A Cloud Over Brenham - Cover

A Cloud Over Brenham

Copyright© 2008 by Wandering Lanes

Chapter 9: Saul Searching

I wasn't sure where I was. I had concentrated on Saul as I started the spell and so he should be here, where-ever here was?

I looked around. This had been a village, but now it was burnt out. There were no bodies, but splashes of blood could still be seen as dark brown stains on the grounds. Just what had happened here?

"Who's there? Why have you come here?" A voice called out from the remains of a house.

"My name is John. I'm a ... traveller. What happened here?" I answered, keeping away from the house but in full view of whoever was inside and trying not to look aggressive.

An old man limped out from the house. "It was a few weeks ago. The squire and his son were away hunting, and the big man was supposed to be at the gate guarding it ... but he was visiting his lover when the bandits came. They pulled everyone out of their houses and into the village square, they told us that they were in charge, and we had to move. Of course people started to complain, but they were dealt with by the use of the flat of swords and whips, then they used the points of swords on those who wouldn't move. They killed my sons. I've lost my daughters and me." He was now in the full sunlight, a scar was over his eyes where a sword had injured him. He was blind.

"Can I come to you?" I asked him.

"Why not? There is nothing you can do, but if I ever get my hands on that bastard Saul! He should have been here to help us, but he though too much of his pleasure." the man said.

"Who was Saul?" I asked, although I now had an inkling of the man.

"He was the squire's head man, he was supposed to be protecting us from bandits, but since we've had peace for some time he thought it was alright for him to dally ... see what he allowed to happen." He blindly indicated the surroundings.

"What happened to them?" I asked.

The man shook his head, "I donno, I tried to protest and then they attacked me, brought whips to my face and kept on going until I couldn't resist anymore, then they laughed and went away."

"What happened to Saul?" I asked.

The man gave a snort. "I cursed his name for many hours ... and then a voice said 'so be it, ' and that was the last I heard. When I awoke, I was blind. I haven't seen a thing since.

I placed a hand over the man's eyes, and he pulled away. "Hey what are you doing?"

"Just trying to find out how bad your eyes are," I said.

"Boss, I've scanned him, the nerves are all right, it's just the retinas that need attention." Al replied as his sensors had been working away.

I addressed the man. "Relax, and close your eyes." I said.

He gave a small laugh. "Close them, he says, as if that's going to make a difference." But he did as I asked.

Again I placed my hands on his eyes and concentrated. "Revitar," I intoned, feeling the power passing through me and into his face.

He gave a scream and fell back onto the ground. I quickly held him as I felt more energy going into him from me, small wounds and injuries being repaired. Once he was steady, I went to my pouch and brought out some food, the last I had with me, and made him eat it.

He opened his eyes with a start and then stared at me, "I can see again ... what did you do to me?" he demanded. The scar over his face had now faded away with the mending of his body.

"I gave you some energy to help you heal, that's all, but you need to eat more to replace it," I said knowing a full explanation was beyond him (as I didn't understand it either).

"Who are you?" the man asked, looking at me fearfully.

I gave a quick smile. "Just a friend. Now if you're alright at the moment, I have someone to catch." I concentrated on Saul again, trying to find where he might be.

"But why did you come here to this god-forsaken place?" The man was now looking around the ruins of his village.

"Because a god is watching this land and wanted me to find out about this." A thought struck me. "Did the bandits say where they we taking the villagers?"

The man shook his head. "Nay, they just took them and left me behind, as a warning I suppose."

"Warning?" I cocked my head trying to understand what he meant.

"Yeah, mess with us and this happens to you," he said, but I could see him looking around again.

"What are you searching for?"

"I had a pitchfork around here. I might have a need for it should I find them again. I'll prove to them that I'm not to be left lying around." He had a determined look on his face.

I wanted to tell him that revenge wasn't worth it, but realised it would be a wasted effort, and so I returned to concentrating on Saul. "Travelatus."


I had a sensation of only travelling a short distance and I was back in a charnel house, or at least a butchers shop, with bit of bones and flesh scattered around.

I found clothing for two people, high class from what I could tell, but these were now scattered around as if ripped away from their owners.

I approached a tree where ropes had been wrapped around two bodies. I couldn't see who they were, as the animals had stripped the flesh from the corpses ... I was sure I'd found the bodies of the Squire and his son. Why they hadn't been escorted by troops I've no idea. I went to cut the ropes but a wail stopped me.

"Beware lest you face the same, Stranger." A woman staggered out towards me. I could feel power coming from her.

"Who are you?" I asked, feeling a sense of dread building inside me.

"I'm the one who's been assigned by Gregor to stop anyone from helping these two." She indicated the corpses. She moved her hands and the bodies began to move.

"No, please no more, release us. By the Supreme One, release us." The older man begged. She gave a nasty laugh.

"I have the power over them and have held their souls within their rotting bodies. I could do the same to you; and you're already feeling my power," she said, smiling.

It was true; I could feel that she would be able to overcome any action I could take against her; it was as if my whole being was scared of her. She was too much for me and could make me...

I stopped myself. Why did I feel like this?

"You are completely under my spell, foolish one; you listened to me and gave me time to weave my spell." The woman, witch rather, said and I could tell this was true.

But from somewhere I could feel a revolt was taking place against my feelings, a small voice was telling me not to listen to her as that would only help her spell. I could feel the spell was doing something ... something ... but what?

I opened my eyes. When had I closed them? And I could see the witch coming closer, she was whispering something. I couldn't hear what, but my eyes started to droop again.

"Al ... al," was all I could manage to say before my eyes closed completely.

I felt my arm start to move and grasp hold of something which I drew out and brought round in a wide sweep. It struck something, and then I could feel power coming through my arm, coursing through my body, bringing me awake.

The witch lay before me; Twilight had pierced her body and then pinned it to the ground. She looked at me, "How? ... You were under my control ... you couldn't have fought back." She grimaced as Twilight drank deeply of her soul, draining it out of her to leave a lifeless husk.

As I watched her die I could feel her power being removed from me, eradicating whatever it was she had done to me. "What happened?" I said aloud.

"Sorry about that, Boss, but when you called me I was only able to activate on your sword arm, it seemed the best thing to do, and she was the immediate threat," Al said in my ear.

"That's fine, Al. You did everything I could have done. I just don't understand how she was able to bespell me like that."

"I know not how you defeated Mad Maggie; she was a witch of high power." The shade of the squire was now standing before me, dressed in the clothing that I could still see strewn around.

"I'm glad I was able to fight her, I'm sorry I was unable to help you and your son." I said seeing the surprise on the shades face.

"How could you know? We've been that thing's play-toys for weeks, ever since she and that bastard raider trapped us and showed that our guards were his men. He bragged that all those villages under my control were now his, and he would make my people work for him. I tried to fight him, but I couldn't even reach my weapons; she was too powerful for me. They tied us against that tree and started using us for targets with their bows. She kept us alive, or rather, not dead. I thank you for your release and beg that you find my people and return them. My right hand man Saul would be of aid ... help them..." The shade repeated and then faded away as it seemed to rise into the air, a smaller shade beside it.

I felt another tug inside of me and went to concentrate, and then stopped. "No. I'm not a puppet to be dragged around by strings. Who are you?" I said

'Not yet, my champion; you still have work to do.' The words came into my mind.

'Gaea? What are you up to now?' I thought back to her but received no reply except that my mouth opened and I said the now-familiar "Travelatus."


I was in the middle of a forest. For some reason, I crouched down into the undergrowth. I still don't know what it was that alerted me, but then I heard footsteps approaching, followed by voices.

"Donno what he's worried about. That tame witch would sort anyone out. They won't come looking for them here," one rough said.

"Yeah, but since that brat found us, he's been twitchy, thinks someone will be after the kid," the second volunteered.

"I still say there's something strange about that horse he rode in; it was more of a charger than a farmer's nag. Anyway, it gives us more mouths to feed. Why he can't put some of them people to do the work instead of us?"

"Don't be daft. The boss don't want them armed, it might give them ideas. It was enough that they've started building the new village for us. It's only the threat of killing the women and children that keeps them in line."

The pair of bandits walked past my hiding place without seeing me; Al had worked his magic by creating a camouflage cover for me. I debated whether to attack the two men and find out more, but felt a mental tug in the direction they had come from. I did need help, though.

"Wee Folk, I ask thee for aid," I called out softly.

Instantly, I was surrounded by elves, who looked at me warily, "And why should we help the likes of you? It's your kind that's felling trees and ruining the forest with your metal tools," a larger elf challenged.

Al cleared the camouflage, and my face was revealed. "I, John, friend of Bran and of the forest, do ask," I said.

The elf considered my words and then nodded, "Aye, thou does have the countenance of that one." He reached out and touched my forehead and then bowed down in fear, "The Lady? My Lord John, what can we do to help?" he said, bringing himself to an upright position.

"I need to know what is happening in the bandit camp. They raided at least one village and brought the people here. I don't know for what reason, but from what you're saying and from those two yonder, it seems they are building a new village in this forest. If you can divert them from returning, that would be two less to deal with," I suggested.

The elf smiled. "Aye, we can lead them on a merry chase." He directed five of his elves to deal with the men, who started chasing something unseen. "They hunt a stag that has just shown itself to them," the elf said.

I knew what mischief the elves could get up to and nodded. "Thank you, Sir Elf. If I may enquire as to your name?" I could see him look at me warily and I realised what I had said. I quickly corrected myself. "Your pardon, I did not mean your real name, just that one you offer."

The elf looked relieved. "I be known by others as Merryweather, Lord John."

I nodded. "Then I thank you, Merryweather, you and yours alike. I do apologise for my misplaced words; I've no wish of controlling others by using their names, I had forgotten that part of the lore."

"'Tis of no concern, Lord John. Although I must confess that I was flashed that thee might try, for all the good it would do." He said with a laugh and then he was serious again.

"Those men arrived in the forest a month ago. They made a camp and spread spells that stopped us from entering. They had a witch with them who cast the spells. Then they built tents and made fire, clearing a circle of ground," he said.

"How many men, how are they armed?" I quickly asked.

"About forty of them including the witch, swords, and bows, although the head man carried a strange weapon that fired bolts of lightning," Merryweather said, regarding me carefully.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.