Columbia - Cover

Columbia

Copyright© 2009 by Sea-Life

Chapter 6: The Road to the Future

Cooper Wilson's ultralight, as originally designed, could do about 130 miles between refuelings. It had been a single seater, but this modified version had a larger engine, tandem seats and a gas tank that was double the size of the original. The engine itself had been tinkered with considerably, making it run efficiently on the home-brewed fuel made from waste crops and rendered animal fats. It could still do 130 miles, 140 with a tail wind before refueling, and even offered a partial wraparound wind screen that kept the worst of the wind out of the pilot and passenger's faces.

"I still can't believe you talked me into this," Dante Arellano yelled into Cooper's ear beside him.

"You say that every time. You've got to be getting used to it by now," Cooper yelled back. The pair had made three hops so far. Pendleton to Pilot Rock, Pilot rock to Heppner, and Heppner to Condon. They had spent the night in Condon, topping off the tanks with the cached fuel Cooper knew would be there and lifted off for Kent midmorning. Cooper had wanted to have full daylight for this last stretch. It was the last, and the most dangerous of the legs.

They crossed the John Day river at Chisholm Canyon with Wolf Mountain looming just south of them. Once they'd passed this point, they were back above relatively safe ground. One more small canyon, the tail end of Armstrong Canyon, and they were within eyeball range of Kent, what little of it there was. Cooper brought the ultralight to a smooth landing smack dab in the center of Dobie Point Road just as it turned into Kent's main street. He let the engine idle a moment without load before tripping the kill switch and shutting off the fuel.

"Welcome to Kent," he announced, his voice seeming overly loud in the sudden silence. "Thank you for flying Air Wilson."

"Very funny," Dante muttered as he climbed stiffly out of the aircraft.

"Remind me again what we're doing in this ghost town?" Cooper asked.

"Laying low and watching for anyone who looks suspicious," Dante said. Adding, after a long moment, "and waiting."


At Huck's direction, Taegan led their party into Wasco. It was late, but there was still plenty of daylight by the time they reached the Heart of Wasco's main street.

"Seems to be pretty deserted," Conway sniggered.

"We'll be met," Huck countered.

"Met indeed," came a voice from behind them. All eight of them spun in their saddles, reaching for their guns. Only Huck's voice kept them from clearing leather.

"About time John, I'd expected a warmer welcome."

"Sorry, but there are two roads into town you know, and I can't quite watch both of them."

"I suppose that's true," Huck dismounted and walked over to the younger man, and the pair exchanged a warm hug.

"This is John Cantor, an associate of mine," Huck said. "He already knows who each of you are."

"A pleasure meeting you all," John said.

"Okay, who's the woman?" Huck asked.

"That's Birdie. I should have known you would spot her. Come on out Birdie, no sense staying hid."

A lovely woman dressed in fringed leathers came walking from between two buildings across the street from where John Cantor had been standing. She walked over and slid comfortably alongside John, hip to hip.

"Everyone, this is Birdie Gilead," John said. "Have you all had breakfast?" The question was met by a collective nod from the group. "Alright, how about we head over to the warehouse and get some tea then. We can make some better introductions and maybe figure out what we're all doing here."

"I don't think we'll have long to wait," Pip said, pointing towards the opposite end of main street. "Look!"

Two men on horseback were riding slowly down the street towards them.

"Its Dad and Carlos Arellano!" Pip cried out, jogging his horse into a trot towards the approaching pair.

"A gathering of kith and kin, it would seem," Taegan observed to Jenna.

Those gathered made introductions, and generally caught up on things. They spoke of life, births and deaths, horses and houses, crops and fish. The family-type news out of the way, the questions turned to the ambush, and the details. Jenna's miraculous route up out of the wash that freed them from the trap received particular mention, and Jenna was quick to dismiss her efforts as just a little hard work and a good eye.

"Don't forget an uncanny knack with horses," Taegan said. "How she kept those horses calm going up that seam of rock I'll never know."

"The question I have about the ambush is, how was it even possible?" Sam Porter asked. "Who knew where we were going, and when? Hell, we hadn't even discussed it among ourselves in public."

"That's a mystery we'll have to solve in the morning. Its getting late and I need some sleep. I'm not as young as I used to be, you know."

"Sure Grandpa, looks like there's plenty of room to bunk down in the warehouse. I don't suppose the plumbing works?"

"Sure does," Birdie answered.

"There's folks using this town, and even a local character or two," John added. "They've kept things running as best they could, and the water, sewer and electricity are all in good shape, though a lot of the older houses are starting to fall down, just from neglect and weather."

"Well, lets hit the sack. Someone gonna offer to make breakfast in the morning?"

"I will," Lily offered. "You like pancakes Grandpa?"

"Sure do, thanks sweetheart."

Taegan woke in the middle of the night, Jenna pressed firmly against his side, very aware of having a pleasingly soft and warm breast cupped in his hand. Because he was awake, and because of what filled his hand, his senses were very much fully on. Perhaps that was why he sensed movement in the rear of the building. That couldn't explain why he felt compelled to rise and follow. Jenna felt his movement, the loss of his hand on her, and rose to follow Taegan in turn.

The high windows in the back of the room let enough moonlight in that a figure could be seen slipping out the rear door. This was where everyone's boots and gear had been hung for the night, so Taegan had no problem finding his boots, coat and gun belt, but he decided to leave the boots. He had been sleeping with his boot liners on, and thought they would offer enough protection while being much quieter than his boots. The figure ahead of them moved towards the horses and this gave Taegan a moment to whisper hurriedly to Jenna.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.