Aggy- Book 1
Chapter 30

Copyright© 2009 by Green Dragon

The Chief Yeoman murmured into his comm.,

"Commodore Rowan is here, Sir," and getting a reply looked at Silas, "Sir Laurence is waiting for you in the small conference room Sir." and pointed across to the single door. Nodding his thanks, Silas entered the room. He viewed the combination of occupants unhappily, Sir Laurence AND 'Cruncher' Milligan. He became even unhappier when Sir Laurence spoke to him.

"Help yourself to a brew, Silas. We're waiting for Sir James to arrive; he was delayed at the First Lord's meeting; no, nothing to do with this matter. There are times, very few and quickly quashed I hasten to say, when I think I'd like a good war going somewhere so I could with justification pass matters like this off to an assistant. Its just that a peace time Navy seems riddled with egos and intrigue and politics."

The First Space Lord had arrived to hear the last observation.

"And do you really think a war would make any difference? All the study and reading of post war memoirs and histories makes me overjoyed we are at peace. I've long held the opinion that wars are fought on two fronts – one against your enemies and the second against your so called friends and colleagues.

"That's a bit cynical isn't it?" 'Cruncher' remonstrated. Sir James shrugged and got his coffee. As he settled he asked generally.

"What's this meeting about that it needs the First Space Lord?"

"The Cockerel and his Flock," said Sir Laurence, "'The Crypt', as they were once known during their sojourn at Weapons' Development Bureau."

He went on in response to quixical eyebrows of Sir James and 'Red'; Silas just slumped lower in his chair,

"Hezbediah Matthius Samuel McCock, Ensign, Grenoble Defense Force, seconded to Wep Dev;

Eric B. Denholt, PO2, RMN;

Liznargh A. Gort, PO2, RMN;

Sabajhi C. Indira, PO2, RMN;

Gregor A. Kowalski, PO2, RMN;

They are serving as a special research unit out of my office."

As the list was being detailed, 'Cruncher' Milligan's face was becoming a strange shade of red, deeper though than his hair,

"They were junior NCO's" he managed to splutter.

"Well, not McCock" pointed out Sir Laurence,

"The GDF" continued Milligan, "which hasn't existed for the past fifty years gets put in command of a section dealing with warship manning and assisted by four junior NCO's?"

Sir Laurence replied,

"That's all we had and we thought rightly that they would stay under the horizon of the traditionalists. This might explain McCock," he passed a chip to Milligan and another to Sir James who waved it away,

"If that's his paper to Raoul, I've read it!"

Milligan digested the summary as the others enjoyed their coffee.

"Thoreau still good?" enquired Sir James. Sir Laurence nodded.

Milligan passed the chip back,

"Let me tell my story. Four junior NCO's; my staff is going to crap. Appears Colin Bonder, he's got "Naseby", he and his Tac officer Bert Filister, were in the gallery for the second day of that competition and watched my little lot get their heads handed to them. That trick where that big blond makes his squadron disappear really interested Bert. He got Colin's permission, made enquiries and invited Mr. E. B. Denholt to accompany "Naseby" on a trial run; she had completed repairs first; and please bring that little black box with him plus explanation...

Denholt boards just before cast off and stands quietly at the rear of the bridge out of the way. When they are clear of the outer ring Bonder hands over to the Exec and listens as Denholt and Bert discuss that exercise. Bert says he really wants to know how to make his ship disappear and then he'll worry about the Squadron. Colin seconds that...

"We did cheat a bit", Mr Denholt admits "The scenario is a bit artificial in that there is only the one simulator. So I joined our box into" – Colin did rattle off the set number but I've forgotten it - it's the EW master - "If I may I'll hook it up." Colin quibbled about security and Mr Denholt produced a clearance signed by Diana herself saying anything in the Naval Service. Bonder was satisfied and said Denholt had the covers off, power cycle out – EW wasn't activated for this run – his little black box in situ and a test with a meter in about two minutes...

Denholt did seem to know what he was doing. He asked Bert if 'near approach' had "Naseby". They did. Denbolt asked permission to fire up the set and make an adjustment or so. Granted. Small front panel removed, meter connected, screw driver adjustment of frequency made. Denholt asked permission to bring EW on line, granted, activated the warning signal, waited for the reports from the Bosun, no one on EVA and the radio shack anchored its disks, and then tripped the switch. Colin said he always knew what the fastest unit of time was but Approach halved it, "Naseby Naseby please acknowledge stat, over." His coms said "Naseby" was still there and what was the problem. Appears "Naseby" had disappeared off their screens. Denholt pointed out that "Naseby" screens were still operating and asked if Approach would report when "Naseby" reappeared as they were trialling some equipment. After about a minute at cruise power, he switched EW back to standby and Approach confirmed reappearance. Colin and Bert got the ship's experts up into the Captain's cubby and the very technical discussion went over Colin's head, he's tac nav stream. Bert explained after Denholt had gone ashore – without his black box - I'm told it was left in situ. When the black box is tuned from the panel it goes into a mode where, when being actively swept, the shields tune to the probing signal and absorbs them. It has been tested up to five probe freqs at a time. However when the shields are so tuned, if an opposing operator is on passive and the operator is aware of the likelihood and can work his equipment, the ship can be picked up a little more easily at much shorter range as the passive operator will see a hole, but the passive operator has to know what he is doing and his set must be in first class condition. Denholt said Wep Dev had put it to the manufacturers but they squealed 'patent infringements' and are trying to come up with their own but they are really primitive and presently can only manage one frequency. To return to normal shields just to go back to set tuning. Bert got the meter readings and "you can leave that set there and show this Electrician's Mate where to connect ammeter which he is going to mount on the panel" thank you Mr Denholt...

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.