A New Way of Life - Cover

A New Way of Life

Copyright© 2008 by Da Womby

Chapter 6

Days of walking later we came upon a citadel. The days were spent in discussion with Leonore about the current state of esoterics and with the girls improving my wood craft. Food was plentiful and we, thankfully, didn't have to resort to the Sandman for "food".

The nights? Me, 16, lovely companion, enough said.

The citadel was a sight to behold. Rising hundreds of meters in the air, made of glass, it looked like an old sky scraper from the old earth. It positively oozed esoteric energies across the band, even some combined basics were showing up. When you combine Psionics with either Talent or Arch-magic the sum is far greater than the whole. Combine all three ... orders of magnitude higher again.

There was a guard at the entrance to the citadel, a steady stream of Tinkers going in and lone figures in robes similar to Leonore's as well. Some slightly different.

"Who are they?" I gestured to the ones in different robes.

"Justicars. Truth seekers who administer justice around the country and help set law. The Justice Guards" here she pointed to the guards at the entrance, "enforce the law. We have tried to keep the laws simple as we have little ability to enforce it. Probably the most often enforced law is the pregnancy law. They are harsh but necessary."

"Where to now? Do you need to send word we are coming?"

"I have already contacted the Council, they are gathering all near by Tinkers and Healers to return for your judgement"

"Judgement? What judge..." as I fainted from a nullification field. The last thing I saw was Leonore putting away a gem and armed men taking control of the girls.


I woke.

Headache.

Thirsty. I reached for the Sandman and found it missing. As my head cleared I realised I was naked and manacled with esoteric bindings.

Suddenly a bright light landed on me. "Who are you? Why would you bring destruction on us?"

Standing and holding a hand to cut the glare I made out a circle of robed figures dressed as Justicars. I tried to scan past them and the manacles flared, the pain dropping me to the floor.

"Your powers are useless while bound. We've had criminals Before and the Writings tell us how to control them."

"So if I'm a criminal your bindings will hold me? And if they don't then I can't be?"

"Of course, the bindings only hold the guilty."

They made a mistake, well a few. They left me alive, the bound me with an esoteric device, and the pissed me off. Bad things to do.

Sweeping my hair behind my ears I held the bindings in front of me. As they were inside my aura I could scan them and not set them off. Simple feedback detectors. They really didn't understand how things worked. I kept the wrist-lets and severed the link between them. Changing the feedback from a broad squeal to a controlled amplification, I got my self some very high end amplification matrixes.

Score for me.

Calling an illusion of a light shimmer around me I cast around until I found my clothes and stuff. I teleported them over and dressed, all except the Katana, that I wanted for show. Dropping the lights I stood before the council.

"What right do you have to judge me? I'm obviously an innocent as your bindings show." Holding up my hands so show them the wrist-lets I dropped my left hand and raised my right. Calling my sword into my hand I went into a guard. "And who would nay-say me?"

The Justicars stepped back and a row of the guards stepped forward.

"We don't have to be rough about this," I told them. I brought my shields to full, something I should have done a long time ago and swept the hall for Leonore.

"Leonore, come here. You and I have a talk to have. Call of the guards or they'll end up like the bullies at the village."

She stepped forward, holding the gem I glimpsed before in her hand.

"It won't work this time. Betrayal only works against the unwary". She tried anyway and my shields handled it easily. "Call the guards off now or else".

For several minutes there was a tense lack of movement. Then another set of guards came up, each holding Lokhoni and Natalia. They still had their knives, but their wrists were bound and the guards held a knife to each throat. The guard holding Lokhoni smiled. "Stand down kid or..." and he moved the knife over her womb.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.