Incomplete Archive
Chapter 8: Time of the Season's

Copyright© 2008 by Bakerman

The Witches of winter were in full retreat, harried by the young warriors of Spring. Soon the High Lords of Summer would arrive to shower warmth and contentment on their subjects. Finally the veterns of Autumn would watch over the people as the harvest was collected and preparations made for the return of Winter.

One of those enjoying the bright new day of spring was Nor'ack et Ali, Prince Nor'ack et Ali. Known to all in the town of Deepsport as just Norack he was sitting in the Stag's Head Tavern with nursing his first tankard of water while his companion, the trainee druid, Moz Dios regaled him of events in town over the winter. Moz was into his third cup of wine and spoke freely, slipping from topic to topic as his mind wandered back to the events of the past months.

Norack had returned to his home in the warmer south lands to escape the winter, Moz and Deepsport but in no particular order. Moz swung around to current events including the arrival of two ships of settlers from the Old Lands. Norack new that most of these settlers would head out on the Governors Way to the western outpost of Waypoint to take up farm holdings around the citadel located at the end of the road.

This was the reason Norack had returned to sign on as a guide/guard for the wagon train. Beyond the walls of Deepsport the land was still very wild but the fertile farm land around Waypoint attracted settlers every year. The local military was stretched to it's limits patrolling the town and its surrounds so the Governor always hired mercs to do escort duty. The croplands of Waypoint provided essential goods that Deepsport used to trade for equipment from the Old Lands across the sea.

The big rumour had it that the Governor wanted to explore the lands beyond Waypoint so as to extent the road for more settlers. As the Governor collected a levee from each new settler who took up an allotment he was fast running out of usable land to squeeze more people into. Moz was also aware of some tough merc crews who were also in town for the work. This did not please Norack who had worked with these types of merc's several summers ago on the North Road trips to Big Fish Bay. They took the money but cut and ran when the going got tough.

Norack thanked Moz for the news and asked to be kept in the loop of any gossip "doing the rounds". Moz swallowed the last of his wine and left Norack pondering the news as the sun moved across the sky.

(Humans and aliens arrive and fight a war for the planet, centuries later the survivors explore this changed world.)

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.