind the front seats and seats were placed upon it. The end result was a tight presentation of a power block with McCock as the centre piece with his wives and heirs behind him supported by his vassals and protected by his men-at-arms. Trudie got the extra seats for Gold Roper and McDermid and then studied her handiwork, nodded in satisfaction and then sat at the left side of the group with Polack on her right - very evidently a Montrose vassal.

There was an increased volume of muttering from the assembled lords on either side of the marquee at this blatant demonstration of independence. Trudie's face remained emotionless.

After several minutes, there was a stirring at the southern end and Sir Austen Neville, in full regalia and accoutrements of the Winsor Herald King-at-arms, entered to stand before the raised solid 'throne' facing the Lords,

"His Majesty King Harold the first."

And then turned to face the throne upon which Harold seated himself. The Peerage had risen in homage and took their seats on the royal command. The Herald bowed. Harold addressed His Lords;

"Welcome, my lords to this extraordinary session of the House and our thanks for your attendance. We make the great presumption of your allegiance. We need that allegiance for the task ahead.

First; Herald, there is a stranger in our midst. Introduce her."

Sir Austen marched down the centre of the seated lords and approached Trudie, who rose. Sir Austen offered his left arm and escorted her to stand before Harold,

"Gertrude, Princess of Amaranti."

The grin which spread across Polack's face nearly met around the back of his head; he knew how much she hated her forename. Her son exchanged looks with his father.

"Your Majesty, my Emperor Augustus of Amaranti presents his compliments and commands me to act as his plenipotentiary to your Kingdom. My credentials."

And passed the scroll to Sir Austen who tendered it to Harold.

McCock looked at Gus-gus,

:Your mother has been a busy little bee."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.