Anna Maria - Cover

Anna Maria

Copyright© 2008 by Coaster2

Chapter 2

When I said that god was smiling on me that morning, I might have said that he was visiting me much more often than in the past. While I found no simple answer to the question of having her husband declared dead, other events made all my work unnecessary.

I was sitting at an outdoor table at the café, with my morning paper and espresso. I looked up to see Anna Maria hurrying toward me, her face quite contorted, but in what mood, I could not tell. She rushed to my table and sat, breathlessly waiting to recover. I rose to take her hand and calm her.

"Anna Maria, what is it? What has happened?"

"The police. The police in Foggia called me. They have found my husband. He is dead! Do you hear? He is dead!"

Her eyes were wide and alive, but not with fear or regret. It was excitement I saw on her face.

"Did they say how his death came about?"

"No. They did say it was a homicide and they would contact me soon to discuss matters with me. Why would they want to talk to me?"

"It is normal police procedure. If a crime has been committed, they must contact all the people who may be involved with the victim. Did they tell you any more than that?"

"No. Nothing more."

"I see." I thought this was a serious matter and required my intervention. "Anna Maria, I have a friend in Foggia. I will contact him and see what I can learn. Please do not talk to anyone about this matter until we meet again. Do you understand?"

"Yes. I understand, but does this not mean that I am now free of him?"

"Yes. It certainly does, but there may be other things to consider. The money for example. We do not know what questions the police will ask. Allow me to learn what I can. Please be patient," I pleaded.

It required but one telephone call to my cousin Aldo to determine what the Apulia regional police knew. The bodies of Ridvan and Olek Maraj were found washed ashore a few meters apart near Easano. Their hands were bound behind their backs and there was a bullet hole in the back of their heads. They had not been in the water for any great length of time. Their boat was nowhere to be found.

I considered the information. How much should I tell Anna Maria? Would she be upset or frightened if she knew the manner of her husband and his brother's death? And what of the money that had mysteriously appeared in her account? I sat in my office for some time, thinking of how I should deal with this situation.

The Maraj domicile was away from the water on a hill at the north end of Calva. It was a ten minute walk from my office to Anna Maria's casa, although the hill was steep and I was breathing heavily when I knocked on her door. She answered promptly.

"Signor Trigiani, come in," she smiled. I was at a loss for words to describe this woman. In the privacy of her home, she had discarded the black cloth and wore a white blouse and blue-jean pants that fit her very closely. It was the first time I had seen her true form and she was even more beautiful than I had imagined. I was at a loss for words as I entered her home.

"You have news of Ridvan?" she asked, getting directly to the question.

"Yes. He is certainly dead. However, there are things that I believe you should know. They are unpleasant things, I am afraid."

"Please. Do not spare me the facts."

"Your husband and his brother were murdered. Of that there is no doubt. In the manner which they were found, it would appear to be an execution. I'm sorry that I have to shock you this way." I tried very hard not to upset her, but I knew that she would learn these ugly facts soon.

She had put her hand to her mouth and her eyes grew large as she understood my words. There would be no tears. These were not men she loved. In truth, she might be secretly happy at these events.

"It is now time for me to advise you, Anna Maria. The police will be coming to talk to you. To ask you questions. I want you to tell them the truth, absolutely. Do not lie. However, answer only the questions they ask you. Do not volunteer information. Simply answer only the questions they ask, truthfully. Can you do that?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.