Sanctuary Book 2: Protectors of Earth - Cover

Sanctuary Book 2: Protectors of Earth

Copyright© 2008 by JohnyR

Chapter 7: The Birth of Hope

"Soft and easy there Bill," Buck said, as the ship's landing pylons extended from beneath the FFP Jonathon Stone.

Bill smiled, the butterflies in his stomach had settled down now, "Yes sir, Captain. Soft and easy is my middle name." Well I hope it's my middle name, he thought to himself, as he gently moved the thruster's power down to zero.

The destroyer class starship settled on the soft grassy field with a tiny bump. "Nice landing there Bill," Tex said from the front of the bridge.

"Thanks buddy. I'll admit it was a lot like the simulator after all." Bill looked back at Benny sitting beside the Captain. "Don't know if I would have pulled it off without you Benny. I really appreciate your help."

"Help, smelp ... You're the one that landed this big ole' pig, not me pard," smiled the little metal man. Bill's a natural pilot. It would've taken a year for a Fergus cadet to make that landing, he thought to Sasha.

I've noticed it among the others too my love. This group's comprehension capacity is five times that of any race in my database. All they needed was help to open the blockage in their minds, Sasha thought to Benny.

"It was a very good landing Bill, even if it was my first one," affirmed Shera as she sat in the extra seat by him.

Bill winked at her; the butterflies were now just a memory. He had the skill, he had the knowledge, and now he felt that he could fly anything. Hell, I might take a crack at one of the Blackhawks when we get home, he thought to himself.

Not quiet yet Bill. The Jonathan Stone is a lot more user friendly than a Blackhawk. But who's to say you can't learn in the simulator at home too? Buck thought to his overzealous navigator.

Welcome back, my young son. I see your transport has changed since we last met. This one is very beautiful, but its deadly claws give it away, spoke Father into Buck's mind.

That it is, my friend, that it is. You will understand the reasons for the claws shortly. Where may we speak face to face? Buck thought back.

May I request a tour of your ship? Then we could talk about what brought you here, Father thought to Buck.

It would be my honor, Pop. I will meet you at the main entry door, Buck smiled in his mind. "Everyone, we have company coming," he said to the crew. Looking directly at Tex, making sure he caught his eye he added,"I don't want any shenanigans while Father is here, understood?"

Tex smiled, "Well of course ole' buddy. Mama Tex didn't raise no fool, maybe a hairbrain once in a while but no fool."

"Good for Mama Tex. Remember it's hard to put your foot in a closed mouth. Now, let's go meet my new dad, and show him around our new toy," grinned Buck.

The crew headed to the main air lock where Benny activated the panel. They watched the wall melt away, sliding down into the thick green grass below. The liquid went rigid again, forming a stairway and small platform.

"I'm still amazed at that every time," Jet said softly.

Well friend, I know how it actually works now, so if you ever want to know just ask, Bear thought to his friend.

That would take away the fun of the mystery my big friend. It's nice to have a few mysteries in one's life, Jet thought back.

Father walked around the seamless ship looking for an entry point. He was astounded when the side of the ship near the front seemed to melt away and pour down into the grass at his feet. He jumped back a step, as the strange liquid became the shape of a stairway.

Carefully stepping on the newly formed stairway he walked up to the doorway where Buck was waiting. "Welcome aboard the FFP Jonathon Stone, my wise father," Buck thought, extending his hand.

Father took his new son's smaller hand. His massive hand engulfed the human's while he smiled, "Thank you, my son, for the invitation," he said softly, the smile never leaving his face.

Buck's eyes widen as his jaw dropped. "You speak English?" he sputtered. "I clearly remember only hearing a guttural type language the last time we met," Buck exclaimed.

"That is true my young son, but Air Walkers learn very quickly. Once we realized not all humans had the ability to mindspeak, we had the database download your language into all of us," Father explained.

Looking past Father, Buck saw another Air Walker waiting at the bottom of the stairs. "Would you be the one called Talick by chance?" He asked.

Father stepped further into the ship, to greet the humans he had not met. The other Air Walker to moved up the stairs and close to Buck. "I am indeed Talick. You look no worse for wear after your snake encounter, my friend," Talick remarked smiling. He held out his hand as Father had done.

"I can say with all my heart, Damn I'm glad to meet you, Talick," Buck said, as he shook the eight-foot tall Air Walker's hand profusely.

Inside the hallway, Benny was introducing the rest of the crew to the leader of the Air Walkers.

Jet smiled, looking at his new friend's Benny and Sasha. It was hard to keep from laughing as Benny had to really strain his head back to make eye contact with the eight-foot leader. Benny only came to the leader's waist since he was only 48 ¾" tall. He was extremely proud of that ¾" part too.

Father showed a dignity of a true leader when he realized the predicament Benny was in. The massive gray haired giant kneeled down on one knee. He was still taller than Benny but only by a foot.

Everyone smiled at the thoughtful gesture and moved to be introduced by Benny. It was his moment in the spotlight since he was Number One, second in command of their small crew.

Tex's promise to Buck had set a new record by then, but could not hold the man back any longer. As Benny introduced Tex to Father, the floodgates finally burst. "Damn partner, you sure are a bigun. I bet food don't stand a chance around you does it?" he said, shaking gray haired Giant's hand.

Benny's eyes shot daggers at Tex for such an insult to a dignitary, but he didn't say a word, just simmered like a teakettle.

Father had already looked into the hearts of all the crew. He knew there was no animosity from the outspoken but good-hearted human. It was his way of welcoming the leader of the Air Walkers. "I do indeed scare the food around me. It seems to flee right into my mouth," he said, smiling.

That eased the tension in the air, bringing laughter to all.

Buck, who had just turned to lead Talick inside the ship, had caught both the remark and Father's answer.

He looked at his childhood friend, "Just had to say something, huh?" But there was only a twinkle of laughter in Buck's eyes.

"Shoot Buck, keeping my tongue still is like holding a greased pig. You can hang on for a little while but sooner or later it's gonna pop loose," said a grinning Tex.

Shera led the Air Walkers to the bridge of the ship. Thankfully all the ceilings were ten-feet high. Father and Talick only had to duck under the seven-foot doorways.

After showing the two Air Walkers the different stations and their functions, Tex offered to show them the latest weapons research he had completed. Tex led the entire group back down the hallway, reminding the leader of the Air Walker's constantly, "Watch your noggin there pard."

Once the group reached the training facility, Buck asked if Tex would demonstrate the LERG pistols he wore.

"I'm your Huckleberry boss. Surprise me some, OK? Tex asked, stepping into the training room.

Buck smiled saying, "Commander Stone, please activate a level ten attack group. Adjust them for full mobility and tactical." This should work up a sweat for ole' Tex, he thought.

The weapons commander walked to the center of the shielded room, his relaxed stance allowed his muscles to remain loose and ready. Everyone else stood behind the shield, since the drones shot a small but very painful laserbeam as its main offensive weapon.

Sarge felt a nudge in his ribs from Bear. "Are you gonna activate the drones Commander Stone?" Bear asked.

The look on the gray haired AI's face was priceless. Commander Stone realized that was HIS new designation and Tex was waiting on him to start the drones.

"Affirmative, Commander Bear," he grunted. He stepped to the control panel, setting the adjustment, then sent ten drones flying at Tex.

"About time there, Commander. Thought you had gone to sleep on me," Tex snickered as he watched the drones start their first attack run.

Bear whispered into Commander Stone's ear, not that it mattered since the AI had audio sensors hidden all over his body, "Don't worry bout it my friend, it'll take some time to get used to your new name."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.