Forgotten Family - Cover

Forgotten Family

Copyright© 2009 by Allan Joyal

Chapter 2: The Final Outing

It was hard for me to keep going. I loved Amber and Alex, and both of them accepted me as their parent, but it was not the same without Missy. That first weekend alone, Amber and Alex wanted to go to the park. At first I wanted to refuse, but the hope and love in Amber's eyes softened my heart. I ended up mostly sitting on a bench watching Amber and Alex play in the sandbox of the playground. It was helpful though, and the happy shouts and cries of the children brought a smile to my face for the first time since Missy's death.

I continued this way for two more weeks, bringing the children to work and keeping my hours down. Eventually Heidi's boss Jacob came down to investigate, but after seeing the children quietly working on a puzzle I had purchased the night before merely inquired as to my progress on a report archive he had requested and returned to the executive offices on the second floor of the building.

There was one side effect of bringing the children to work. Several of the ladies in the office came by with little presents or candy for the kids during breaks. Heidi was there almost daily, but there were about seven who made their presence known during those three weeks. I think it was Susan who mentioned a children's movie that had come out the week after Missy's death first, but soon Amber was campaigning for me to take her brother and her to the movies. I really was not happy with the idea, but could not disappoint Amber and finally looked at the local theaters looking for where we could go. I found a new cinema to the south was showing the movie on one of its ten screens, and the next Saturday morning we were in line at ten to get tickets.

The movie was to start at eleven thirty, but there was another blockbuster opening and the lines for tickets quickly stretched around the building. I had led the children inside, and entertained them with stories and songs while waiting for the snack stand to open. Finally, the cinema staff opened the snack lines and I led an eager Amber to the lines so she could get some popcorn.

Amber was still excitedly telling me about the movie, as the night before she had visited with a neighbor's kid who had watched the movie the previous weekend. I was so entertained by her antics that at first I did not notice when the employee behind the counter froze, looking at something over my shoulder.

I turned slowly and noticed the gray blurred field stretching from floor to ceiling where the front doors of the cinema stood. I was reaching down to take the children's hands when a voice boomed throughout the cinema.

"Everyone, I'll make this simple. If you are inside the cinema, you are part of a pickup. We are going to leave from the lobby, so if you have the CAP to volunteer, come check- in and start selecting your concubines. If you want to present yourself as a candidate to become a concubine, you should come to the lobby as well. If you have weapons, I recommend leaving them where you are. We know the lobby is currently safe, so if you bring a weapon in, your next of kin can try to identify the body."

I smiled at the final comment, but nudged Amber and Alex over to a bench in the lobby. The employee behind the counter had been a young man and he was already scrambling over the counter looking for any female volunteers, obviously hoping to be picked. I just wanted to get the children out of the way as people started to boil out of some of the theaters.

Once we were sitting down I watched the people around me. It was clear that whoever was in charge of this pickup had events well organized. There was an armored marine standing at the entrance to each wing of the cinema. This marine was greeting people as they came out of the cinemas and checking CAP cards. Another pair of marines was working through the people who had been in the lobby when the announcement was made. It was clear by the steady flow of people to one side of the lobby, where the women started stripping that concubine hopefuls were being directed to one location while sponsors were being asked to wait for the flow of people to settle down. Finally, the flood of people from the cinemas stopped and the voice continued. "That's good, thank you for your patience and for not bringing weapons. Sponsors, you know how many concubines you can select. Please work quickly we'd like to leave before a full riot starts outside.

I turned away and concentrated on distracting Amber and Alex. I guess I could have wandered to the theater where the movie was going to show, but I wanted Amber to have popcorn, so I figured I would wait out the pickup before we left the lobby. Amber and Alex were confused, but enjoying my attention when I realized that someone had walked up to me.

I looked up to find a young woman of about twenty years with short blond hair looking at me. Standing behind her was a young lady who seemed to be one of those pretty, but shy studious girls everyone says makes a great wife. I was going to turn back to Amber when the blond spoke to me. "Do you have a CAP card?"

I looked back in shock, but managed to pull my wallet out of my pocket. "Yes, at least I did," I said as I fought to remove it from the compartment where he had rested for years. It had become wedged in, but I finally tore it free and handed it to the lady.

"Daddy?" Amber said putting a hand on my arm. "What's happening?"

I looked down at Amber who seemed to have realized that the lobby was now filled with people shouting sexual commands and others enacting the commands. Alex was playing with a light stick I had given him in the morning and I sighed. "Don't worry Amber, nothing will happen to you. I promise."

The girl thrust the card back at me and then looked at Amber and Alex. She seemed puzzled and turned back to whisper something to the girl following her who shook her head. I was about to leave when the blond looked at me again. "These two can't be your children."

I shrugged. "True. Their real father died over a year ago. Three weeks ago their mother, a woman I loved more than anything, died in that stupid pickup related riot at the mall. They are all I have of her, and I'm all they have."

I was putting my CAP card back when the blond ripped it out of my hand, putting it under some scanner. She looked at it in increasing disbelief and then handed the card and scanner to her friend who appeared puzzled.

"This can't..." the dark haired girl whispered.

"Should we?" I heard the blond say.

At this point I turned back to the children and started to stand up. The sounds of the orgy were beginning to remind me uncomfortably of how Janice left me and I wanted to leave the area. I had picked up Alex when the blond shouted. "Wait! Please!"

I stopped and turned to see the blond looking uncertain. I waited as she fidgeted and was about to turn again when she took a deep breath and spoke. "I'm sorry, I did not begin this well. I'm a sponsor. I have a six point eight CAP score, and need two concubines."

I nodded, but said nothing more. The girl looked over at her friend and there was another whispered exchange before the dark haired one sighed and spoke. "Theresa, you know what you want, and you know I agree with you. Just ask him."

Theresa did not look happy, but turned to me. "Sir, I don't know how to ask this. You see Traci and I are well..." she blushed.

I could see a matching blush on Traci's cheeks and tried to hide a smile. "You wish to remain as just a couple. I understand, and will bother you no more."

I was about to turn when Theresa gasped. "No, that's not it. Well not exactly. Yes, Traci and I are lovers. She means the world to me and is my first choice as a concubine, but the Confederacy wants her to get pregnant, and will want me pregnant in the future as well."

At this point I was getting annoyed, but sat down and put Alex on my lap. "That's understandable. Once they evacuate people from Earth they want more children to help build the new colonies. Sounds rather simple."

Theresa squeaked and turned redder. I was puzzling over this when Traci spoke up. "God Theresa, I just can't get you. You are an incredible athlete, were valedictorian of your high school, and one of the most sexual women I know, but you can't speak to a man when he's making it easy." She turned to me and smiled. "What my mistress and lover is asking is if you'd want to be her concubine, and get me pregnant."

I thought I could not be shocked, but I just sat there silently. In one sentence this young lady had offered me an opportunity to save Amber and Alex, yet I could not believe that anyone would make an offer to me.

"But ... I'm not a good choice," I protested. "I know my score."

Traci snorted. "The score on that card might have been true when you took that test, but there's no way its accurate now. The man who took that test was loyal to no one, but you have your lover's son sitting on your lap yet she is gone. The rest of the scores appear to be similar. Something happened to you, because that score is of another man, and Theresa and I think it's worth taking a chance on you."

I laughed. "You act like you have a good enough score to volunteer yourself."

Traci shook her head. "No, I'm only a six point one. I'm not all that smart. But I love Theresa, and we need a man who won't pressure us for sex."

I sighed. "So I'll be around just to get your pregnant, and then it's off to a lonely bed while you two enjoy each other." I could see Theresa about to say something, but she stopped as I raised my hand. "Amber and Alex get to come along, correct?"

Theresa paused looking at me. Her mouth opened and closed silently and then she nodded. "Yes, if the Confederacy agrees. But weren't you just upset because you'll only get sex until Traci is pregnant."

I looked at Theresa and heard her gasp as the pain of Missy's loss passed through my eyes. "The Sa'arm are coming, and if they arrive while Amber and Alex are still on Earth, these two children, who mean absolutely everything to me, will perish. I was holding Missy's hand as she died and I promised her that I would protect her children. If I were told that I could get off planet by becoming a eunuch of old, but that Amber and Alex would come with me, I'd hold the knife as it performed the surgery. You are offering me a wonderful gift, and I'll be your jester, your bard, your storyteller and your servant. I will keep the pod clean, all the children happy and entertained and allow you all the privacy you need. All I ask is that you never let me go. Amber and Alex are all I have left now. I loved their mother and if I cannot be with her, allow me to watch her children become adults."

Theresa had a hand over her mouth and I thought she was angry. Traci grabbed her and dragged her a short distance away where they engaged in a heated but whispered conversation. As they did Amber tugged on my sleeve.

"Daddy? What is happening?" Amber asked.

I put my free hand on her head. "Sorry, little one. Some people are getting an opportunity to go on a long trip, and travel far from here."

"Is that like Rachel?" Amber asked. I had to think for a while and remembered that Missy had told me that one of Amber's friends left with a pickup about four months ago. We had merely told her that Rachel had gone on a long trip, and over time Amber had accepted the absence of her playmate.

"Yes," I said. "This is similar to what happened when Rachel left on her trip."

Amber giggled and started teasing Alex. I expected another question, but she said nothing as Theresa and Traci continued their argument. I had just about convinced myself that they were going to look elsewhere when Theresa waved her hands in negation. "No, if you do it, I can as well," she growled.

Traci nodded and turned to me with a smile. She then waved to Theresa who sighed and spoke. "David, sorry about that. I guess I need to admit the truth. Yes, Traci and I are lesbians, but neither of us is turned off by the idea of sex with a man. It's more that we had bad experiences and found comfort in each other's arms. I was raped in high school by three different boyfriends, and decided to stop dating. I've never had a man who tried to make me enjoy sex, and I guess I saw being a sponsor as a way at getting back at men."

Theresa took a breath, but Traci put a hand on her arm. "No, I can tell my own story," she whispered. "David, I'm guessing you see me as a bit of a female nerd. The girl, who could be pretty, but wears plain clothing and glasses to hide. I am. And I blame that on my family, who kept me sheltered throughout my childhood. The only man I ever knew was my father, and he was a domineering man who abused his servants and maids. I grew up uncomfortable around men and when Theresa became my roommate last year at college, we found a connection. When it comes to men I'm really a virgin."

I shrugged. "Ladies, I agreed to come and make not demands beyond the one I already made."

Theresa sighed. "But we have one for you. David, I know I have a problem with men, but Traci convinced me that if I take you as a concubine it's not fair if it's only to get us pregnant. So, I make you a promise. Traci will always be first in my heart, she really is the light in my life, but you will never sleep alone. Even if we decide it's a night just for us, afterwards we will come and cuddle with you, and hopefully, we'll come to want to be with you."

I bowed my head. "Theresa, I accept. I would have accepted without that promise, but now I feel even more honored. Thank you. I'm sure Missy thanks you from the heavens."

Theresa smiled and gave me a hug before turning and starting to walk away. I realized that she was heading towards one of the marines and stood up, holding Alex and reaching down to grab Amber's hand.

"Are we going on a trip?" Amber asked.

"Yes," I hissed. "We need to follow the two ladies. They will guide us."

Amber giggled. "Does that mean I have two new mommies?"

I looked up at Traci who stumbled as Amber said that. "How about calling them Aunt for now," I suggested. "If they want you to call them mommy, they will tell you."

I could see Traci shaking her head as Theresa stood in front of a female marine. "I have my two," she said confidently.

The female marine looked at me. "Are those your children?"

I clutched Alex a bit tighter. "No," I admitted. "But I'm all they have. Their father died in an accident over a year ago, and their mother died three weeks ago in that riot around the pickup at the mall. I'm all they have, and if I can't take them with me, I'll stay here."

The marine's eyes unfocused for a moment, and I could hear her mutter something quietly. The conversation seemed to last for several moments before she looked at me again. "Do you have names for them?"

I nodded. "Amber Jennifer Scott and Alex Michael Scott, Junior. Their parents were Alex Michael Scott, Senior and Melissa Jean Scott."

There was another period of one-sided conversation and then the marine smiled. "And you must be David Tolvin. There are records showing you are the children's authorized guardian now. They will stay with you."

I released the breath I had not realized I was holding and then blushed deeply as Traci wrapped her arms around me in a hug. She let go with her own blush, but Amber merely giggled.

The marine also laughed and pointed towards the teleport pad. "Take your concubines through, and you can start the check-in," she told Theresa. "It will save time since some of the men are probably going to take another twenty minutes or so to decide."

Theresa laughed and led us to the teleport pad. Moments later we found ourselves in a small hold looking at a mountain of a man who seemed surprised to see us. "What are you doing here?" he asked.

Theresa seemed suddenly confident. "Theresa Johnston, new sponsor, following instructions to teleport to the ship, sir. I was told it might expedite our check-in."

The man shrugged. "CAP cards then? We always start with that."

Theresa immediately handed over hers and Traci's and retrieved mine from me to hand over. The man looked them over and the paused for a moment before cursing. "Damn, this isn't the right ship for you."

"What?" Theresa asked.

"This ship isn't going to stop at the planet you are designated for," the man said. "You're Navy, and slotted for Borneo, where they need officers with your math skills. I need to transfer you to Foxfire before the ship leaves the system."

We stood there silently until Alex started to fidget. I sat down and set him on my lap, trying to distract the boy while the man carried on a short discussion with a voice from the air. Finally he smiled and turned to Theresa. "There, Foxfire is ready to receive your party, although they are already boosting for the jump point. You'll need to step onto the transport pad now, and they'll give you an abbreviated briefing."

He pointed back at the pad, and I stood in a hurry. Traci gathered up Alex and we dashed onto the pad. A moment later we found ourselves in a different hold, this one completely empty.

A voice rang out in the empty hold. "Sorry, we're about to enter jump, so we have no one to meet you. If you look down you'll see a blue line glowing on the floor, follow it and it will lead to your pod."

We followed the line as it led us down the spine of the ship and to a closed door. Once we arrived an emotionless voice rang out. "What is your business?"

Traci looked confused, but Theresa smiled. "Enlistee Theresa Johnston reporting as directed. We were instructed to follow the line and it led to this door."

There was a pause and the door opened. "Enter your new pod," the voice said. "Due to the ship being underway it's not possible to give you the full briefing. Inside the pod the sponsor is the law. Concubines are to follow all orders given to them by their sponsor. Children under fourteen are exempt from this and protected. There is to be no sexual contact with a child under age thirteen and only oral or manual sex if the child is under fourteen. You will be provided with a training schedule by communicator within twenty- four hours. If you have questions, you can voice them out loud and if possible I shall answer. Please note that all adults in the pod will need to visit the medical bay as soon as possible. You will be notified when there is free space in the medical pods."

I looked around the room and noticed that the pod had two levels and at least three additional chambers on this floor. Amber started to complain about missing the movie and I looked over at Theresa. "Mistress? I know we just arrived, but can you find out if there is a way to show movies in one of the rooms. If we could show a few children's features it should keep Amber and Alex calm while we figure out what to do."

Theresa gave me a puzzled look and then shrugged. "Why don't you do it?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.