Sanctuary Book 2: Protectors of Earth - Cover

Sanctuary Book 2: Protectors of Earth

Copyright© 2008 by JohnyR

Chapter 13: FFP United

I don't understand Buck, why must we wait to start training the people on our ships? Wouldn't we be better off getting as many ships ready as possible?" Father asked.

Buck nodded to his father, "Yes, if they were already trained for combat we would. Let me ask you this Pop. Who do you consider are the best people flying on the Dragnot or the Jonathan Stone as of right now?" Buck asked.

"Well, your people of course my son. Why do you ask if you already know the answer?" Father replied.

"And what makes them better for flying either ship before your own people Pop?" Buck asked, hoping the light would come on in his father's head.

"Because they have discipline instilled in them that keeps them from panicking in an emergency. I assume they learned that from their combat training. Right my boy?" the big gray giant said, smiling.

"That is correct Captain Father. The training I am putting your people through reestablishes the discipline they had so long ago. The different stations training will go a lot faster once they have learned to follow orders and to use original thinking also," Commander Stone said, looking at everyone in the room. "The last thing we need are robots, pardon the pun," he said with a smile."

Even Father had to laugh at that since Sarge was an android himself.

Very well then, how are we going to train all that we have with just you as the instructor Commander Stone? Won't it take forever and what about when you need to rest?" Joseph asked.

"Well first off, Commander Stone doesn't ever need to rest since he is an android. Secondly, I think what Sarge has in mind is training a group of say 20 Air Walkers and then letting each of those 20 start training 20 more and so on." Buck informed the others at the table.

"That is correct sir. I will train the first 20 and move between the new groups to make sure the training is not diminished as it passes down through the ranks. Once my original group are each done training their group, they will be ready for the training of other ship duties and turned over to the rest of the squad for evaluation," Sarge replied.

"Just like the construction drones, huh Benny?" Tex asked.

"That is correct buckaroo. It will exponentially get everyone trained or retrained in combat in a little over a month," Benny confirmed.

"What about people in the Sanctuary Commander Stone? How long will it take to get them up to speed?" Councilwoman Agatha inquired.

Sarge looked at Buck before finally replying, "With the exception of the Protector squads, I will need at least two weeks to get everyone trained 'Up to speed' as you say Miss Agatha."

Councilmen Fred had caught the (everyone) part, and had a sinking feeling. "Who falls under the everyone part Buck? I take it you mean more than just the Protectors and the Academy cadets in training already."

"That is correct Fred. I will insist that every person over the age of 12 go through the combat training and also ships stations training," Buck answered.

"Why does everyone need to go through combat training Buck? Don't we still need to have a functioning Sanctuary?" asked Joseph.

"Yes Joseph we do, but the times of just depending on the Protectors are past. Everyone needs to be able to defend themselves and the ones they love. What would happen if all the Protectors were away on a mission and a band of scavengers showed up?" Buck asked.

"Well, we would just shut the main doors Buck, you know that," answered councilman scoffed Jason.

Buck sent a thought to Jet who was sitting beside Jason and in a split second the councilman found a 14-inch SOG jungle knife laying across his throat.

"Now Jason, who will protect you if the Protectors are gone and the doors are not closed before the scavengers can get in? Who?" he said as he leaned over the table and sent another thought to Joseph's mind. It took him a second but then the old man had a steak knife at Jet's throat too.

"I see your point son. Can you ask Jet to give me a shave while he's here?" the elder said smiling.

Jet leaned over and kissed the kind elder on the cheek, "You are my father's best friend Jason but the point needed to be made. No one is truly safe if he allows others to defend him and they are not around when the time comes to fight."

Sasha stood up in her chair so all could see her. Nodding at Buck she said to the elders, "After today, I can guarantee that all of you will be young again and full of life. All of you will be more than capable of defending yourselves and the ones you love. I have already told Joseph that I had a surprise for him. Joseph, I can and will remove all of your afflictions you will feel 30 years younger."

"Is this possible Buck?" Agatha asked in surprise.

Instead of answering her, Buck nodded at Bear who took his SOG knife and cut a six-inch slice on his forearm. Everyone watched as the blood flowed freely at first and then slowed to a drip until the wound started closing up slowly. It took about 5 minutes, then Bear wiped his arm off with his napkin and not even a scar remained.

Even the Air Walkers jaws hit the floor. "Is it magic, this thing that has been done to friend Bear?" asked Fadish.

"No, it is simply that all of Buck's squad has been enhanced with nanite technology, a self healing procedure if you will," Benny informed the others.

"What else has been enhanced on you boys?" asked a bewildered Daniel.

"Well, all of our eyesight is now way beyond a standard humans, our hearing is the same way, our bone and muscle mass is ten times denser and we can chat with each other without the need of radios," Buck said, smiling.

"So, how strong are you Buck? For that matter how strong is Bear? He was already the strongest person in the Sanctuary," Jason asked.

"Well, to be honest Jason, we don't really know since we haven't found enough weight yet to determine our limits," answered Bear

Now that was news to Benny even. "Aw come on now Buck. The training room has the same weights used by the Fergus and they could lift three times their own body weight," Benny exclaimed.

Tex stood up smiling, "No offense Captain Tomias, if you're listening, but compared to us the Fergus are wimps as far as the physical part goes." He turned and picked up the solid metal chair he had been sitting in and held the back of the chair between his hands. With almost no effort he started crushing the ½ inch solid metal back of the chair like so much paper.

Benny's mouth opened and his eyes rolled back out of sight. "That is indeed impressive Commander Tex. It would appear that the same nano technology reacts differently between our two races. This could be a great advantage in single combat with the Sabori. I am very much pleased," the voice replied.

Tex looked sheepishly at the crushed chair in his hands, "Sorry about the chair Father. Guess I got a little carried away there."

Father's eyes were wide as he watched the destruction, realizing that, with the exception of Jet, Tex was the smallest man on the Squad, "No problem my friend. I'm glad it was just a chair you demonstrated on though."

"Captain Tomias, have you heard from your Council yet on whether you can help us or not?" Buck asked, looking at Benny.

"Yes and I'm afraid it is both good and bad news my young friend. They will allow my ship the Balask to help you along with my crew, but will not involve any more ships or manpower from our homeworld." The voice said sadly.

You help will be greatly appreciated Captain, might I ask how you would like to be involved in this little band of warriors? Buck asked.

The room suddenly seemed to get brighter and brighter then went back to normal. Of course everyone saw spots and was blinking trying to readjust their vision. Buck felt someone touch his shoulder softly.

"Captain Buck of the Jonathon Stone, the FFP Balask is at your command sir," said a soft voice behind him.

Buck's vision cleared as he heard gasps from those at the table. The entire room was now filled with green humans in silver and green uniforms like his squad wore. Turning his head he looked up at the Captain who had put his legacy on the line as well as his life for Buck's world. "It's good to finally meet you Captain," he said as he stood and offered his hand to the tall green man.

The only noticeable difference that Buck could see besides the fact that the Fergus were green was that they only had three fingers and a thumb compared to the four of a human. They were basically the same height but leaned towards the slimmer side in their body frames. The Captain's eyes were a brilliant blue with a white pupil instead of black like the humans, but the smile was exactly the same as the two men shook hands.

"I don't understand Captain Tomias. As far as I'm concerned you are now in charge of this little operation since everything we have came from you to start with," Buck said

"That is true Buck. Everything as far as the ship was concerned came from the Balask except for the loyal and strange personalities of your two AI's and the advancements you have made in weapons by Tex, and the advancements you have made with the drones and..."

"Ok! I get the point, but still it is your command if you want it sir," Buck pleaded half-heartedly.

Tomias laughed softly shaking his head. "As Tex would say 'Cats will be humping dogs' before I assume command buckaroo!"

Everyone was over the shock of the green men appearing out of thin air and Tomias's exclamation set them off in a roaring laughter.

"Let's take an hour break from planning for now and just spend some time meeting each other for a while," Buck suggested, although it was really an order too.

He and Father and Joseph quickly pulled Tomias into Father's private office so they could relax and get acquainted.

"I was very surprised to see your ship on earth Captain Father. It never showed up on any of our scans," Tomias said.

"Well, the way it was hidden was not on purpose I assure you," Father said with a grin.

"I have to ask, Captain Tomias, what was that light in the conference room and how did you just appear here?" asked Joseph.

"Again, I'm sorry we frightened some of you, but to answer your question, it is a particle beam transporter. It breaks down your cells and reassembles them at any location put into the computer."

"Oh, oh, I know that one!" exclaimed the old movie buff. "It's like the science fiction television series from our Old World. Beam me up Scotty!"

Tomias laughed as he too had spent many an hour aboard ship watching the humans' entertainment shows. In fact they were the very reason that made him decide to help this time. A race with so much drive and imagination could not be allowed to perish.

Once this battle was over, Tomias hoped to be able to get some of the humans to come to his home world. The lack of imagination had been the downfall of his people for generations. He hoped to jump start the very same freethinking back into his own population.

"Yes, I believe that would be the show Star Trek and I have every one show in the series if you would ever like to watch them my friend."

Buck groaned. "Greeaaatt, now we'll never get anything done around here with movie night every night," he said, dramatically holding his head.

"Well, I could just download them directly into your mind Buck if you would rather see them that way," Tomias offered, grinning.

Buck glared at his new friend, "What was that saying earlier about cats and dogs cause I know it applies here too."

All four of them cracked up laughing and didn't stop until they made it back into the conference room.

It was standing room only in the now over-filled room and Fadish along with some of the Air Walkers were scrambling to get the large table out and bring in more chairs. After 10 minutes Fadish had rearranged the room more like a lecture style room with four chairs at one end facing the rest of the room. "Well done Fadish. You are one handy individual Commander," Buck said as he smiled at the room now. All the races were intermingled and chatting as they sat down. This is how it should be my friends, he thought to the other three sitting beside him.

"Ok everyone, can we get back to our plans now that the good Captain has scared us all to death," Buck said lightly, but his voice carried over the din of noise. Everyone settled down and gave the Captain their attention finally.

"Commander Stone, with Captain Tomias and his crew joining us how much extra time will be involved in combat training?" Buck asked.

Sarge stood up answering. "I have been told that the Balask crew consist of 4536 crewmembers and officers. If it is possible, I would like to get the Protector squads run through the Pit first, since they are already well ahead of the other groups. Once they are fully upgraded, they in turn would be a great benefit in assisting me in training all the other groups."

Buck looked at Daniel in the front row. "It that all right with you Daniel?" he asked.

Daniel nodded. "I understand where Commander Stone is going with this, I think. Once the Protectors are retrained, the first ones needing to be trained by them will be the Fergus. They can in turn start training everyone else for ship duties to man all those beautiful ships in the Dragnot," he said, grinning.

"Is that correct Commander Stone?" asked Captain Tomias.

"Daniel hit the nail on the head sir. It will give us an even greater advantage than before, and will jump start the training in all areas needed," confirmed Sarge.

"Very well then Commander Daniel, I want you to pull everyone off any outside missions and get them over to the Jonathan Stone as soon as possible," ordered Joseph.

Daniel nodded, smiling at what was in store for his men. He'd been talking to a couple of the Air Walkers that had already started training with Commander Stone and knew his men were in for a surprise.

"Oh and Daniel," Buck said getting his ex commander's attention again.

"Yes sir?" Daniel asked, pushing the amusing thoughts of his men's surprise aside.

"I want you to be the first one through the training with Commander Stone," Buck said, smiling. "You could use a little brush up too, but first you need to go see Shera in the Med. Bay, understood?"

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.