The Destroyers, Book 3:  Civil War - Cover

The Destroyers, Book 3: Civil War

Copyright© 2009 by Monbade

Chapter 6; Battle for Mars

Battle for Mars

Mars Base: Federation Side

Thirteen-year-old Mitchell Young sat back from his computer screen, looked at the final design of the APES, and watched the simulation run. Within seconds, they had devastated a unit of T'Lari warriors. Reaching over to the keypad, he typed in a few commands and watched the T'Lari change to battle Mechs and it took a little bit longer but they were able to wipe out the twenty Mechs for the loss of only five of the APES.

With a grin, he said, "It's going to work."

"Of course it is, Mitch. I helped design them."

"I know Suzy, but at first I didn't think it would. I wonder why we never designed anything like this in the future. It could have saved my family."

"I think it's because the people of this time think differently than yours do. Look at the battle Mechs. We would never have thought of using them. I believe that was due to the law that affected all computer games and how they couldn't produce anything violent. But without the UN law being effective at this time, these games are readily available."

"Yep, that's true, now how many do you think you can control?" Mitchell asked as he saved the schematics to the replicator pads scattered around the dome and they started replicating the APES.

"About one hundred units, we would need more AIs to have a good strike force."

"Okay, see if you can get Jenny and Lori's AI's to help you. I need to go see General Polk. I think I know how I can stop the American forces and save our people's lives."


Mars: Federation Navy

Captain Laura Billings looked at the CIC image of her ship and watched her shields on the Gettysburg image glow from the railgun fire.

She shouted, "Roll the ship to port, all weapons return fire."

The three million ton ship rolled, and ninety heavy laser cannons belched death as her railguns burst into life. While behind her, the rest of the fleet followed her example.


Mars: American Expedition Navy

Captain Jason Hernandez staggered as his ship started taking fire from the cruiser that was passing above. The antimatter rounds slammed into the strengthened shields of the USS Tarawa. What missed her, made huge craters in the Mars surface, as his ship returned fire. Then the stern shields flared for a second, and thirty antimatter warheads slammed into his engines, and they exploded into ruin. The ships weapons stopped firing and he went flying as the ten million ton ship lurched.

"Damage control to the stern, all medical teams we are on SAR here people. Get in ... get out," Jason said as he got to his feet.

"Sir, the engines are gone. We have damage all the way to landing bay three and to the barracks. Estimated casualty count is around five hundred," shouted Ensign Jeremiah Hall.

"Shit. Okay, send in the spiders and see if we can get them repaired."

"Sir you don't understand. The engines are gone. The whole stern is gone. We're going to need a repair dock or about a week of repairs with every spider we have."

"Shit, contact the Okinawa and tell them we are abandoning ship. I am sending my crew over to them." Reaching down he pressed the ship wide com, and started addressing the crew, "All hands abandon ship. I repeat all hands abandon ship and head for the Okinawa. Good luck and God Bless America." Turning he looked over at the ensign at the communications station, and continued, "Raise the Federation fleet for me Ensign Brown."

"Yes, Sir," activating her communications board, she said, "This is the USS Tarawa to the Federation fleet please answer."


Federation Navy

Laura watched as her small fleet pounded the area of Mars where she had come under fire. Turning to her helmsman, she said, "Turn us in a ninety-degree turn and keep us in that turn until I say stop. I want the ship constantly in the turn. All weapons batteries are to continue to fire."

The ship started turning, her bow thrusters keeping her turning as every weapon plastered an area of Mars the size of Rhode Island.

"Ma'am I have a communications from the USS Tarawa."

"The Tarawa? Must be an American ship, put it on speaker."

"Aye, Ma'am, speakers on."

"This is the USS Tarawa to the Federation fleet please answer."

"Open the channel, Lieutenant Gates."

"Yes Ma'am, opening now," replied Suzanna as she opened the com.

"This is Captain Laura Billings of the USS Gettysburg, go ahead."

"This is Captain Jason Hernandez of the Tarawa, please stop firing we are abandoning ship. You have blown our engine room to oblivion. The Okinawa is gone. You took her out in the first pass. Please stop firing we are out of it."

"We will cease fire, hunker down for now. When the battle is over, we will rescue you. Until then hang tight."

"Thank you Captain, this is the Tarawa out."

"Send a message to General Polk, advise him about the destroyed ship and the crippled one. We are heading back to the Mech battle site."

"Sending now, Sir."

The small fleet of ships climbed back up into space and started circling the planet. When they arrived at the Mech battle site, they saw that the American air assets had been neutralized but their own had been crippled as well. Of the one hundred fighters and bombers that were launched, only thirty had returned to the ship. However, on the planet, beacons for sixty-five pilots were flashing. Unfortunately, for them, there were still over seven hundred enemy Mechs heading for the Mars base.

"Can we open fire on them?"

"Sir, we would kill our pilots. Their escape capsules are being carried by the enemy Mechs."

"Shit! Get me General Polk."

"Yes, Sir. Contacting him now," turning to the com system Suzanna contacted Mars base, and said, "Sir, I have General Polk online now."

"Put him on screen," Laura said as she came to attention.

On the main screen, the image of Mars changed to show the Federation starburst and then General Polk was there.

"What's wrong Laura?" he asked.

"Sir, estimate seven hundred Mechs heading for Mars base. I could open fire on them but it would endanger sixty-five of my pilots that have been captured. What are your orders?"


Mars Base: Federation Side

General Polk looked at the young woman on the screen and was about to issue his orders when a disturbance at the door interrupted him, "Just a second Laura." Turning he saw a young teenager standing between two marines.

"What is the meaning of this?" he asked.

"General this kid got in somehow. We will remove him..."

Mitchell twisted in the marines grasp, as he blurted out, "No I can help. My name is Mitchell Young. I am a survivor from the Vaskat. I was studying cybernetics when my world was attacked and my family captured."

"Let him approach," Richard said.

Walking over Mitch looked at the tall man and then said, "Sir, during our time we didn't have your types of games. I have been looking at your battle Mechs and I came up with a new defense system. I think it could help in this situation."

"What do you mean?"

"Let me show you," Mitch said as he opened up his laptop and started the simulation.

Richard watched the animation come on and his frown slowly changed to a smile and then to laughter, as he said, "Young man. You are hired. I want a thousand of them. How fast can you replicate them?"

"Sir, I can replicate hundreds of the APES but the problem is that an AI can only handle about a hundred units at one time."

"Hmm, okay then we will need some AI, units..."

"I know, Sir. I have three online and ready to go as well as three hundred..."

"Sir!" shouted a voice from across the room


Mars: American Expedition Force

Brigadier General Mark Anthon brought his Mech still and looked at the schematic of the surrounding area of Mars base. 'Now if I was Richard. Where would I hide my Mechs, ' he thought as he looked at the holographic map and his eyes settled onto the canyons to the north of the base. Activating his com unit he said, "All Mechs target and launch your long-range missiles at the canyons."

Eight hundred Mechs came to a stop and cover plates slid of the duel missile packs on all the Mechs. Thirteen thousand missiles burst forth from their pods, flew across the twenty miles of open terrain, and slammed into the canyons to the north of the base. A second and third barrage quickly followed the first.


Mars Base: Federation Side

"Incoming missiles ... they are going for the canyons."

Richard turned and shouted, "Get the Mechs moving." He then looked up at the repeater plot and watched the waves of incoming missiles as they came in and dove on the canyons.

Before the Mechs could power up and take one-step, the missiles came down onto the canyons. The walls exploded out and tons of rock started falling into the narrow tracks, covering the Mechs before they could get out of their hidey-holes.

Richard looked on, as his men were being buried alive. Before he could say anything, the main screen switched and he was looking at one of his oldest friends.

"Sorry about that Richard, but you are too predictable," replied Brigadier General Mark Anthon

"Mark ... you just killed a lot of my boys and girls. I'm going to kick your sorry ass all over this planet."

"Maybe you will, and maybe you won't. Now I would advise you to surrender. I just pulled your teeth. Now I don't want to kill any civilians if I can help it, so surrender. This war of yours against the United States is now over. If you all surrender now, I promise you will all be interned as enemy combatants. If you don't, I am sorry you will all be classified as terrorists for the murder of the members of congress and the senate."

Richard's eyes went narrow as he looked at his friend, and said, "We had nothing to do with the murders. You know me! I would never have anything to..."

"I've seen the evidence, so don't try to bullshit me. Besides, I gave my oath to the United States, and that is all that matters. Now I suggest you surrender. You're surrounded and you have no way out."

"No it isn't," Richard snarled and then continued, "cut the audio." As the audio was cut, he turned to Mitch and said, "Mitchell, release the APES."

"Sir?"

"They're your brain child, get them going."

"Yes, Sir, I need a hook up to my lab."

"Use station three behind you," Richard said as he pointed to an empty console.

Turning Mitch ran to the console and sat down. His fingers flew over the panel and he brought the com system up. "Suzy, are the APES ready?"

"Yes they are. We have three hundred of them online and ready to go. We have an additional three hundred to cover any losses."


Mars: American Expedition Force

"That son of a bitch cut me off!" Turning the frequency he said, "Launch missiles on the outer defenses of their base. Let's see if they talk after we pull their teeth," Mark snarled in his com as he brought up his HUD and looked down on the Federation base.


Mars Base: Federation Side

Mitchell turned in his chair, and he looked over at the General, and said, "Sir, I need a target location."

"Mitch, your targets are south of us at twenty miles. I want you to disable them, take out their legs. I don't want any unnecessary killing if it can be helped. Those are good men and woman out there. They are just being led by a fool and an oath that has no meaning, now."

"Yes, Sir," Mitchell said as he turned back to his console, he continued, "Did you hear that Suzy?"

"Yes I did, Mitch. I am releasing the Yellowjackets now."

"Yellowjackets?" Mitch asked.

"That's what they look like Mitch. Let me bring up the cosmetic changes I implicated to them. I think you will like them," Suzy said.

On the screen, the basic design of the APE changed, morphed as he watched in awe and then it steadied into its new form, until it was a giant wasp.

"I like it, Suzy. You may officially classify them as the Yellowjackets," replied General Polk as he looked over Mitch's shoulder.

Across the base, three windows opened in the side of a small dome and dozens of six foot tall flying Mechs flew out the openings. They formed up in squads of five and flew south.


Mars: American Expedition Force

Brigadier General Anthon went through his battle plan and started dispatching squads of Mechs into smaller assault squads to take out the spaceport, and the farming domes as well as the hydrogen plant. When finished, the remaining six hundred Mechs started forward towards the main complex, a little over twenty miles away.

"Colonel Wright, I want you to bring your marines in once we've blasted a hole through the defense lines."

"Yes, Sir. As soon as you get me a hole, we will take the base," replied Colonel James Wright.

Across the Martian landscape, hidden defense stations popped up and opened fire on the advancing Mechs, which returned the incoming fire. Mechs blew up as the multi-barreled rail guns locked on and destroy the invaders. Heavy defense lasers lifted themselves up out of the side of a small mountain and their beams of death sliced the giant machines in half. Mechs turned and unleashed their deadly arsenal and defense stations exploded under the concentration of five or more Mechs.

The Americans APCs closed into attack range and their short-ranged missile launchers started belching out hundreds of three-foot long surface-to-surface missiles. The missiles flew the ten miles and slammed into a force fence that had been erected around the huge base. Missiles flew from hidden defense launchers and started coming down on the formations of American hover craft and they started exploding as some of them took direct hits.

Colonel James Wright watched his APCs closing onto the base on his HUD, which was now less than ten miles away. Over thirty had been destroyed in the first barrage, and a second wave was on the way in. Now that the enemy gun positions had been located, the remaining APCs unleashed more of their missiles in the goal of flattening an entire section of the defense works.

Federation Mechs started charging out of their hiding spots and started engaging the American Mechs in quick nasty fights. James watched as a pair of Giant class Mechs took on ten American Bengals and when the smoke and dust storm settled both Mechs were down but so were seven of the lighter Mechs with more of the Federation Mechs closing in.

"Shit, target those big bastards. We have to take them out. We cannot stand those types of losses," James snarled into his com unit as he spotted something zoom across the screen, and he asked, "What the hell was that?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.