Anna Maria
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2008 by Coaster2

The police came to see Anna Maria on the following Tuesday. She called me immediately after talking to them on the telephone. They had requested that she come to the local police station to give a statement concerning the death of her husband. I was familiar with this method. The interview at the local commissariato was a way to intimidate the innocent. I would try to put a stop to this and have the interview in my office.

I telephoned the local polizia and identified myself. I was told to wait, of course. I could hear conversations in the background but I could not understand what was being said. At last, another man came on the telephone, identifying himself as Inspector Lucci of the Polizia Regionale.

I explained my concerns and we argued for several minutes before he agreed to meet in my office. However, he would be accompanied by a Capitano Candiotti of the Guardia di Finanza. That told me they might be aware of the activities of the Maraj brothers. I would have to caution Anna Maria once more before the meeting.

I telephoned Anna Maria and told her we would set the meeting for three o'clock that afternoon, but it would be in my small, very warm office. With good fortune, the two investigators might have a large meal with wine and perhaps be in a more contented mood. My friends at the ristorante would alert me if this was so.

Anna Maria arrived early, as instructed, and I told her about the Guardia di Finanza and what they would want to know. The G di F had control of customs and finance. Smuggling would be their interest.

Again, I instructed her to answer truthfully, but only the questions asked. If I were in any doubt about what was being asked, I would interrupt. If she was uncertain, I would let her know with only the movement of my head if she should answer or not. My client appeared to be quite unsettled and I tried to calm her before the two men arrived.

Shortly after the appointed hour, there was a knock on my door and I welcomed our guests. As I expected, the two policemen had dined well at the ristorante and had more than a glass of wine. Indeed, they were dressed in suits and since I had closed the windows in my office, I expected the warmth of the room to sooth them. It was to prove a useful strategy.

Inspector Lucci began the interview, placing a small recorder on my desk in front of Anna Maria. The questions were straightforward and not dangerous at all. Anna answered them promptly and clearly. She offered no embellishment. The inspector concluded the interview after twenty minutes and thanked Anna Maria for her cooperation.

Capitano Candiotti was a different matter altogether. He was seeking much more detailed information, giving the impression that he thought Anna Maria was withholding important facts. He was an older man, quite stout and wearing a three-piece suit. By the time the first interview was completed, he was perspiring abundantly.

"Signora Maraj, do you know how your husband earned his money?" he began.

"He was a fisherman."

"Did he catch many fish?"

"I do not know. I did not go to the docks to see."

"Would you be surprised to know that he had not landed any fish in Calva in many months?"

"Perhaps he landed them elsewhere."

"I think not. In fact, signora, I do not believe he has been fishing for some months. Do you know anything about that?"

Anna Maria looked toward me and I nodded for her to answer.

"I heard him talking to his brother one night. They had been drinking and boasting of their success. They talked of bringing people to Italy. People who were hiding in their boat. These people would pay Ridvan to bring them from Albania."

"Ah hah! So you know of this smuggling then!" He sounded triumphant. "Why did you not report this to the authorities?"

"I was afraid. Ridvan had threatened me with my life if I left him. I do not trust the polizia to protect me."

"I see." He seemed to be thinking about something. I decided it was time to interrupt.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.