5th November - Cover

5th November

Copyright© 2008 by Wandering Lanes

Chapter 3: The Plot Thickens

- "In March 1605 that the plotters returned to London to continue their task, of course this wasn't to the plans of the Association who in the meantime were looking for closer positions for the plotters to work from, they had located one but it was in use by a coal merchant for storage of his coal..." Maurice continued and then the scene started

As the group reassembled they were joined by others, Ambrose Rookwood being one of them, he supplied most of the money now and also had several stables of horses which were considered for when the day of the 3rd November dawned.

They restarted the tunnelling under the control of Fawkes, who had returned a few days earlier, he was fully accepted now as John Johnson, squire to Sir Percy and was known to all the guards at the Houses since he made it his business to be friendly to everyone.

The depth of the tunnel was such that they took several minutes to traverse the route, and so they had decided on shifts to work away, they went in three groups, one group digging, another sleeping and the last relaxing, eating meals and the like. They had a bowl of water and a change of clothing just in case they needed to leave the house.

In March Thomas Winter paused in his digging, "Hist. What on earth is that noise?" He said as a strange sound could be heard from above their heads.

Fawkes was summoned as he was the expert and he cocked his head to try to judge where the noise was coming from, "I don't know what it is? It's nothing I've heard before ... no, I can't tell what it is." He said sounding slightly relieved as he did so, something that was missed by the others.

"What's going on? why have you stopped?" Catesby came down the tunnel and joined the group there, and then he heard the noise as well... "What the ... Fawkes can you go and find out what that could be? And don't get caught!" He directed to Fawkes.

Fawkes worked his way back to the entrance of the tunnel, he quickly washed the grime and mud off his face and hands changed his clothes and - now presentable - he left the building. He was slightly thoughtful as he walked in the streets of London, to be honest he was already worried, the digging had seemed to be taking longer than he thought it should and he wasn't too sure of its course. In his mind he had associated the rushing noise with the sound of the river, but then it wasn't a continuous noise, it paused before starting again.

His walk led him through the gates of the Houses of Parliament; he nodded to the guards who waved him though, as after all he was John Johnston, the man who worked for Sir Percy and no risk to the House at all.

Looking around he saw a handcart with the name of a coal merchant on the side, he learnt that the man had died and his widow, Ellen Bright, was raising funds by selling off the stock - although it was still Winter, when coal would bring more money in to the widow - but Fawkes thought nothing of this, but what he did notice was where the cellar was located ... just beside the House of Lords, in fact the cellar extended beneath the building! Now if only...

"Ho Goodman Whynniard, how goes the day?" He called to the owner of the house.

Saul Whynniard shook his head, "Badly Goodman Johnston, Mistress Bright cannot afford the rent and so she's moving her stock out, where can I find someone to take over at this time?"

"Why I'm sure my master, Sir Thomas Percy, is looking for somewhere to place his stock, mayhap he might take over Mistress Brights' placement? Could I prevail on you to hold advertising this place until I could talk to him?" Fawkes said seeing that this would be the answer to an unsaid prayer.

Saul Whynniard's face cleared, at least if the rent was taken over, better if he could raise it a fraction... "Why certainly Goodman Johnston, but I have heard words that there is some other also seeking storage space..." Whynniard hadn't but it didn't hurt to improve his point.

But Fawkes shook his head, "None of that Goodman, you know my master would be able to pay more than you wouldst normally receive, you just hold onto that space and I'll ensure that my master takes it over." He said before leaving the pair to load the cart.


Fawkes didn't return immediately to the house but spent time looking for some traces of their progress, it wasn't really noticeable to the normal person in the street, but Fawkes knew what he was looking for and was able to trace the course of the tunnel, they had missed the main building and were turning slightly.

- "Well duh! What did he expect? Nowadays you'd have a laser pointer to ensure you're going in the right direction." Kathy said.

- "Except they didn't have any such thing, not even a beam of light to direct them, so don't try to judge them on modern times, try to put yourself in their time instead! Kat!" Cathy told her

- "Okay, I suppose ... and it Kathy not Kat!" Kathy replied.

- "Whatever!" Cathy said with a smile on her face.

He frowned and worked out that if they had kept digging then they would have ended up near the kitchens! Now if he can convince Catesby and the others to just take the powder to the cellars ... well it would mean they wouldn't have to dig underground again for a start and that would be heaven-sent.

It was with a lighter step that he returned to the group who were all waiting impatiently for his report.

Catesby was by the door waiting for Fawkes to return, his face was still muddy and his clothing was unchanged. "Well? What was it?" He demanded as Fawkes stepped through the door.

Fawkes smiled, "It was the answer to our prayers, call in the others I think we have a new plan to make." He said.

Catesby shook his head, "No. I decide when and if we change anything so you'd better tell me now!" He said angrily seeing his power being taken away by this interloper.

Fawkes sighed, "Very well, in the Houses there's a cellar that is being cleared out, and this cellar once held coal and so should be dry enough to hold several barrels of powder. What I suggest is that we rent this cellar and start storing some barrels of wine in there to keep cool." Fawkes said.

"WINE! Why would we waste our time storing wine when the fate of this country is in the hands of that heretic king?" Catesby said angrily.

"Peace my friend, we'll tell them that we're storing wine, but in reality we will be putting the gunpowder into the right position, you see that cellar extends under the House of Lords and, from what I've worked out, just under the thrones that James and the Queen will be seated on. It's ready made for our purposes."

Catesby listened his anger diminishing, "Well done, now what do we need to do?" He asked.

"I'll get Percy to come with me to meet Goodman Saul Whynniard, how much can we pay a month for the rent?" Fawkes asked.

"It doesn't matter; we'll be able to get the funds regardless Rookwood will be able to help out." Catesby said with the throwaway gesture of one with no regard to price.

The other plotters soon came into the room and Catesby smiled at them, "My friends I have good news, the Lord has smiled on our work and has provided a new space for us, thanks to our good friend Fawkes, I have found a cellar that is suitable for our needs." He said ignoring the work that Fawkes had actually undertaken. "Now Percy I need you to go and arrange the rent on the cellar, Fawkes will show you who to see." He said looking at Thomas Percy who nodded

"Certs Robert, I'm sure that the Privy Purse will extend to that." Percy said with a smile, finding it funny to make the king pay for his own assassination.

"If not then I'm certain that we couldst pay one way or another." Catesby said nodding.


"Well?" Robert Cecil asked his man.

"It all went to plan, Mistress Bright was happy to move her stock and the new rent for the property she's now in is cheaper than Whynniard's." was the reply.

"Good ... and the cellar?"

"Whynniard's holding the place for Johnston to return with Lord Percy's answer, as arranged. I do believe that he's charging slightly more than Mistress Bright was paying." The spy said

Cecil laughed, "So the monies even themselves out. Such is the way of life. Is there any further word on our diggers?" He asked.

"Well those outside the building heard a cheer from the inside, so we think that the new was welcomed to them all." The spy said also laughing.

"Let's hope they take their time now, for when we take them they won't laugh for too long!" Cecil's face went serious now.

"No milord, they'll learn that it doesn't pay to go against the King." The spy nodded his head.

"The King? What has he got to do with it? Oh no they're going to learn they can't go against me!" Cecil said crossing his arms.

"O ... of course milord." They spy said bowing before he left.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.