A Cloud Over Brenham - Cover

A Cloud Over Brenham

Copyright© 2008 by Wandering Lanes

Chapter 7: Meeting The Abbot

I have to admit I was troubled. I don't normally receive visions but the impression I had of my son killing a priest stayed with me, but as I thought about what I'd seen, I realised that there was something different with him.

It had been a blur, but his face was ... green? How could that be, unless... ?

"Gaea? Are you with me?" I said softly.

A melodious laugh became apparent to me and I saw Gaea in my mind. "It seems that the fates have decided to interfere with King Harold. Isn't it fun?" She said.

I sighed, "So what has happened to him?"

"Well, you see, when you use potions, you have to ensure that no extra ingredients are added, or the results are not what you expect. In this case some leaves from a Macratalis plant was included in a headache cure. What happens is that a temporary change of colour is experienced along with non-lethal skin eruptions," Gaea said, and I could feel the laugher in her voice.

"But what has that done to him? He wasn't normally a killer. Why did he kill the priest?" I asked, concerned.

"He didn't harm the man," Gaea said impassively.

"Didn't harm him? But I saw him get stabbed several times," I pointed out.

"It was true that your son held a knife and pushed it into Brother Charles several times, but it was a prop from a play that had been performed some time ago. For some reason it ended up in Harold's chamber. Brother Charles is safe and has been removed by Bran to meet up with Father George. I believe there was rejoicing by both." Gaea gave a wave of warmth in her voice.

But I shook my head. "It doesn't matter; as far as Harold's concerned, he is now a killer. It may be enough to drive him to do something rash. I need to catch up with Genius, Saul, and Thomas."

"Don't worry; you are there," Gaea said, and indeed I had moved from the town to a clearing in the woods. Approaching me was the wagon being steered by Genius.

"Lord John? How came you here?" Genius called out.

I smiled, "A passing wind picked me up and brought me here. Now we must continue to Larkin with all speed." I jumped into the wagon and Saul began to run.


We approached a large building with stout walls and a single gate, a bell was situated beside the gate and I rang it.

"Ho there by the gate, who be you?" A Brother called from the wall.

"Friends. I seek to see the Abbot and I ask for lodgings for those with me." I called back. I could see the head of the Brother as he considered my words; he looked around to ensure that there was no-one else nearby.

"Enter friend and be at peace." He called back and the gate swung open. We moved inside and the gate quickly closed behind us. There were four Brothers waiting for us I opened my cloak and removed Twilight (still in its sheath) and handed it to one of them

"Careful with that blade and my colleagues are not armed."

The man to whom I'd entrusted Twilight bowed, "Thank you milord, these brothers will escort your party to the stables and then the women will be taken to the Nun's section.

Thomas gave a gasp, "You know what I am?" She asked.

The Brother smiled, "Yes, child. We know all things that are hidden but your secret will be kept safe; children are normally kept with the Nuns until they are twelve of age. Now milord if you will please come this way to the Abbot?" He indicated a direction which I followed.

"We were warned of your approach milord and the Abbot said that as soon as you arrived you should be brought before him ... it is a great honour he gives you." The Brother said gravely.

"I am aware of this Brother... ?" I asked his name

"I am Brother Athos Ambassador John. I am the Abbot's eyes and ears." Athos said proudly as he walked along the corridor.

"A very responsible position Brother Athos, and where is Porthos and Aramis?" I asked with a smile.

But Athos frowned, "I have no siblings of that name, be they with another order?" He asked puzzled.

I sighed, "It could be that. Now Brother, on to the Abbot." I said.


We came to a large ornate door on which Athos knocked. "Enter Athos and Lord John. And be welcomed." The Abbots voice was familiar to me and I smiled as I entered.

Athos bowed and put Twilight down on the table near the Abbot. "The sword that Lord John carried Lord Abbot." He said

The Abbot nodded, "Thank you Brother Athos, you may leave us to talk." Athos looked at me as if daring me to do anything to hurt the Abbot, bowed again and then left the room, closing the doors behind him.

"Please be seated Lord John." The Abbot indicated a chair nearby, "or do you prefer Ambassador John, I understand you're not happy about regal names." The Abbot was an android in the Welby mould of androids.

"I'm not, but I don't like the Ambassador title either, I'm just John. But why are you in the role of Abbot?" I asked surprised. "I would have thought that the Supreme One would have objected?"

The Abbot laughed, "There is a history that tells of an android meeting with a priest who had been injured, and so the android took over the mantle of the priest, studied the holy books and began preaching to his flock. He took a pilgrimage to the Monastery here and confessed to the Abbot. After some time he was accepted by the Abbot into the Brotherhood and elevated to the highest post, just below that of the Abbot.

"During a service the Abbot became ill and so it fell on that android to take over the service, and he had such a zest while doing this that the Supreme One himself appeared to the congregation and smiled at the priest who became Abbot at that point. Ever since then his memory has been downloaded into that of a newer android and the Abbot has continued — unchanged — since that time, even Athos outside the door there has no idea that he is also an android, when it's my time to pass on then he will take up the role, and so it goes.

"But tell me Ambassador what do you require of me?" The Abbot finished and looked at me expectantly.

I had been shaken by his candour and was trying to wrap my head around the story, "Excuse me, you mean to say that you have the memories of the first android Abbot?" I asked

The Abbot laughed, "Of course, his and the ones who took his place, every year I take a service to honour the first Abbot and during that time the Supreme One makes himself felt, should he want me to step down then I will do so, knowing that my service to the Church has been followed as it should have been."

"I see," I lied as I didn't, "well then Milord Abbot I have interfered with the role of the Church, I've clothed myself as a Bishop in this church and ordered that King Harold would come here in two days time to answer for his actions."

The Abbot frowned, "I see, that does cause problems for us Ambassador, It was the intention that the Church should always be separate from the State, it is not up to us to guide the crowns in their directions only to look after the souls of the people of the land."

I nodded, "Indeed, but shouldn't the king also be acting on behalf of his people, he should listen to the church's advice for the good of the people and then concentrate on the task of being a king."

The Abbot laughed, "As you did? I remember a time when you were against an idea that the Church was trying to impress."

I was now laughing, "But what was that? The church was trying to make the king more than a man? A king should have humility in his work, on my world there was a mighty general who was entering into Rome, beside him was a slave who would whisper into his ear 'remember you too are human'. That should be the role of the church to remind the king that all men are human." I pointed out.

"Which is what you told the Priest there, his words were passed onto this Monastery and acted on. I must say the Abbot then was most impressed with your attitude."

"Thank you Milord Abbot, for then and now." I said

"Well then he and I receive your thanks. Now what are your plans for dealing with your son?" The Abbot asked getting serious now.

I shook my head, "I was going to talk to him, to try and show him the errors of his ways. However..." I stopped and looked down.

The Abbot regarded me, "However?" He prompted.

"However I had a vision while on the way here, Harold had attacked a priest in his room, and he believes he'd killed that man. I'm told the priest is perfectly alright and is with Father George at the moment."

The Abbot's face cleared, "Ah, we did wonder what had happened to Piet, which is why we sent Brother Charles to check on him, but you said that King Harold now thinks he's killed him? This is bad. He might think that he is above all rules. He's either not going to show, or turn up with a band of troops ready to take over this Monastery."

I held up my hands, "That was not my intention Milord Abbot."

The Abbot smiled, "I know that Ambassador, but it does mean that certain steps will have to be taken, although the brothers are peaceful there are those who look after the security of this Monastery, I will make them aware of this problem," At my look he held up a hand, "they will be there to disarm, not injure, those who would attack us, many of them are like your companion." He picked up a small hammer and struck a gong.

Before the sound had stopped reverberating in the room the door was opened and Athos was framed in the opening. "Yes Milord Abbot?" He asked.

"We are expecting the King of Brenham to arrive with a retinue of men; he's to meet up with Lord John here. His men are required to remain in the Brother's quarters until he is ready to leave. Will you make the arrangements?" The Abbot asked.

Athos bowed, "Certainly Lord Abbot. And should they object to this?"

"Then they will have to be disappointed. Ensure that their objections are listened to and then carry out my instructions." The Abbot said evenly.

Athos nodded, "I understand Lord Abbot." And then he left.

"Now Ambassador, tell me about your life in the other worlds?" The Abbot asked and so I told him of how I returned to my home world with my wife, and how there we've raised two more children, receiving word of the other worlds on the spaceship, stopping only when food was brought in for us.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.