Pebble Beach - Cover

Pebble Beach

Copyright© 2008 by Anthony Concept

Chapter 5

The following morning after breakfast we trundled off to see the new store. The building was old but in good condition, there was some evidence of modernisation present.

After we had taken a good look at the place I asked to see the books. The accountant brought out the last two years ledgers.

"Here you are Mr Taylor, the last two years. I think you will find them in order, we have an audit every six months, there has been a 8% growth in sales over the last six months. This is a healthy business if you don't mind my saying so."

I thanked him and started to leaf through the latest ledger, sales were good and all outgoings were up to date. Their bean counter was good at his craft and I felt confident that their claims were genuine.

After I had perused the books I took another walk around on my own. I noted things that would need attention and what would cost us money to fall in line with our other stores.

We had a bit of a parley in the car park, Bruno asked each of us what we thought. I told him that on the financial side it looked healthy, a few things needed to be attended to maintenance wise. It had my vote to go and haggle, Joey pointed out that their checkout system was a bit antiquated and would be one of the first things to need attention.

We all agreed to negotiate so Bruno and I sat down with the owners and after a spirited debate settled on a price. Because we didn't need to look for finance we had a good bargaining chip. The next move was for the legal folk to take care of the conveyancing.

...

Things moved swiftly when the ink was dry. Ed and Erin set up a small temporary office and began to bring the store in line with the other three. I popped my head in a few times and asked if there was anything I could do to help.

"Thanks Jim, Ed and I seem to have it under control, we both have our own sections worked out and so far things appear to be running smoothly."

...

Annie and I returned to Pebble Beach and it was damned hard not to show our affections for each other when anyone was around.

The folk of Pebble Beach usually had a get together every second week, this was mainly a social affair, although it gave us the opportunity to discuss issues pertinent to Pebble Beach. The get together this week was at Hattie Marks place. We were all sitting around enjoying a few drinks and consuming the spread that the ladies provided. When out of the blue Sally James posed the question.

"So when are you two going to make it public then?"

Annie and I sat there in stunned silence. Finally Annie got her senses together and replied.

"Jim and I considered it only respectful to hold off for a while. Clarrie has only been dead for a short while and it would seem improper for me to be jumping into bed with Jim. Yes we do have feelings for each other and I'm sure they will amount to something in the future but for the time being we wish to show respect to Clarrie."

"I agree with Annie, she is, as I'm sure you all know a very moral person. In her old country respect for those who have passed is very important. That said, I have very strong feelings for her and when an acceptable time has passed I think you folk will be the first to know, until then we intend to remain 'just friends'.

After a while the get together wound down and we all returned to our homes. As we were walking back Annie held my hand and said, "Thank you Jim I think you put my thoughts on respect perfectly. In my old country we do hold death in a different manner than we do here and it's good you made them aware of that. I'm sure every one of them wants us to be together and I'm sure they understand our reluctance."

We arrived at Annie's door and I gave her a quick peck on the cheek.

"Good night my love, I'll be thinking of you until tomorrow."

Annie returned my peck with a full blooded kiss, "Leave the back door open Jim, I'm not sleeping on my own this night or any other in the near future."

In a short while Annie slipped into the house, "I've transferred my phone to your number so if any busybody decides to ring I won't miss the call."

Devious woman my Annie.

We had a long luxurious shower before slipping between the sheets. We didn't make wild passionate love but just held and cuddled each other, the love flowing between us, it was love and not just the sex that attracted us to each other.

...

Today was bath day for Rosie. Once a week we pulled out the big zinc tub and filled it with warm water, unlike most animals Rosie loved being bathed. She would step into the tub and I would pour the water over her and then rub the shampoo into her coat. She seemed to go into a trance with an occasional twitch running down her spine. Come the time to get out she showed reluctance, so I just bailed the water out and left her to exit under her own steam. She smelt lovely for a few days but by the weeks end she was starting to smell a little bit musty again.

...

At the following get together we was told that there was a candidate for Annie's house when she decided to make it public that she wasn't using it at night. You can't win with these old buggers. It seems as though they become more aware of what's happening around them when they get older.

After a quick chat between Annie and me we decided to come out into the open, Annie told them that they were a pack of old busy bodies. We know that their hearts were in the right place but we didn't want anyone to think less of us for being together so close to Clarrie's passing.

"Don't worry about it lass" said Fred Jacobs "We all know how you felt about Clarrie and I think he would be the first to wish you both all the best. You looked after him through his final days and we respect you greatly for what you did for him."

So that was it, Annie moved in with Rosie and me the next day, I think Rosie was tickled pink.

Annie and I soon became comfortable with each other's presence. When the subject of children came up for discussion I made it clear that my mind was open on the matter. If Annie wanted children then I was all for it.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.