A New Way of Life - Cover

A New Way of Life

Copyright© 2008 by Da Womby

Chapter 3

Making our way back to camp, the girls were quiet and looking at me strangely.

"Are you a Smith?" one of the older women asked.

"No, I'm a student. I'm still learning."

"You were able to make the bow and these wonderful knives that cut so effortlessly."

"That was the use of technology. I have the design of many things in my template, I apply some power and out comes what I have selected. Any one could use one with training."

As I said 'technology' they all cringed and made a sign of a sphere with their hands. "What's wrong?" I asked.

"You used the banned word. IT brought destruction on us when They came. We were nearly destroyed because of our use of objects. Now only a few sacred Smiths and Tinkers make things and repair them. The men have knives and swords. They will take our knives from us when we return."

"They can't, they are bound to you. You can only lend them, or pass them to a daughter. If someone takes it against your will, or uses it without permission they will get a shock, which will get worse and worse until they return it, you give permission or they die. Killing you will not help them. Only another trained Matrix Tech can reset them."

"They will attack you for your goods."

"They can try, but I think we'll try bribery first before butchery."

When we arrived at the camp the old man came out again. "I told you to leave and take these worthless females with you."

"If you don't want to join the barbecue, that's fine. More roast Bison for me and the 'useless females'."

I turned to the girls, "Cut up the meat, I'll have a steak."

Heading into the woods for fuel, I was joined by Lokhoni. Gathering a couple of arm loads each, we set up in sight of the camp. The girls got their new knives and axes out and proceeded to cut out steaks, liver, kidneys. All the yummy bits.

As the men saw the girls with new knives there was a lot of screaming and 'discussion' going on, aimed at the headman. He walked over to the oldest women, Lokhoni's mother, and demanded her knife.

Shaking her head, she clutched it tighter to her breast. The headman smashed her over the back of the head before I could get there, grabbed her knife and used it to kill her. Screaming he held the knife high, smoke coming from his hand, then his entire body. Within seconds his body burst into flame and was reduced to ash moments later. Only the knife remained. "Lokhoni, the knife is now yours, unless you have a sister."

Nodding, she called "Natalia". A small girl, barely 10 years old, slowly made her way forward. Lokhoni gave her the knife and explained, loudly, the conditions of its ownership.

"Who is headman now," I asked the camp. "We have plenty of meat to eat, and I would feel safer inside the camp than out."

A man strode forward. "I am, youngling. My name is Frank. Did you kill the old one?"

"No, the knife was esoterically bound to the woman. Only she could use it, or give permission for its use. By taking it off her, then killing her with it, he sealed his own fate."

Frank gestured to the preparations. "Let's move inside. Be welcome and safe in our camp".

As we prepared to move into the camp, others came and help gather the food. Many looked at the knives and axes, but none touched them. The girls were almost smirking with the notoriety they had gained. "Be nice," I said, "the others will get some goods as well."

Using a flint and stone the fire was trying to be started, with little success. After many attempts the fire was running and the meat cooking.

"Frank, we need to talk."

Frank gestured to a building, run down and in very poor condition. "This was the old headman's building. It is mine now."

I explained "I have been sent from a place a long way away by one who is like a god to many. He has a purpose for me that I'm not sure about, but I have some ideas".

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.