Aggy-book 2 - Cover

Aggy-book 2

Copyright© 2009 by Green Dragon

Chapter 41

Sally presented at the Captain's Cabin followed by Evan who began shutting down the equipment and filing the few documents on McCock's desk. Trojan entered carrying a small portmanteau containing McCock's toiletries. Sally handed McCock his tunic and forage cap signaling that he put them on. Rather bemusedly McCock did as he was told and as he was doing so heard a vessel join and cycle hatches. Evan took a last look around and nodded to Sally who then took McCock by the arm and led him to the waiting Barge. Enroute to the Manor House, McCock was informed that he was to be like all other executives; leave home in the morning, do his day's work and return to the bosom of his family in the evening. All his senior subordinates had his PDA number.

Polack and Denny, also present in the Barge, just smirked at him.

The Barge came down in grounds adjacent to the MUG Campus on the drive way to a modest discretely grand mansion. It landed in a hover taxi and then settled to the ground to taxi clear of its dust storm. The Havildar came down the steps as the Barge came to a stop, saluted as the hatch cycled, and as McCock returned the salute murmured,

"Thank you for Sajani, Sahib" and then in normal voice as Sally joined McCock, "the familyis gathered in the Waiting Room."

Trudie appeared at the entranceway to welcome Polack and 'Mina welcomed Denny. Sally guided McCock to the opened doorway and led him in. They walked over to stand in front of the well dressed slender man standing beside a portrait of an apparent ancestor.

"Good evening, father" smiled McCock, "I never knew of this place."

"'evening, Samuel," returned his father, "we didn't have need for it while you were boarding at A & M and it slipped our memories as we got more deeply involved in things at Settlement"

McCock felt a gentle tug on his sleeve and looked down to see Matthew offering him a small glass of golden liquid.

"Granda says you are old enough to..." Matthew turned to James standing at his shoulder for assistance.

"To try an adult's tipple" prompted James.

"To try and dult's tipple" rushed Matthew triumphantly.

McCock took the glass and sampled the brew appreciatively,

"Nice" smiled McCock to Matthew who returned a grin and dashed off to join his siblings and friends. "What is it?" of his father.

"Madeira. Your mother was given the cask on graduation from Grenoble Military Academy by her grandparents and she carried the thing about the galaxy with her until she deposited it here in the cellar awaiting an occasion. It has kept remarkably well. Your mother dispatched the boys and me to find it even before we settled in. Must say I spent an enjoyable time messing about down there with the boys."

Sally wandered off with James to greet the ladies who were standing in a huddle(?) talking about something or other; McCock noticed that from time to time one of the ladies would cast a supervisory eye over the boys' huddle.

His father caught his glance at the ladies and asked,

"How do you manage four of them, Samuel, I cannot control one?"

McCock looked incredulously at his father,

"Manage? Control? Father, I just get told how I am going to do what it was the ladies decided I needed to do and I do it. Unfortunately for my independence, they are invariably correct. I am still too dazed by the advent of a fully developed family at present to even dream of standing on my fatherhood."

"Perhaps you are not stupid after all, Samuel" said his mother, offering her cheek for the ritual buss, "important things as raising a family and running the home leave to the women of the family, we leave stupid things like politics and war to the menfolk."

Mr McCock strangled on his drink, protesting

"That's a bit strong coming from you, Maddie, I seem to recollect first meeting you on a rescue mission off the old "Valiant"."

The potential for discussion was headed off by the Havildar's announcement that

"Dinner is served."

Followed immediately by Mrs McCock marshalling the troops,

"Matthius, escort Cerise, boys attend your parents, Subajhi attend Samuel and I" and led them off to the Dining Room where Walter, Matthew, GusGus and Subajhi were settled in the alcove whilst the others were seated at the main table.

During the course of the conversation, McCock learnt that:

Mina and Denny were to reside in her unit in Gorgipest;

Trudie and Polack were living in the attached mews here;

The attic here was to house the listening watch;

The 'listening' Ghorkhali were quartered in the Servants Quarters;

The house servants / bodyguards were spread about the Manor House;

External servants / bodyguards were housed above the old stables;

McCock was to make a decision regarding the boys' khukris;

Western Hove and Claigh Valley assets in Settlement were being liquidated,

All families' surplus funds were being transferred to Old Earth;

The boys were enrolled at the University School;

Dorian and Walter were interested in agronomy;

The Barge was now McCock's personal flivver and the crew room was above the garage;

Sam Costello was balking at being part of the family, McCock to sort him out;

Sir Henry Bollinger and Rosemary Peebles were such a wonderful couple;

Evan had a small suite near the Master Suite; and

His parents were using the Butler's Suite.

The younger boys bade the olders a good night and the older boys excused themselves to study.

The Denholts and Kowalskis took their leave and the older McCocks retired.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.