A Cloud Over Brenham - Cover

A Cloud Over Brenham

Copyright© 2008 by Wandering Lanes

Chapter 4: Lake Town Altercation

At Morgan's words, I stiffened. There was something in the air, an indefinable change. I drew Twilight and held it lightly.

'Demons approach. I can feel them.' Twilight said into my mind

I told Thomas to stay with Morgan as I activated Al. "I need a heads-up display. Show all unknown entities, visible or invisible." I directed him

"You've got it, Boss. Two detected approaching fast ... Hey, there's something wrong with these — I can't see any connecting link with them," Al reported, and in the visor I could see what he meant. These were Dark Wraiths approaching. Normally, they were created by a black wizard who was connected to his summoning by a mental link, but this was missing.

"They are free spirits, uncaged by others. These seek my powers and will kill me to get them. You have to stop them," Morgan said from beside the fire. She was still adding ingredients to whatever it was she was creating.

I looked to where Thomas was standing. She was looking around as if she was able to see the approaching. "Keep back, Thomas. These things can hurt you," I told her as I began weaving Twilight in my hand, making a pattern of steel.

"Yes, John, I can feel them. They are searching for Morgan; they need her to join them in their abode," Thomas said, her eyes slightly glazed. Then they cleared. "They shall not have her."

I didn't notice her tone of voice, as the first Dark Wraith had appeared through the wall. "We find you at last, Witch. Be prepared to suffer as we feast on your power." The Wraith's attention was solely on Morgan, giving me the opportunity I needed.

I brought Twilight around and sliced off a part of the Wraith's "body." It gave a snarl. "So your protectors have teeth. No matter; we have fought similar before." It turned to me. "Well, mortal man, ready to meet your death?"

I smiled. "You're not the first Dark Wraith I've met before ... and you certainly won't be the last." I felt the power that Twilight had drunk from the Wraith filling me.

'More, Master. I want more," Twilight moaned, and the Wraith studied the blade closely.

"You have a soul blade ... but there is only one -" It began but then it was soaring away from me as Twilight moved of its own volition to slice again at it, entering it and making a jagged split in the side of the wraith.

While I was concentrating on that one, the other was approaching Morgan and almost touched her.

"Somno Dablous Tia."

I heard the words, and a bright light surrounded the second wraith, making it scream out as its life was removed, but I hadn't said them.

The first wraith seemed to double his effort, but then Twilight was there, digging into it and draining it of its life-force. The wraith began begging for me to remove the blade, promising that it would serve me in whatever way I wanted.

"I have no need of your type. You have made others suffer, and so you will die," I said, feeling no pity as the wraith expired before my eyes.

"L ... Lord John." a weak voice from Thomas drew me to where she was lying on the ground, her face white and tears in her eyes. I thought at first she had been struck by the other wraith, but I couldn't find any wounds.

"Let her touch the blade. Allow the power to enter her," Morgan said without looking up. I put the hilt of Twilight into Thomas's hands and could almost see the power flowing into her. The colour returned to her cheeks, and she sat up.

"I could hear a voice speaking; it was strange and seemed to come from this sword," she said, holding Twilight as if it was light in her hands.

"What did it say?" I asked her.

"I was a good person and it wanted me to have a share of its life ... is this sword alive then?" she asked me.

"In a way. I will tell you about it later. How do you feel now?" I countered, feeling concerned for her now. Why didn't I have her taken from the house rather than allowing her to remain in danger with me? I wondered.

"Better, but after I said those words I felt so ... drained ... tired ... I don't know ... and I couldn't even stand, but now..." she almost jumped to her feet.

I held onto her, gently taking Twilight from her hands. "Slowly. Let the power settle first; it can be overwhelming when you're not ready for it." Then a thought struck me, "You were the one who killed the other wraith?" I made it a question.

Thomas shook her head, "I ... I suppose so. I was so scared, but then I could see the words and I knew I had to say them, so I pointed to that dark shape and just said them. After that, I felt so weak that I couldn't stand."

Morgan stood up from her pot with a small vial in her hands, "It was lucky that Thomas is a wizard in her own right, but to cast such a spell at her age was almost too much for her. She shouldn't try such spells without training." She glared at me angrily.

"I'm not a wizard. I don't know what I am but I'm not a -" Thomas protested.

"Hush, child. You may deny your status, but you can't hide it from me. You are a wizard; it must run in your family." Morgan went to the young woman lying on the bed and raising the form up, she poured some of the mixture into the woman's mouth, rubbing her neck to make her swallow. The patient let out a few coughs, but then she settled down again.

Morgan smiled and nodded. "That will help her gain some body. Now, Lord John, if you will touch her with your sword and will some power into her, I know it's not full but she needs what it can give her."

"Well, Twilight, are you willing to give up some of your power?" I asked the blade.

'If that is what you order, Master, but can we find some evil soon so that I can feed again?' the blade replied.

"That isn't up to me, but we'll find out. Now ... Twilight, I ask you to pour power into this woman." I touched her with Twilight's blade and again could see the force flowing from the blade into the injured form.

"Now, Lord John, use your power," Morgan directed me

I touched the woman with my hand and concentrated, "Revitar."

The woman arched her back as her body began to heal, the worst of the injuries being treated first. I could feel bones settling back into position and healing. Her ragged breathing settled into a more relaxed rhythm, as she no longer was dealing with the pain.

"That is enough for now. The priest can return." Morgan said, adding more of the potion to the vial she had in her hand.

Thomas went outside and called. Soon Father Clew was with us again.

"There is nothing more I can do for her, Father. She will recover now and be whole, but I wouldst charge that you find her a suitable person to remain with," Morgan instructed as she packed away her goods.

"I know just the person; she knows her trade and is respected by all, although I find her rather abrasive and insolent," Patrick said, and I could see a gleam in his eye as he said that.

"Really? Well, if you think she would be suitable. The girl is strong when she's well and is honest. I know she had chances to rob her neighbours, which is what her man wanted her to do, but didn't take them. Who is this poor person you would place her on?"

"You, of course, Morgan; you need a student to take over your trade. Who would be better than one who has benefited from you? I charge you to take her in and teach her," Patrick said simply.

Morgan's face was a picture, shock and surprise fighting with indignation. "ME? Why would I take such a one as her into my house? She needs someone who would look after her, not make her work," she said angrily, "and you also have spoken against me in several cases." She arched her eyebrows at Patrick.

He laughed. "And you always won those cases. Morgan, I am in a religion that looks down on witches such as you, but I know that you are a good person, and I know you will come if I ever have to call on anyone, regardless of how you feel about me. I trust you and respect you. So as a friend I would ask this of you." His honesty was so apparent that Morgan had to agree with him.

I spoke up now. "Father Clew. Morgan of the Lakes. Will you pledge friendship to each other, knowing that your views are not the same but the intention is? Wouldst you clasp hands in friendship?"

Patrick smiled and held out his hand. Morgan looked at me and then nodded. She extended her own hand, and I covered their hands with mine. "May this friendship endure," I intoned, and there was a flash that seemed to extend from our hands.

Patrick shook his head. "What was that? I've never felt it before."

Morgan's voice was faint. "I have. It's a sign of truth. Only those truly in accord with themselves and others will see this." She looked into Patrick's eyes as if seeing him for the first time. "I think we will find more about this." She glanced at me and then added, "later though, not now."

"Lord John, you need to come outside," Thomas called from the doorway.

As we got to the door, it was obvious that something was happening. "Father, I think you're going to be needed," I said, and then looked down at Thomas, "But I want you to remain with Morgan until I come back."

"But I don't want to stay here. Can't I go to Genius instead?" Thomas protested.

I shook my head, "No, I need her help with me."

Thomas pouted, but then nodded her head. I watched her re-enter the house and then I turned to Father Clew. "Patrick, I think that King Harold is making an attempt to take over the new portal. Can you back me up?" I asked.

He frowned. "My son ... I mean, Your Lordship, you know that as a priest I am unable to take up arms."

I smiled. "It's nothing like that. I just need your duties as a priest," I said, and then with a word to Al, my clothing changed to that of a visiting bishop of the Church. "Now, my son, shall we see what these emissaries of Brenham do about an official order from their Bishop?"

"But, My Lord, even as a bishop you have no need to interfere in these matters," Patrick pointed out.

"True, but then as a representative of the official church to an erring son, they should listen to me."

"No, My Lord; your son didn't listen to you when you were looking after him. Why should his men?" Patrick pointed out.

This time I laughed. "That, Father, is the whole point; they will learn ... they will learn." I repeated myself to emphasise my words.

Patrick looked at me quizzically, but I wouldn't tell him anything else.

"Al, call Genius, I need her to be dressed as an acolyte of the Church," I said quietly.

"You've got it, Boss ... She wants to know why." Al reported.

"Just get her to the portal site here, and she'll find out," I said. Then I marched off to face this new danger.


A group of armed men stood at the portal. They had tabards which proclaimed them as men of the Brenham army, and their leader was reading from a scroll.

"Be it known that as is his right, the true king of this world had declared this portal to be out of bounds to all travellers until such time that he decides is right," he said.

"And why, pray, are you intruding on my lands?" a man had arrived with his men. The two groups faced each other, Brenham's men standing before the portal.

"Who's that?" I whispered to Patrick.

"That is Mandrake of the Lakes. He is the Duke of Lake Town," Patrick whispered back.

"We are here at the orders of the king. This area of Lake Town is now considered as part of his personal holdings, and to that end, we are to protect it. Be warned — we have the power of the King and the Supreme One to prevent any from attacking us," The leader said, holding a small object in his hands. I recognised it as a portable shield generator, large enough for about 100 square metres in area.

"Al, identify that generator and match your frequency to it," I said; this would mean that I would be able to walk through their shield without problems.

"Doing it now, Boss. Passing the data to Genius as well," Al replied smugly.

"Showoff," I said, slightly louder.

"I don't think so, My Lord. that man seems to be fully controlled in his actions." Patrick replied thinking that I meant the Brenham men. I didn't correct him.

"Now is the time for the Church to act," I said, seeing Genius approaching through the surrounding crowd.

I stepped forward and addressed Mandrake. "Be at peace here, brothers, for there is no need for any conflict."

"I'm sorry, My Lord Bishop, but this is an affront to the Dukedom of Lake Town. I cannot ignore this." Mandrake said but his manner was diffident to my apparent position.

"I know this, my son, but the church has been threatened by the actions of this man's master, and so the church will deal with this affront," I said, making the sign of peace to the Duke.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.