A New Way of Life - Cover

A New Way of Life

Copyright© 2008 by Da Womby

Chapter 9

It has been three months since the escape. During this time we have repelled several attacks by the Guards. They never seem to learn, they think the weapons they created out of the tools that were developed before I was moved were all they needed. We created a draining field that stopped all their devices working as they entered the field and then it was simple hand to hand. Most of them weren't even trained in how to use the swords they had, using them as a status symbol rather than a weapon. We gathered all the swords we could as I suspected we would need them one day.

During this time my relationship with the Youngest Lokhoni (as she was known) grew. I was reminded of my obligations. I had saved all the unattached women from death and they were now my responsibility. No Way was I taking that on. I took YL as my mate and attended to a few of the others. Again multiple births seemed to be the number of the day.

We have now set up a fortress to live in. Great sight lines for the bows and cross bows. Seeing that the Guards have decided to "modify" the technology, we have to, but along much more mundane ways, rather then trying to completely bastardise it. The cross bows don't use a string, but a driver similar to the glove but smaller and more specific. Soon we'll create a projectile weapon. I'm thinking of a modified Gauss gun, rather than trying for a propellant based gun. Frankly I couldn't help them much there anyway. A Gauss gun normally uses a magnetic field to "pull" the projectile at hyper-velocities (barely sub- to super-sonic). I was going to modify the field presented in the glove to a pull, rather than a push like we used in the cross-bows, to simulate the magnetic field.

I've been training the Healers as much as I can, plus we have developed several items to help them, closures, scalpels, more mundane medicine rather than esoteric. Without access to teachers to train them, the Healers will die out as a class. Something I would hate to see happen. I've been working on the Tinkers and Smiths as well. A couple of very quick thinking ones pulled a full set of teaching texts as well as reference texts out. This should help keep them alive and going.


Our Fortress Esoteric is thriving. I've stayed around long enough to see the birth of YL's children, and several others. Something I was very worried I would not be allowed to. I feel now though I as if I'm on borrowed time, just waiting to be Tiger'd once again.

The Guards have arrived in force. We have had plenty of warning thanks to our scouts, but the number is staggering. I didn't realise there could be this many. The Captain of the Guards has asked for parley, so I suppose we'll have to agree to talk.

The head of our group goes to meet, under a truce flag, with the Captain. I've gone along too, but invisible to all mundane and esoteric sensors. I think something is up.

"We have come to demand your surrender and return to the enclave", the Captain says as they sit down.

"Is that all?" asks the leader.

"And the head of the person claiming to be George La Strange".

"And if we refuse?"

"We will destroy all the adults in the stockade and return with the children".

"What right do you have to demand this, to threaten this? We have done nothing but leave the enclave as is our right as citizens."

Laughing he gestures behind him. "These make it my right. The council has been dissolved. The Tinkers, Smiths, Healers and Justicars imprisoned. When we return they will be tried for treason and executed. They have dared to flaunt Technology and bring Them down on us."

"But George explained what caused that. He was working to allow us to be able to withstand them when They return".

"You naive fool. How do we even know he was real? This imposter could be anyone. We need to cull the elves from our midst, return to the old ways. There is no place here for creatures like them here. This is a world for humans, not half-breeds." By this time he was practically frothing at the mouth.

"I reject your proposal. I will return and await your leaving." retorted the Leader. As he got up, the Captain pulled a sword and swung at him. I parried the blow, remaining hidden. "So this is how you parley? With weapons and back-stabbing? Leave now before you are killed. This truce is ended, the parley finished." Turning he left the tent.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.