Pebble Beach
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2008 by Anthony Concept

The folks at Pebble beach are a pretty self sufficient bunch, most are old age pensioners and don't have a lot of 'cash to splash'. Most of the men went fishing and always caught extra catch to hand around.

Old Betty Karnak was a keen gardener and supplied everyone with fresh veggies. Herman Gott who lived next door shared her passion and between them they had the best veggie patch around.

So it came as a bit of a shock when Betty fell and broke her hip, she was a lady of large proportions and was getting on in years. I called the hospital and told them of her injuries and cautioned them about the condition of the road in.

The hospital decided the ride in would be too traumatic for Betty so they arranged for the air rescue chopper to pick her up.

Annie and I went to visit her in hospital a few days later, Betty look pretty glum. "They told me that my hip is shattered, I've got severe osteoporosis and the chance of it healing up are very slim. I've always been a realistic sort of a person so I know that I won't be going back to Pebble Beach, alive that is. Jim, would you allow me to be buried alongside Ned and Clarrie? The beach is where I belong and I would like that to be my last resting place, along side my friends."

"Of course Betty, but that won't be for a long time yet, you're a healthy woman and I'm sure you can beat this, golly, these days they can give you a hip replacement."

"I've spoken to the doctor about that Jim, I'm too old and the bones are too weak to accept a replacement. To put it bluntly, I'm a goner Jim."

It was a very sad trip home, Annie was very upset, she and Betty had formed a close relationship over the past years.

Betty's daughter Leah came down from Queensland to look after her but when she heard the prognosis she realised there wasn't much she could do for her. Leah decided stay at Betty's place, she would use Betty's car to travel into town each day. The neighbours had a meeting and indicated that someone would accompany her each day, that would give them a chance to visit Betty and do a bit of shopping as well.

Two weeks after the fall Leah told me that Betty was going down hill fast, she had lost the will to live and just wanted it all to end. Nothing Leah could say would alter her mind. "I'm dying Leah, why prolong it, I'm taking up a bed that someone else could be using, there's no future."

...

A week later Betty was dead and I had another grave to dig. Being aware of Betty's impending demise I had contacted the Health department and had approval to bury her with Ned and Clarrie.

While I was talking to the Health official I discussed making the top of my lot a cemetery. Some of the other folk had indicated they would like their last resting place to be in Pebble Beach so, it seemed commonsense to make it an official cemetery. The department gave their approval but wanted to inspect the site. Approval was granted and Pebble Beach now had its own cemetery.

Betty had told me that she wanted her funeral to be like Clarrie's. "No weeping, no religious claptrap, celebrate my life not my death, have a party and toast my health."

We did as Betty asked and when the grave was filled in Rosie went and sat on the mound. She missed Betty who often brought her unwanted veggies and always talked to her. They say animals can't show emotion, I think Rosie can.

...

Life goes on, Herman took over Betty's garden and one day asked me what was going to happen to Betty's house. He was asking because his sister wanted to come to Pebble Beach, if Betty's place was available he would like to put her name up for approval.

I sounded out a few of the townsfolk as to what normally happened when a house became available. The odd occasion in the past was to put any requests in a hat and draw one out. I put the word around that Herman wanted his sister's name to be considered. There were no other contenders so I told Herman to let his sister know she was the latest resident of Pebble Beach.

"Thank you Jim, I'm sure Helga will continue Betty's good work as she's a keen a gardener as I am."

...

Annie and I were sitting on the front porch murdering 'My grandfather's clock' with our instruments when we heard a car approaching. "Looks like we have visitors Jim."

The car pulled up and out stepped the last person in the world I expected to visit ... Joey. "Hi Jim, bet you didn't expect to see me here did you?"

"That's for sure Joey, what brings you here?"

"Two things Jim, first I want to apologise for being such a dickhead and stuffing things up. I also want to thank you for kicking my arse the way you did. Teresa has straightened me out. I was spoilt little shit, that was Mama's fault and she agrees she brought me up wrong, thank again for putting me in my place."

"That's water under the bridge Joey, I accept your apology so let's get on with life, you mentioned two things?"

"Yeah, dad asked me to talk to you, he's been looking at a new store. An old couple are selling out a small supermarket, Dad thinks there is a potential to expand it. He said he will ring you tonight but asked me to forewarn you so you wouldn't be surprised."

"Hmm, that sound interesting, who is going to run it?"

"If we buy it dad intends on initially managing it with me as his assistant. When the proposed expansion is complete he will consider putting me in charge. I might add it won't be the old Joey, I've learnt my lesson, Teresa drummed that into me every day and I'm thankful that she did."

"I'm glad you came over Joey, this new store sounds good, if it goes ahead you've got my vote to run it, I've a lot of faith In Teresa."

Annie came out with a couple of home brews for us. She had gone inside when Joey had started to make his apologies. "Annie, I'd like to introduce Joey to you, he's my old boss Bruno's son."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.