Aggy- Book 1 - Cover

Aggy- Book 1

Copyright© 2009 by Green Dragon

Chapter 36

The missing Flock returned mid morning watch and the Avers shortly thereafter. McCock had the card equipment in the office having remembered at the last minute Hugh's instructions. The Avers were enjoying a bulb and discussing the work schedule. The Flock were gathering in the "Trader's" lounge getting themselves a light breakfast; Polack was giving the returnees a run down of the proposal to have a tender space on the project and specifically in the project using the "Offspring".

McCock meanwhile was authorizing the access cards for Tony and 'Mina Galbraith. As he was gathering up the equipment, Hugh handed each of the Galbraiths a very antiquated pocketbook bearing the Royal Coat of Arms. To their puzzled looks,

"My senior got several crates at disposal when Service went PDA. Family believes writing notes reinforces, PDA reading doesn't. Sit. Take notes, stick's in sleeve. This forenoon I wll take you through the lectures on safety in the Yard and emergency procedures will be covered afternoon watch. Tomorrow you will be here midmorning watch and stand down at last dog; that is your work day. Tomorrow and for the rest of this week, you will be assigned a mentor who will instruct you on the machinery. You will not absorb all the machinery instructions but you will my safety lectures.

This yard has five hatches with air locks..."

McCock recognized the NCO lecture tone, 'serious mode, don't forget this'. He joined the Flock after returning the scanner to the Purser's safe. The discussion had finished with agreement. They did not envisage any prolonged period of testing of the prototype and if RMN wanted the higher endurance etc. The tender would be needed for testing runs of the prototype anyway and "Offspring" has passed all its tests receiving certification in the 'local space small yacht' category. Access was to be through aft engine room bulkhead for 'greasers' and shielded tunnel from the forward to aft engine room bulkheads for the topside crew. Air lock hatch at each access point. Shielded tunnel and hatches would be obtained locally and fitted when received. Denny and Slow to co-ordinate with Polack for engine space location and adjust environmental as necessary. Slow to run the additional sensors and harness. Cowboy was given the task of davits in the tender bay and the bay's hatch. Orders to McCock please.

Temporary entries on the 'puter plans ASAP. Cowboy went off to "Trader's" boat bay to take a much closer look at "Offspring's" davit there. McCock loaded additional Armoralloy plates in the dock racks, clocked into the control cabin, checked to locate his colleagues, double checked the A-B hatch and activated the rotating beacons of the assembler. He noted the 'puter boot up and started up the machinery. He drifted on his securing belt scrutinizing the progress of the machinery on both his 'puter and visually on the vids zooming in and out, angling view and making the occasional touch to a control. It was these times with his mind and hands occupied doing something useful that he found most rewarding.

"Aren't you interested in eating," Denny broke into his concentration, "Coming down the slide."

"Occasionally", he replied, turning to remove his food parcel from the front side of the cabin.

Looking at the parcel's contents, McCock remarked

"We could do with some variation in this."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.