Pebble Beach - Cover

Pebble Beach

Copyright© 2008 by Anthony Concept

Chapter 7

The next morning, when all of the kids returned from their sleeping quarters, accompanied by our local folk. Sister Teresa called for a 'bit of shush'.

"Children, the kind folk of Pebble Beach have offered to build the orphanage a large log cabin. They are also providing us with a bus for when we need to come down here. I would like you all to put your hands together and show them our appreciation."

There were squeals of joy, "whoopee, wow, great," and much more.

I spoke up, "Looks like you kids approve of the Pebble Beach idea. We want you to feel welcome, it's been a pleasure having you over here and we all hope to see a lot more of you in the future."

Herman told them we were looking to buy the cabin in a kit form and erect it ourselves. One of the kids asked if they could be part of the building team; a quick look around the locals and it was agreed that they were most welcome.

We again paced out where the cabin would sit and discussed the layout. Fred said, "Instead of having bunks you are going to have hammocks to sleep in, when they are not in use you can roll them up and have a big space to play in."

When the bus was getting ready to depart, there was a excited group of kids and two, still very shocked Sisters.

"We will never be able to repay you folk for this magnificent gesture," said Sister Mary.

Annie told her, "Just by bringing the kids here is more than enough payment Sister. The folk enjoy them as much as we do."

...

After they had gone I sat down at the computer and Googled 'Log cabins' It was only seconds and the screen had dozens of links to follow. An hour later and I had a short list that would meet our requirements.

After making a few phone calls I had a company that would work with us on one of their basic designs. They were happy to provide additions like the ablution blocks for each sex, a reasonably large kitchen and quarters for the Sisters. The price was well within our budget so I told them we would visit their factory the next day.

...

Alex White, the manager met us in the reception area. "Welcome to 'Cabins and more' I hope that we can accommodate you, no pun intended."

We all had a bit of a chuckle at his joke. Alex led us into his office and pulled out a rolled up drawing. "I taken the liberty of making a preliminary drawing based on our phone conversation."

Spreading the drawing on his big table he pointed out where he thought the additions should go.

I explained the purpose of the cabin. "Alex, the idea of the cabin is for the orphanage to have a place where they could come and relax. We want the main room to be empty, that kids will sleep in hammocks which can be rolled up and put away during the day."

"There are usually two Sisters with them so they will need separate quarters. Because there are girls and boys we need to have some form of a foldable partition during the night and also the two ablution blocks as well."

"Yes, I can see what you need, how about putting the Sisters at one end, the kitchen at the other end and the two ablution blocks down the backside of the building. If we use this configuration we can then make provision for a full length veranda on the front side. How does that sound?"

"That sound good Alex," said Annie. "What do you suggest for the flooring?"

"Hmm, if it was me I would use a concrete slab, keep in mind, a dozen kids running around on a wooden floor would sound like a thunder storm while a slab would deaden the sound."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.