Pebble Beach - Cover

Pebble Beach

Copyright© 2008 by Anthony Concept

Chapter 11

After a visit to the local plumbing supplier we purchase a pump, several fittings and three rolls of black poly pipe, we were set for Ron's part of the installation.

Ron arrived early the next morning. "All set Jim?"

"Yeah Ron, I was just looking at this poly pipe, there's a hundred metres in each roll. That should give us plenty of hot water when the sun's out."

"It's a lot of pipe Jim, you will need to warn the kids that the water will burn them, it gets bloody hot in the sun."

"I'll let the Sisters know to be careful."

We flaked the poly pipe out on the roof and secured it with saddles which we pop riveted to the iron. Ron fitted the pump outlet to the poly pipe and then went into the shower hot water line. He fitted a non return valve so as the bore water couldn't run back into the tank water supply.

"Well here goes fellas, lets start the pump and bleed the air out of the line, I reckon it will take about twenty minutes to warm up."

Ron switched the pump on and we opened the shower taps to get rid of the air. Soon the water started to come through. "It pretty warm even now and it's only been a few minutes," said Fred.

"Yeah, but keep in mind that the pipe has been sitting in the sun even though it didn't have any water in it."

"Even so, at that rate it should recover in a reasonably short time."

"Well I'm hoping so Fred, there's twenty five bodies to keep clean."

The bore and the 'solar' showers were a success, so we packed up our tools and thanked Ron for his time and expertise.

"Any time fellas, if it's for the kids it's a good cause."


Another fine weekend and the Sisters and the kids arrived in the bus. Bruno had brought Joey along for the trip and he seem to be very interested in helping the kids get settled in.

Annie asked Joey if he would like to stay with us, "We have room for guests so if you like to stay it won't be any inconvenience to us."

"Thanks Annie, I would like that, I haven't had this much fun since I don't know when. These kids are a great bunch, they don't ask for a lot yet they seem to always be enjoying themselves."

Just then Sister Mary came in, "Joey, the children want to know if you would like to go for a walk down the beach with them and Annie?"

"Sure Sister, I'll go and catch up with them, they haven't left yet have they?"

"No Joey they're waiting by the gate for you."

"OK, I'll catch up with you later then."

When Joey had gone Sister Mary was full of praise for him, "He kept the children fully entertained the whole trip over here, he seems like a big kid himself."

"Sister, Joey is the manager of a supermarket, all though I agree with you he can be a big kid when he wants to."

We all sat on the front porch, Annie asked the Sisters if they would like some of my home brewed beer. Sister Mary said she would like to try one.

"I hope it's better than the stuff my father used to make in the old days, it was terrible. He swore it was the best recipe around but he only drank it when he couldn't afford the bought stuff."

When Annie brought out the glasses and bottles she told the Sisters that this brew was better than the commercial beer.

"Jim has perfected his brew Sisters, I wasn't a beer drinker before I met him but I now thoroughly enjoy a cold one."

After the first mouthful Sister Teresa reckoned it could become addictive. "Jim, this would have to be the best I've ever tasted, it's got a nice malty flavour, yet it's not too sweet, just a lovely refreshing beer."

"Thank you Sister, you're right about it becoming addictive though, because it's so smooth and not so gassy it's too easy to drink more than you need, plenty of home brewers have become alcoholics."

Sitting back enjoying our drinks, I mentioned the solar hot water and the bore.

"You will need to warn the kids that the hot water is 'really hot', there should be more than an adequate supply if they shower during the day, sun light permitting of course. If you run out it will only take about twenty minutes to recover. There's plenty of cold water from the bore but don't drink it, the taste is terrible."

The talk eventually got around to fishing. "Sister Mary and I grew up together Jim, both of our dads were keen fishermen and we often went out in the boat with them."

"Would you like to come out fishing with me then?" I asked.

Sister Mary's eyes lit up, "If it's not to much of an imposition Jim we would love too, although our habit doesn't lend itself to boating."

Annie told them that she could outfit them in something more fitting for the fishing trip.

"Our Lord was a fisherman, a fisher of men," said Sister Teresa.

"If you catch any men out there, make sure they are over the size limit." I laughed.

"Darn, looks like we will be throwing them all back Sister Mary."

"Touché, Sister, touché."

We heard a lot of giggling and laughter in the distance and soon the kids came in to sight. Joey seemed to have an attachment in the form of a girl who was a bit older than the rest. I asked about her.

"That's Allison Tebbs Jim, she's just about ready to move out into the world. We will miss her, she's been a great help with the younger children, and she's no slouch when it comes to helping with the office work either."

"What happens to them when they move out then Sister?"

"In Allison's case we will arrange for a mentor until she gets on her feet, probably someone within the church will find her employment. After that she's more or less on her own, I feel confident she will make something worth while of her life."

Later Joey took me aside and asked my opinion on helping Allison with a job at his branch of the supermarket.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.