Journey of the Warrior - Cover

Journey of the Warrior

Copyright© 2008 by Roadbug

Chapter 4: Into the Fire and Beyond

I woke up with a warm ball curled up next to me. I looked over and saw Fianna, still holding both swords and the staff. She had apparently gotten in to bed with me and then kicked the blankets off after she went to sleep. She was now pushed up to my left side and slightly curled up.

I carefully covered her with the blankets and got up. I got dressed and went out into the hall. There were two guards at my door when I walked out. I told them that my daughter was still sleeping and that I was going to go see about something to eat for the two of us. One guard nodded and I left to go to the kitchens.

I went down to the main kitchen and asked the cook if she could give me a tray for two. She called one of her helpers and they fixed up a nice meal.

When I started to take the tray, she said that the girl who'd helped would carry it for me. I told the cook that if she came with me I'd put her to work with my daughter.

She laughed and said, "Well I guess I can loan my daughter to help you with yours, My Lord. She's here to learn and I don't really need her help except when we have a banquet or something of that nature."

I asked if she'd eaten yet, and when she said no, I asked the cook to fix her something too. I thought that having a girl that at least looked to be Fianna's age around might help her, but I wasn't going to make her go hungry.

The cook got another plate of food for the girl and thanked me for being concerned about her.

I said, "I need her help with my foster daughter. I don't need her hungry while she's with us. I'd also like a lunch for the three of us. I'm probably going to keep your daughter most of the day."

The cook agreed and said that she'd make sure there was enough for that.

I led the girl up to my room and had her set the table for the three of us while I went in and woke Fianna up.

I gently shook her shoulder and she rolled over to face me. When her eyes opened, she saw me and sat up, rolling the weapons to the edge of the bed.

I took her hand and said, "There's a room here to put them while we sleep. The sword barer isn't required to sleep with them. At night, just place them in the stand for them in the private arms room here."

She looked fearful and said in a quiet voice, "I'm sorry father. I didn't mean to anger you."

I pulled her into a hug and told her, "I'm not angry with you daughter. I just don't think that sharing your bed with two swords and a staff is very comfortable. Especially places like here where it isn't necessary. Now get up and get ready for breakfast. We have food waiting for us and a visitor for you."

Fianna got up and put the clothes back on that she'd been wearing since we'd rescued her. I decided that I'd have to do something about that first thing today after we'd eaten.

When she was dressed, I took her out into the main room and sat her at the table. I noticed that it was only set for two and that the cook's apprentice had set her food up on a small table. I told her, "I brought you here as a guest. Please join us."

She looked at me with a shy smile and moved her plate over to the main table and sat down. I shook my head and asked, "How are my daughter and I going to talk to you if you hide at the far end of the table? Please, sit with us."

She moved down by Fianna and sat again.

I just shook my head as Fianna started laughing.

She said to the girl, "I'm Fianna. Do you live here in the castle?"

The girl nodded her head, keeping her face down where I couldn't see it. I said, "I can't here a head move. Child, I'm not going to bite you. I brought you here to keep my daughter company because you look to be the same age, not to torture you."

Fianna laughed at me and said, "Well, I think you're torturing her now." Turning back to the girl, she said,"I grew up traveling with my uncle as a trader after my parents died. They were farmers and we lived far to the west of here."

The girl looked at her and asked, "You're a trader? How long have you been one?"

"Since my parents died when I was five, I think. I've been living with my uncle since." She started crying quietly then and said, "Now my uncle is gone."

The girl jumped up and hugged Fianna and said, "Oh my Lady, please don't cry. If you wish, I'll be your friend."

I took Fianna's hand and said, "Your not alone now. As long as I live I"ll be with you."

Fianna looked up at me and said, "Thank you father."

I said, "Finish your breakfast now. The cook and this youngster worked hard to fix it for you."

Fianna looked at the young elf and asked, "You helped make this for me?"

The elf nodded and Fianna said, "My thanks." after that she started eating and finished the whole plate even thought the serving was large.

We all finished at about the same time and I stood and told them, "I'd like you both to stay here for a bit. I have to see about some clothing for you, daughter, and then I'll take you both to the village for a bit."

They agreed to stay and I grabbed my new staff. I'm not much for large blades as I have always preferred a staff. I went to see Artemus in his office, and thankfully he was there.

When I went inside, I found him with Mellany and Eldranna with him talking. I walked up to the desk and told him, "I stole your cooks daughter this morning to keep Fianna company. I left them in my room for a bit while I'm out looking for new clothing for her."

I asked Eldranna and Mellany, "Can you help me with that? Her clothes are rags and I don't have anything in my rooms to fit her and right now, I can't afford to buy her what she needs."

All three of the started laughing and when they finished Artemus said, "You have plenty right now. Even after the division of the bounty for the bandits, as leader you get half. You have over three hundred gold crowns as your share. The others will have quite a bit too."

"After we find any still living with a claim on any of the loot you brought in, you get half of that too," he finished.

You should have at least two thousand gold crowns when that's done," he said. " I also believe that as a member of my family you get a stipend. You also get something from the Kings treasury as a Kings Knight. I'll advance you as much as you need if you wish. I will also see about getting your daughter fitted in proper attire."

I said, "If you wish to give her formal wear, that's your choice. I wish to go to the woman whom I've always done business with for my clothes. She is very good and her prices are reasonable, so I'll take her there when I get her something a bit better to wear for now. I'd like to see her fitted with what she'll need on the road and replace mine."

"Very well," said Artemus. "I think we have a few things that she can use for the time it takes to get new clothing made for her."

"Thank you," I said. "I wonder if I could borrow these two lovely ladies for the day? I'd like their company too."

Artemus laughed and said, "I think we can oblige you, Hawk. I'm not certain, but the possibility does exist."

I chuckled myself and said, "Well, if I have something for Fianna to wear, I intend to go to the seamstress after lunch."

Mellany said, "I'll be ready."

"Why don't you two join me for lunch?" I asked.

"Very well," said Eldranna. "I think we can manage that. We'll be at your rooms shortly before if it pleases you."

I said, "It would please me very much to have lunch with the two of you and your cousin. I think it would please my daughter also."

Mellany said, "Well in that case we'll have to be there."

Eldranna asked, "How is she today?"

I said, "When I woke up she was curled up beside me in bed still holding those swords and the staff. She sneaked in after I fell asleep and kept them with her the whole time. I finally told her that it was acceptable to leave them in the arms room in the apartment. She also seemed much more cheerful with the cooks daughter to keep her company."

"That was a good idea, Hawk," said Artemus. "Elves age differently than humans, and she is a few years older than your daughter, but they are of comparative ages. It would be good for the child to have the company."

"That's why I left them together," I said. "I thought that Fianna would be more comfortable that way. She is very timid about strangers right now. This might help her overcome that."

"Hawk, you are a wise and caring man," said Mellany. "I truly believe that I made the right choice to join with you and I don't regret it."

I looked at her and said, "Maybe that's why I don't want you to come with me. I care too much for you too."

With that I took my leave of them and went back to my room to wait for some decent clothing for Fianna to wear when I took her to the small village just out side of the castle walls.

The seamstress I wished to go to was a wonder. I bought all my clothing from her when I visited here. She and her husband ran a shop that sold clothing and footwear. She did tailoring and he was a very good cobbler. I decided that I was due for a pair of his boots too.

Thinking about the shop, I made my way back to my room. The girls were chatting away as two maids were helping Fianna try on a few dresses.

That was fast, I thought. I just told Artemus that she needed some clothes and someone was taking care of it already.

They had a bright red dress on her and were sizing it to her when I walked it. I said, "I think the master bedroom would be a better place for that."

That got me a bunch of squeals and Fianna launched herself at me like a javelin. She hit like one too. Then I had a pair of arms around me and she was saying, "Thank you Father. The dresses are so beautiful."

I looked up at the maids and said, "Thank you. I didn't expect this so fast as I just told Lord Artemus that she needed clothes."

One of the maids laughed and said, "It wasn't the Lord who sent us. It was Lady Shardinelle."

Oh?," I asked. When did she send you?"

"We're her personal maids," said the maid. "She sent us with some of her old dresses that she outgrew and told us to see if we could get them resized to fit the Lady Fianna."

"Well tell her she has my thanks," I said.

They both nodded and I sent them and Fianna into the bedroom.

The girl from the kitchen said, "I'll return to my duties now that you no longer have need of me.

"I'm not the one that needs you," I said. "My daughter is the one. She has no family of her own now, so I brought you up here to keep her company when I'm busy. I'll speak to your mother about that and ask her to allow you to remain while I'm still in the castle. Please stay."

The girl bowed and said, "Be it as you wish my Lord. I'm at your service."

I went to the table and sat down to wait while the maids got the dresses ready for Fianna. The kitchen girl asked me if I needed anything and I said, "I wouldn't mind if you sent to the kitchen for some tea for the five of us. I'm sure the others wouldn't mind and I would like a cup."

She said, "I'll go down and get some right away."

"Send for it, child," I said. "You're not here to run off doing such chores. You're here to keep my daughter company for me."

She smiled as she got up and went to the door. She told the guards out side to send to the kitchen for tea for five, then came back to the table."

We chatted for awhile, until the maids had finished with Fianna. When they came out of the room, Fianna was wearing a bright green dress that was more casual than the red had been.

I stood and bowed to her and said, "I must be dreaming since I don't believe that such an angel would come to me."

Fianna giggled and gave me a hug and said, "I'm not so pretty as an angel, but thank you Father."

I hugged her back and said, "That's a matter of opinion. Since I'm the senior, I think my opinion is the one that matters."

I looked up at the maids and said, "I thank you. I have tea coming for the five of us if you'd join me."

The maids accepted and when the tea arrived, we sat drinking it while we chatted for awhile.

When we finished the tea, I told Fianna that I was going to take her to a woman in the village outside the castle to get her some traveling cloths and boots.

Dismissing the maids, I asked the cooks apprentice if she'd accompany us and when she agreed, we left.

I stopped by to see Artemus for a few moments to pick up some of the money he'd promised me and then headed for the village.

It wasn't along journey, taking only about five minutes or so, before we arrived at the shop. We went in and I had the girls look around for the clothing the Fianna would need while I went and talked to my friend.

We watched the girls as we chatted about past times. She was one of the first true friends I'd made after the healers let me loose and although she'd never told me her name, we'd always gotten along well.

While we were talking, I heard some yelling outside. Apparently Fianna had heard it too because she was next to me holding out my sword so fast I would swear that she teleported there.

I took the sword without even thinking and went out the door to see what the fuss was about. I saw that a small cottage across the street was on fire. Others who'd been nearby were already grabbing up buckets and forming a line to the well in the center of town.

That's when I heard the screaming. I looked at the small window in the upper floor and saw a small child up there. The window was too small for him to climb out, and I could see flames behind him.

Running back into the seamstresses shop, I grabbed a heavy blanket and dropped my sword. I ran back outside and grabbed a bucket of water before the person holding it could toss it onto the fire and dumped it on the blanket then grabbed the next and repeated.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.