Aggy-book 2 - Cover

Aggy-book 2

Copyright© 2009 by Green Dragon

Chapter 16

Captain Carlton was demonstrating the antics of a decapitated fowl. The news from the Academy was excellent; a full course of fifty candidates had passed selection and were ready for training. They would begin at beginning of next week. Initial kit issues were to be Navy. Initial training was to use atmospheric aerofoil fitted vehicles. More advanced training required introduction to the vessel type to be ultimately used and simulators were somewhat limited for pilot training as opposed to the use of the type in its role. Where were the Gnats? Where were the pilot's hardsuits?

Carlton did what others before him had done; he sought higher direction.

"See Rowan" advised Milligan.

"I was waiting for someone's call" said Rowan. "Diana is making grabbing noises and it is difficult to fob her off."

"Tell her, ever so politely, to keep her grubby paws to herself. This is HM's personal baby and she had given it to me to change the nappies. Personally I'm not too thrilled that she is personally involved, it should be in Navy. But having said that, this is a test squadron and this way will get it established faster than in the service. Where are the Gnats?"

"In Buships orbital warehouse. The flight suits have not yet been fabricated, they are individual fit to a degree. Aggy was in touch with both GmBH and WepDev with his upgrades. Hugh Avers has an EVA suit manufacturer lined up — still not enough work down there — but he wants to talk to someone about the pilots. Here's Hugh's personal contact com and don't overdo it please; he is covering so many things for us, GmBH is near enough to Wepdev while we concentrate on Buships side of things."

"Mr Avers, Captain Carlton, assistant fifth Lord. HM has taken this idea over from Aggy and she dropped me in the bucket. I'm chasing up the flight suits."

"My commiserations" Hugh laughed "Alan said she could be a handful when she got going. My man's firm down here went insolvent when the yards were destroyed as there was no call for hard suits; Navy had a surplus of the things. He grabbed at the opportunity and almost joyfully started on the HUD face plate when he heard. Of course his Uncle's sister's cousin, any way you get the idea, was making these. The firm is already a supplier to the Navy with a very good reputation. I knew of the brand, but didn't realise it was made in Gorgipest, nearly the smallest factory on the industrial estate dirtside.

We need only height and weight. We designed the ODs of the capsules to the same size. The design of the ID is for three sizes of hardsuits, with the pilot height restriction of one seventy five centimetres and weights between fifty and one hundred kilo.

Get that information and you will have the suits in a week, but our techs will have to finally pack the skinsuited pilot into the shell with special foam but that can be done up there. The HUDs will be standard and might not be up to the Gnat's role but that can be tested. It's a nuisance to replace the plate but is a wing level repair."

Hugh was positively loquacious these days.

"I'll get that information to you and thank you, Sir. Carlton, clear."

"No, Captain Carlton, you can't have my women and I don't care how well they performed. I have discussed this matter with my superior who has instructed me to retain their services which are more important than buzzing around in a flea sized flying weapon pod."

Hearing echos of his own description, Carlton took it no further and told Academy to go with what they had. Academy was to obtain the measurements for him; he made the decision, in view of Rowan's comments to protect GmBH not to have them sent direct but through him. A bit complicated but 'need to know'.

Captain Wallace had been 'read in' and was busy filling his ward room on the recommendations of the Second Space Lord.

Captain jg Yoncey had joined, was recruiting the staff and had lent his services to the Flag Captain to act as traffic policeman of the drafts to the smaller vessels and to receive the replacements from them

Lt Evans, who was almost literally a shadow of his former self, had taken over the organising of the Commodore's life, much to Horace Trojan's joy.

The Bosun and the Coxswain were being run ragged as they familiarised the new senior NCOs with 'Sniffy' and supervised TQO's senior NCO's in handling the drafts initial introduction to TQO.

McCock had decided that the two squadrons of TQO should exercise as a unit and had delegated the task to the senior captain, Captain Gort. Slow had drawn up the exercise and it was planned for four days after the return of "Gorgon" as she was expected to be the later of the two ship presently absent. Warning orders had been sent and preparations were in hand. Meantime the elements of the unit continued with the assigned outer patrol duties of Home Fleet.

McCock now had some time to sit back and think of the big picture. He had attended the Home Fleet gatherings for staff and command discussions as was required of a subordinate commander. He had had discussions with 81 BC Squadron and participated in simulations of scenarios. All this had been in addition to the unique duties of "The Queens Own" and the explorations of cosmic space.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.