Narius - Cover

Narius

Copyright© 2009 by SamN

Chapter 3: The Foederatian Campaign

Narnia, Western Roman Empire, 478 Narius sat down quietly inside his tent as his army camped outside the city of Narnia. The citizens there had all sworn loyalty to Rome and were even providing some militia forces to make sure that no raiders came south into Roman territory. His individual legion commanders, Urses and Flavius Sextus were present along with the representative of the Eastern Roman Empire, the General Illus.

"Now, gentlemen, the real campaign will begin," Narius spoke as he sat down, "It is time to advance north and find out who survived the battles in the far north."

"Do you know where Orestes and Odoacer are?" Illus asked from his seat, "Your advance has been rather blind so far, in my opinion."

"The last thing that I knew for sure was that Orestes was headed north from Ravenna shortly before I claimed the Imperial Throne," Narius replied, "Likely to ally himself with the Burgundians against Odoacer. Other then that, I do not know what has happened."

"I can send a small body of cavalry to scout northwards," Urses spoke, "They can either find our enemies or find someone that knows what has happened."

Narius nodded, "Do that, but make sure they understand that they are not to engage any major army that they encounter."

"Of course, sire," Urses replied.

"Regardless of which army survived the battle in the north," Narius then spoke, "Our main task is to take Ravenna."

"Why Ravenna?" Flavius Sextus asked, "Wouldn't it be better to march after the enemy's army?"

"Ravenna has been used as the official Western Capital," Narius answered, "If we ignore it, whoever Orestes left in charge of the city could raise an army of his own and attack us while we chase Orestes or Odoacer, or worse still, they could advance on Rome. And with large numbers of our Germanic enemies living along the route to Ravenna, enemies that could easily join such a raiding party if it turns out that Odoacer is the victor of the northern battles, we must make sure that our rear is secure."

"So, who will we be facing?" Urses asked, "We can't make war on every Germanic tribe that has settled within Roman territory."

"Not unless you have a death wish," Flavius Sextus added.

Narius nodded, "Our enemies are the Foederate tribes that follow Odoacer. The Sciri and the Heruli. They've settled in the various towns and villages between here and Ravenna and strongly support Odoacer. Our campaign against these people is to break their will to fight Roman authority."

"If they fight?" Flavius Sextus asked.

"Most of their warriors are already with Odoacer," Narius answered, "I do not think we will face any organized resistance, but if they do fight in any way, they are to be crushed. Anyone who provides aid and shelter to them is to be crushed."

"Of course, sire," Flavius Sextus and Urses answered, almost in unison.

"All of their acquired wealth is to go to General Illus to pay for the Greek provinces," Narius continued.

"You can't expect these tribesmen to have enough wealth to pay your debt," Illus grumbled.

"These Germans have acquired a fair amount of wealth, at least their nobles anyway," Narius answered, "Either in bribes by Roman nobles or from looting what little wealth other Romans have had. I can not waste time going house to house to return such goods to the 'rightful owner' so I will see to it that the wealth is put to something that will benefit the entire Empire."

Genua Orestes dropped onto the couch of a nobleman who, thankfully was a supporter of his reign with a great deal of frustration in his voice and appearance. His host noticed this and slowly approached holding a container or wine.

"Is there something wrong, sire?" his host asked.

"Things seem to be falling apart," Orestes answered, "Odoacer won the battle at Mediolanum and is likely to take over the Empire. Gundobad has fled with the remains of his army back to the Burgundian kingdom, and my army was shattered, and I am still waiting for the remnants to gather here."

His host then looked rather nervous at Orestes for a moment.

"Will Odoacer come here?" his host asked.

"I don't know," Orestes answered, "Odoacer did not pursue us when our forces broke up and Gundobad quickly departed before I did. I'd think he'd follow the Burgundians first, as they made up the majority of the forces on 'my' side at Mediolanum."

"I suppose you'll want me to organize the local militia to defend the city when Odoacer arrives?" his host asked.

"At least until I can regroup my army and negotiate a new deal with the Burgundians," Orestes sighed.

"What about that General to the south, Nairus?" his host asked.

Orestes shook his head, "No. Narius has also proclaimed himself to be Emperor. I need to defeat Odoacer first before I can deal with him."

"How long will it take you to gather your legion?" his host asked.

"Not very long if they follow their instructions carefully," Orestes sighed, "A day or so, at most."

Narona, Dalmatia Theodoric Strabo and the younger Theodoric surveyed the meager defenses that Odoacer had left in Dalmatia. There wasn't much that could stop them, and people who ran in terror when Odoacer's men attacked to finish of Nepos, rain again as Ostrogoth warriors rampaged through the city.

"There isn't much here," Theodoric commented as he and the elder chieftain walked through the streets of the emptying city.

Theodoric Strabo turned to watch a few peasants flee down a street before answering.

"There is enough to distract Odoacer," Theodoric Strabo replied, "These peasants will flee north into the Lombard lands and toward the areas where Odoacer is still in control."

"That will lead his army back towards us," Theodoric commented.

"At least part of it," Theodoric Strabo spoke, "He is still busy dealing with Orestes. At worst he is only beginning to consolidate his power. If we attract some of Odoacer's men to Dalmatia, we can crush them here while their civil war continues further to the west for a longer period of time, making the victor an even weaker target."

Theodoric Strabo then paused and smiled for a moment.

"I can see our victory parade through Ravenna and Rome as we proclaim the new Kingdom of Italy," Theodoric Strabo said confidently, "Odoacer's retainers here are meaningless and any Romans loyal to Orestes will gladly serve us to be rid of Odoacer."

"What of the Roman general that Zeno heard rumors of?" Theodoric asked, "He is bound to know of our crossing into Italy when it happens. How will we explain it to him that we've betrayed him and killed the man he waned to rule over Italy?"

"We tell him that he was flying either Orestes or Odoacer's banners and was therefore in defiance of Zeno," Theodoric Strabo answered, "And that is IF he even exists. I have been around for a very long time, young Theodoric. While a Roman's wealth and lifestyle is quite desirable, it is the very curse that will destroy them. They've forgotten how to fight wars and are only concerned about their wealth, meaning they'll follow anyone who will preserve it. We can simply tell Zeno that this general sided with Orestes or Odoacer thinking he could save his family's wealth."

"And supposing he doesn't believe you?" Theodoric answered, "I do not want to go from fighting Odoacer to fighting the Eastern Roman Empire, especially now that their civil war is over, we'll be facing the wrath of their entire army against us."

"He'll have no choice," Theodoric Strabo answered, "He can't send anyone to the west to act as a witness. We'll be the only word he received."

Fanum Fortunae, Western Roman Empire Narius sat quietly on his horse outside a villa on the outskirts of Fanum Fortunae. The villa specifically and the town in general had become a stronghold for the Heruli for the past several years. His army had passed several scattered Roman settlements along their march north who had been eager to provide Narius with the information about the actions of the various Germanic tribes that were trying to settle on the Italian peninsula.

The campaign had so far gone fairly well. There were a few particularly brave hold outs who felt that either Odoacer or Orestes was the rightful ruler, but they and their personal retainers couldn't resist a trained army, and Narius had gathered their wealth into a baggage train of goods to be sent to Constantinople at the end of the campaign. There were others who showed loyalty to their local chieftains and tribal noblemen that he had to deal with, which, since he could not know if those chieftains were loyal to Rome, Ravenna, or Odoacer at the moment, that meant enslavement and carrying the money that Narius had 'collected' to pay for the Greek provinces.

The strangest incidents he had encountered were fair numbers of peasant tribesman volunteering to serve him. He didn't like the idea of hiring German mercenaries, but he would need the men to scout ahead and locate where the other German settlements were. He settled on hiring them as auxiliaries to scout for the Roman army and to begin the general education that Rome was something more important then a specific tribe, although he didn't know how well that would work, but considering the time, there wasn't that much that he could do. He needed the troops.

Narius then looked up to see two men carrying out a large crate with a few others following them. They set the crate down at the feet of Narius's horse and saluted. Narius watched in the background as other soldiers began to set fire to the villa.

"How much did you find?" Narius asked.

"Several thousand gold pieces, Sire," one of the two soldiers answered, "And some other fine cutlery."

"And that is in the crate?" Narius asked.

"Yes, Sire," the second soldier answered.

"You did not take anything for yourselves?" Narius questioned.

"No, Sire," the first soldier answered fairly fearfully.

"Good," Narius answered and then turned to Illus, "You have another chest of money to pay for Greece."

Illus nodded, "I will need to count it later, but you may place it with the rest of the baggage for now."

Narius nodded and turned to two German slaves standing under guard, both of whom were male. He then pointed to the crate that his soldiers had carried out.

"Carry that back to the baggage train," Narius instructed.

The slaves then struggled forward as the soldiers guarding them moved them forward. They lifted up the chest and began to carry it back toward the main columns of Narius's army.

"I must say, you never cease to amaze me, Narius," Illus spoke from his horse, "You've managed to do something I haven't even seen be done in the East."

"And what is that?" Narius asked, curious about the Eastern Roman general's comment.

"Your own personal leadership in the field," Illus commented, "The farther north we've come, the more fearful the tribesmen settled in these regions have become and the strength of the loyalty of men who serve you seems to get stronger."

"It is nothing major," Narius answered, "I try to teach them that there are things larger then their individual tribes, that Rome and its legacy is far more important then their own personal wants and desires. I also try to teach them that service to Rome will bring about a greater reward then trying to conquer it would."

"Yes, but you use a great deal of history that I do not even know of," Illus commented, "Or at least was not educated on."

"You were probably educated heavily on Greek sources," Narius commented, "Plutarch and such. While my family has had access to a large sum of historical knowledge, very little of it is Greek, and unfortunately I can not read Greek."

"Your family must still have been wealthy to afford this library of historical knowledge," Illus commented.

"Not entirely," Narius answered, "My family does come from the nobility, but we were never in its upper echelons. My father served as an officer in the army under the Emperor Placidius Valentinanus, but he had always remained a junior officer and he left when Libius Severus took the Imperial Throne. Severus later had him executed for failing to serve him. My mother and I managed to survive on what little funds we had. My education with things such as Tacitus, Livy, Seutonius were only possible because since my family is of the nobility we had copies at home that were generations old. I educated myself, really, by reading these texts over and over in my spare time."

Narius then sighed and continued, "By the time of Anicius Olybrius's reign, I was drafted to serve as officer in his army. Like my father, I was kept as a junior officer, but unlike him, my studying of classical Roman literature made me rather anti-German and as the Burgundians seemed to dominate much of the affairs of the Imperial Court at the time, I was going against the grain. But, I managed to survive until Julius Nepos became Emperor and put an end to their manipulations of the Court. He noticed my sentiment and made me a general, but as I had served under two Burgundian influenced Caesars, I still was not trusted. I wasn't even given a real command until Orestes usurped Nepos's power and placed his son on the throne."

"And from there, you've made your own claim to it," Illus finished.

"Only after Nepos was murdered," Narius answered.

"What happened to your mother?" Illus asked.

"She died of plague shortly after I was commanded to enter the army," Narius answered with a sigh, "I do not know if I have any other family, I would assume that I do not as my parents never told me."

"Well, if they loved Rome and its traditions as much as you apparently do, I'm sure they would be proud," Illus commented, "I know that the Eastern Roman Empire will appreciate having a revitalized Western Roman Empire."

"I am well aware that Zeno desires a buffer state between him and the barbarians to the west," Narius answered, "Just as he is aware that I will require a lot of help to get everything running."

Illus didn't answer as a rider came up toward them. The rider saluted Narius before beginning his report.

"Sire, General Urses wishes to report that he has taken Fanum Fortunae," the rider reported, "You may begin your entrance into the city."

"Very good," Narius answered.

"General Urses also wishes to report that his cavalry scouts have returned and wishes to report something to you personally," the rider answered.

"Very well," Narius answered, "Inform him that I will be arriving with the rest of the army shortly."

Ten minutes later, Narius at the head of the second of his two legions rode toward the central part of the city. Illus and Flavius Sextus rode quietly behind him. They found Urses seated on his horse outside the gates to the town's forum.

"What is the situation, General?" Narius asked as he rode up.

"There weren't many in the city itself, sire," Urses answered, "Most of whom were old peasant women hoping for some form of help form somebody. I didn't think they could do anything so I let them be."

"Most of the nobles and younger men of all nationalities have been moving to the countryside," Narius answered, "There is no surprise there."

Urses nodded, "I would also like to report that the cavalry unit that I sent to the north to find either Odoacer or Orestes has returned, Sire."

"Did they find them?" Narius asked.

"They found where Orestes is camped," Urses answered, "He has apparently fled to Genua and has been trying to reorganize his army there."

"Reorganize?" Narius asked.

"Yes," Urses nodded, "that is where the second part of my report comes in."

Urses then gestured behind him for someone to come forward. Narius then blinked in surprise as a few men in Roman armor and uniforms, although largely wearing the insignia of Orestes came up and stood beside Urses's horse.

"Who are these people?" Narius questioned.

"They are soldiers of one of Orestes's two legions," Urses answered, "Who apparently live around Fanum Fortunae."

"Why are they here?" Narius demanded.

"If we may speak, Caesar Narius, we are here to come home," one of the prisoners said, "Your General's cavalry captured us as we got to the gates."

"But why are you not with Orestes?" Narius asked specifically toward the prisoners.

"Because Orestes has already lost to Odoacer and we do not wish to be killed with him," the prisoner who had spoken earlier answered.

Narius turned to Urses with a rather confused look on his face.

"From what they told me, Orestes made some sort of pact with the Burgundians in order to get the raw troops needed to fight Odoacer," Urses answered, "They then challenged Odoacer outside of Mediolanum. Odoacer won the battle and Orestes's army was shattered and the Burgundians fled back to their kingdom."

"Do they know of Odoacer's movements?" Narius asked.

"No, Sire," Urses answered, "At least not enough to know what Odoacer is doing now."

"Do you still serve Orestes?" Narius asked the men.

"We do not wish to serve anyone," the prisoner answered, "We wish to return home and not to be hunted."

"Will you agree to recognize me as Caesar and respect whatever decisions I make?" Narius questioned.

"Anything, if you let us go home," the prisoner answered.

"Remove your armor and weapons," Narius commanded, "You may keep your tunics, pants, and shoes, but the chain mail, swords and daggers are to be donated to my forces. Then you may go home."

The group of men eagerly threw down their weapons and armor and ran off.

"That was rather merciful of you, Sire," Urses commented, "Considering they were soldiers of one of your enemies."

"They were servants and probably low on the chain of command," Narius answered, "And they did not wish to keep fighting. They are no threat. Plus, a little act of mercy here and there will show that those who are executed by my command deserved the punishment."

Ravenna Senator Ran paced quietly inside the throne room of Orestes's palace. Orestes's appointed regent was rather nervous. Several soldiers had come limping into Ravenna speaking of Odoacer's victory at Mediolanum and he did not know of the fate of Orestes himself or where Odoacer was now. On top of this, there was unrest over the remaining areas on the Italian peninsula that had been in Orestes's possession. People, mostly barbarians who had settled within the Empire, although a few Romans who were loyal to Orestes were among them were fleeing north or at least into Ravenna, pleading for shelter. All that Senator Ran had been able to find out from these people was that the General Narius was advancing north, directly for Ravenna, and was making war upon all the Germanic peoples he came across.

This frightened Senator Ran. His family's tradition villa and lands were around Bononia and had been heavily dependant on cooperating with the Germanic peoples. Many of them had actually volunteered to guard his family residence from those that might threaten if for a set fee, which Ran was extremely willing to pay. It was partially why he had been so fearful when Narius claimed to be the new 'Caesar' in Rome. His strong opinions that Germans were 'conquering' the Empire, were bound to put him at odds with Ran and his family.

He prayed that Orestes would be able to repair the situation in the north and put things right between himself and Odoacer, or to at least defeat Odoacer before Narius could reach Ravenna. In the meantime he had to make sure that Ravenna could defend itself for the time being, as with Odoacer in he north and Narius to the south, the few city guards that Orestes had left could not withstand an assault, and if Narius was waging war on the countryside as he marched, there was little chance that Ravenna could survive a lengthy siege.

"You sent for me, Regent?" a bearded man spoke as he approached from the room's main entrance.

"Yes," Senator Ran answered, "You are in charge of Ravenna's guard?"

"I am, why do you send for me?" the bearded man asked.

"I'm sure you're aware of what has happened at Mediolanum?" Senator Ran asked and waited for the man to nod before continuing, "Are you also aware of Narius's march north?"

"I have heard rumors that he is marching northward," the bearded man answered, "Perhaps he will run into Odoacer and your problem will be solved and they will destroy each other."

"I highly doubt that," Senator Ran sighed, "Narius is a junior general as far as Odoacer is concerned. If they weren't both claiming the throne, Odoacer would be Narius's superior officer. Odoacer is likely to insure that Orestes is dealt with before he does anything concerning Narius, and there has been no conformation that Orestes is dead."

"What do you wish that I do then?" the bearded man asked.

"I wish you to organize the soldiers that come here from Mediolanum and those of the refugees that can fight and mix them in with the city guard," Senator Ran answered, "And prepare them to repel an assault by Narius's legions."

"And if Odoacer attacks us first?" the bearded man asked.

"Repel his attack as well," Senator Ran ordered, "Your loyalties should lie with Orestes."

"Of course, sir," the bearded man answered.

The man then left Senator Ran's presence and walked slowly to a different part of the palace. It wasn't much more then a modest apartment along the outer walls, but it was all the man had been given. He did not bother to return to his work for the moment, as he had already been trying to strengthen the city guard and militia, although not for the same reasons that Senator Ran had commanded him to.

"There has been glorious news, fetch me some wine!" the man spoke as he entered his apartment.

"You've been playing politics again," came an agitated voice from one section of the apartment.

The man ignored it as he sat down at a small table while the woman, who had spoken brought him a cup and a pitcher. Inside the pitcher was wine.

"It is not play, woman," the man answered, "I have been given a glorious task to perform. The Regent has trusted me with securing Ravenna and preparing its defenses. When Odoacer arrives, I will give him the city for glory of our tribe."

"And when do you suppose your glorious chieftain will arrive?" the woman answered back, "And remember that I am a Roman."

"Odoacer will not mind, as you are my wife," the man answered, "Part of the Scirian tribe by marriage and a minor noble by marriage at that."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.