Sanctuary Book 2: Protectors of Earth - Cover

Sanctuary Book 2: Protectors of Earth

Copyright© 2008 by JohnyR

Chapter 1

"Bill, is there any way to avoid going through Leadville?" Buck asked after they passed through the abandoned town of Gilman.

Bill nodded. "There are a couple different ways to get to Gunnison, but most are pretty tough going," he answered.

"Just how bad is Leadville, Bill? Tex asked from the shotgun seat.

Bill thought about it for a minute, gathering his experiences together. I have to consider the fact we're in a vehicle like never seen before down there; then add in my two new friends Razor and Shera. They're sure to turn some heads too, he thought with a chuckle.

Looking in the rearview mirror Buck could see Bill was in deep thought. He's taking this answer seriously, he thought. At the same time, his stomach growled at being overlooked for so long. "Hold your answer Bill. We're stopping for lunch," Buck said.

Bill looked relieved not to have to answer so quickly and nodded. "Good, that will give me time for some better alternatives to give you," he said with a smile.

"Well it's about time!" growled a very hungry Bear. "My mama would be put out if she knew you wasn't feeding her baby boy more than once a day."

Jet elbowed his big comrade in the ribs, "Bear, you ate half of all the food the town gave us for breakfast." Looking into Bear's eyes, "I really do not think you can be starving. Perhaps some time meditating with me would help your bloated appetite."

Bear was crestfallen. His love of food was one of his favorite pleasures in life. Hearing his stomach growl like his name offered Jet an alternative. "How 'bout we do your meditating thing while we eat?" he said, grinning.

Buck cracked up laughing along with everyone else. There's just no help for Bear's love of food, and his mama didn't raise a fool, Jet thought, wiping the tears from his eyes.

Razor cut in, "Bear, you may have my share of this lunch thing, I'm not really hungry right now anyway."

Shera punched her mates arm getting a "OUCH!" in return. "You need to eat to regain your strength, my love. Don't be stupid, or I'll make sure you sleep alone tonight," she warned.

Just the thought of that was enough for Razor. Leaning forward to the front seat he apologized, "Sorry my friend, but I can't have a angry mate tonight. You understand I hope?"

It's a good thing they were stopped, because Tex couldn't take it anymore, and fell out of the door laughing like a hyena on the ground.

Deciding enough fun had been had at Bear's expense, Buck cut in, "OK troops, let's be on alert. We're in unfriendly territory." Everyone quieted down except for the laughing hyena outside the Beast on the ground. "TEX!" Buck's single sharp word was enough to bring his friend back to earth.

"Sorry bud, just got a tickle in my craw," replied a more solemn Tex.

"No problem bud, just remember where we are," answered Buck.

Looking back to where his new people were he tried to be tactful, "Razor, you are to do nothing but rest and eat. Shera, your job is to guard your mate."

Razor, of course, did not like this in the least. He started to open his mouth to argue, only to find a pretty, hairy hand wrapped around his jaws. "Thank you Buck, that is what my hardheaded mate needs right now," Shera said, daring her mate to argue with her.

"Hummfff," was the only sound out of a dejected Razor, because Shera still had her hand over his mouth.

"Jet, first watch up top," Buck stated. "Bill, you and Bear start lunch please." Looking at his sullen friend Tex he requested, "Bud, would you mind helping me do a perimeter sweep before lunch?"

Tex perked right up and was animated all over again, "Well sure pard, does a bear shit in the woods?"

Buck couldn't help himself, looking at the giant black man getting out of the beast he asked, "Hey Bear, do you shit in the woods, or hold it till you find a crapper?"

Even Bear cracked up on that one, as he and Bill gathered squaw wood for the fire. He kept repeating it under his breath, and then laughing quietly to himself.

Bill thought the big man was losing it, but he smiled every time Bear giggled.

Tex grabbed two M-16's, checked the mags and handed one to Buck. "How far out are we going?" he asked his friend and squad leader.

"I think a mile will be sufficient, we're only stopping for a while." Buck, knowing his friend, added, "And don't even think about taking on anything bigger than a jackrabbit out there. First sign of trouble you tap off three shots and head back runnin. You hear me?"

Tex had learned through the years when his best friend was talking as a friend and when he was commanding as the squad leader. This was definitely as the squad leader. "YES SIR! Loud and clear Boss!" he said with a curt nod. Time for business and nothing else, Tex thought as he slipped into the unknown forest, letting his senses open up to all around him.

Buck headed out in the opposite direction from his friend, slipping between the overgrowths of massive trees. The forest floor was covered in giant ferns and pine needles. Reaching where he figured about a mile was, Buck started his circle back to meet Tex. Coming to a small creek that cut through the woods, he followed it a ways, looking for fresh sign.

Moving fast, he almost missed the first one in the muck by the edge of the creek. What the HELL! he thought. It looks almost human. Kneeling down, Buck measured the huge footprint. It's at least eighteen inches long, and ten inches wide! thought an amazed Buck.

Then he spotted another footprint almost five feet away. Buck kept his eyes roving among the trees as he found print after print between four and five feet apart. Well you're a big fella, I'll give you that, he thought. But damn, do you need a fuckin bath! he added, catching the reek of the foulest odor he'd ever smelled before.

The sign followed the circle he was taking anyway, so Buck decided to keep following it. Spotting small clumps of hair in the bark of a large tree, Buck figured the animal must have used the tree for a back scratch. Damn, if that's his back he's over ten feet tall! he thought, jumping to grab the loose hair from the tree.

As he turned, he noticed something was wrong. Putting his back to the tree, he tried to figure out what it was. Nothing is moving.

He ran down the list of his normal observations he used while in the woods, I smell the stink but that's it. Looking carefully, it finally hit him, there's no sound at all. Nothing. No birds, bugs, or animal sounds. Now Buck was on edge. The only time the woods went quiet was when death was near. Either this thing he was tracking or a mutant was somewhere close by.

Tex slid through the woods till he came to a small creek about a mile from camp. Far enough, now let's see what's out here, he thought. Following the creek he spotted a nice deep depression pool on his side. His mouth started watering just looking at the massive brown trout that were popping to the surface to grab a bug lunch. I'll be back my beauties, he thought, returning to scan mode as he slinked along the creek. His creek came to a dead end after a mile, it ended at a cliff face about two hundred feet high.

The small waterfall came splashing down on the side of the rock face only to drop the last twenty feet or so into a small pond. Tex checked the pond for fish and sure enough there were some monster trout here too.

Well no need to worry about anything up there. Nothing could survive the damn drop down to here, he thought. Turning, he followed the edge of the cliff face till it veered away from his perimeter. Spotting something moving in the distant trees, Tex slid back behind a moss-covered log. Whatever it is, it's sure quiet, he thought. Tex caught a few glimpses of it as it moved quietly along the forest floor. It was silhouetted once for a few seconds as it crossed a small, open area in the woods. It's a fuckin bear walking like a man! Tex thought to himself.

The massive bear-man thing was still at least a hundred yards off. It was definitely walking like a man and not like a bear, Tex thought. He watched as it crossed the creek and disappeared into the woods on the other side. Buck won't believe me on this one. NO GOOFING OFF! That's what he'll say or yell if I tell him, thought Tex, as he moved forward cautiously checking his back trail. Last thing I want is for the bear-thing sneaking up on me.

Looking at the M-16 in his hands he shook his head. This thing would only piss it off, it would be like a fly trying to knock over a cow ... not gonna happen, his thoughts snapping him back to where he was as he slid around another massive tree.

Bear put another venison steak on the campfire grill asking, "Razor, my friend, how do you like your steak?"

The lion man raised his head as his mate stroked the back of his neck. "Well, usually not moving would be nice, at least till I heal up some," he replied calmly.

Bill cracked up laughing, asking if his steak could be one of the "not-moving kind" too.

Shera smiled, knowing what Bear had meant. "Darling I think he meant how do you want your steak cooked," she said softly to her mate.

Bear gave Bill the evil eye, and Bill caught on that his friend wasn't joking with his answer, "Sorry bud, guess y'all don't usually cook the meat up." The last thing Bill wanted to do was hurt his new friend's feelings.

Razor, realizing he needed to cheer his new friend up, smiled, "No worries, Bill, now that I have servants I'll just have to adapt to being a royal."

Bill caught on and quipped back, "Oh Shera? It looks like your mate wants to be treated as a royal."

Shera waited for the other shoe to drop since she had come to know Bill well. Bill beamed as he stood up and walked over in front of the pair sitting on a log. "My Lord Razor," he said with a small bow, "I cannot say if you are a true royal or not." As he straightened up he quickly added. "But I KNOW you're a royal pain in the ASS!" he hollered as he dodged the stick Razor threw at him.

Laughing now, Shera whispered to Razor.

He nodded and smiled at Bear, who in turn was glaring at his new buddy Bill, "Thank you Sir Bear, make my steak rare. And, if you have time, have Bill get some wine."

Bear grinned at Razor, "If Bill goes for wine, his steak will be mine. Although it's unfair, I still eat like a ... well you know."

That did it. Everyone had a good laugh and settled down to eat.

Bill went and relieved Jet so he could eat too. Taking his watch up on top of the Beast, Bill thought how his life had changed so much in just the last few weeks. Loosing his family to the pride, then trying to find help for his sister-in-law. The morning he realized he was alone with no horses, and wolves on his heels. It had been a miracle that the other squad had spotted him. He was out of bullets and about to die. These people took me in and showed me what it means to be human again, he thought as he scanned the area around the small camp.

Letting his eyes drop to those around the fire, Bill looked upon them as his new family. We might be odd, but we are a family. We might fight every once in a while, but that's what families do, he thought, smiling.

Out of the corner of his eye, Bill saw movement. His hunter's instinct kept him from swinging his head and giving away the fact he knew something was over there. Whatever it is, it's not approaching us. It's more like it's studying us to see what we are, he appraised the situation. Barely turning his head, he could get a better idea of what it was. In the shadows of a massive tree he could just make out the figure. Hell it's huge! he thought, trying to remain calm. Reaching into his pocket he pulled out the small signal mirror he had carried forever. It was how he used to communicate with his family from afar. Still acting like he didn't have a care in the world, Bill slid the mirror across his chest to get a better look at what was in the shadow of the tree. He gasped quietly, trying not to panic as he saw a hairy human face. Well it's almost human looking, but the nose is flatter and the forehead is a lot higher, he thought to himself. The creature just stood there watching the campfire and his friends. Bill decided since it wasn't making in hostile moves towards his friends, he would try and study it for now.

I'm guessing it's between ten and twelve feet tall. It must weigh at least six hundred pounds. Hard to tell with all that hair, could be a little more. Can't see its feet in the shadows but the hands look human, four fingers and a thumb. Bill worked his thoughts trying to keep a running tally for later. What astounded Bill the most were the creature's eyes. They're as blue as mine! he thought. He could see intelligence far above that of any animal he had ever hunted. Fact is, his eyes remind me of Razor's. Following the logic of that, he concluded, Razor's as smart as me if not more, that means this creature is smart enough to know I'm spying on him. OH SHIT! he yelled in his mind.

The creature barely turned its head from looking at those by the fire, and looked directly into the small mirror Bill was holding along his arm. It smiled showing a row of flat herbivore type teeth and then winked one of its blue eyes at him.

Bill's mouth fell open as he forgot his mirror and turned around. The creature was gone; all that remained was a giant fern leaf bouncing as something slid past it.

Sitting by the fire having just finished his steak, Razor felt a presence that was new. His ears pricked up as his nose began to seek what was new around him. Seeking a scent, his nose found it on the other side of the Beast where Bill was standing guard.

Bear caught the change in Razor, from relaxed to alert. He couldn't tell what set his new friend off but Shera's posture changed quickly too. Following their gaze he saw Bill holding something in his right hand across his chest. Then he saw Bill almost jump and dropped what was in his hand. The sun reflected off what he dropped. It's a mirror! thought Bear. What the hell is he doing with a damn mirror? he asked himself.

Suddenly it hit him; something was behind Bill in the woods. Keeping up the chatting they had been doing, the three silently slid their hands to their weapons.

Bill turned back with a face white as snow. He motioned for them to relax as he slid off the roof and walked over to the alert group of friends.

He's shaking, thought Bear. And he's been a hunter all his life. Whatever is out there scared the crap out of him.

Buck lost the tracks as he went further into the woods. The slight breeze had carried the scent away till there was nothing left. Coming around another large tree, Buck was watching for sign in the pine needles. The M-16's stock slammed into his leg as something struck it.

Falling back, Buck spun the rifle back into position to see nothing. What the hell! he thought, looking around. Then he saw that the pine needles on the forest floor were rising and falling, as if something was moving underneath them. Whatever it is, it's under the needles and wants me for lunch, he thought as he scanned for a better location to fight from.

Spotting an outcropping of small boulders he decided to make a run for it. So far he had not made a sound but no time for that now. He sent a three shot burst in the direction of the moving needles and ran like hell for the boulders.

Behind him, whatever was under the needles must have been clipped at least cause it sounded pissed off.

In fact, it sounded like a damn snake, Buck thought as he scrambled up the small set of boulders. Well, if it is a snake, it's the biggest damn snake I've ever seen, he told himself as he scanned the needles below.

The needles started moving again as whatever was under them headed towards Buck's little fort of boulders.

Doing a quick check of his weapons, Buck never took his eyes off the needles. Then for the first time he heard the muffled sound of the rattlers. Great, he thought, a pissed off rattler is not what I need right now.

His little boulder fort was only about ten feet in diameter and about eight feet above the ground level. Should be plenty to keep a snake off me, he thought.

"Well shit!" he said out loud, as the biggest damn rattlesnake he had ever seen started to rise up out of the pine needles that covered the forest floor.

It kept rising and rising. Buck had his doubts now. That thing is twenty feet if it's an inch, he thought to himself.

At least it's not an E.D.M., he thought gratefully. The snake's head moved slightly from side to side. "Hell I think it's try to hypnotize me," chuckled Buck to himself.

Tracking the head, Buck sent another burst at the snake. Shit that suckers fast! thought Buck, as the snake seems to dodge the round of bullets. The snake struck then. Buck barely got the M-16 between his body and the eight-inch fangs dripping venom. The snake's powerful jaws ripped the rifle from his hands.

But in doing so the M-16 got lodged inside the snake's mouth, making it where it's jaws could not shut again.

Buck knew it would only take the monster seconds to dislodge the rifle, and pulled his Glocks. There was no way he could get many shots into the angry snake's head. It was just all over the place slamming into trees and even into the boulder Buck was on. Instead, Buck aimed at where the snake's body met the ground. Unloading as fast as he could into the two-foot diameter body, he emptied both guns. Oh, the massive rattlesnake was really pissed now and managed to spit out the mangled rifle. The .40 cal. rounds tore a twelve-inch hole in the monster, but that didn't slow it down much.

The snake clipped Buck on the side as he managed to dodge its fangs; he rolled over and came up with his S.O.G. jungle knives in each hand. Again the snake struck. Buck parried the fangs as if he was in a knife fight. Not gonna be able to keep this up for long, he thought as he blocked an attack again. This bitch is just too quick. Feeling a fang slide down his knife and puncture his arm. Damn! he thought as he slammed his other knife into the closest eye of the big snake.

His vision started to blur, as he was yanked off balance when the snaked ripped its fang free of his arm.

Buck could just make out the snake rearing back for another strike, planting his feet he waited. A roar broke the silence, as his legs gave way to the poison coursing through his body. Then, blackness surrounded him.

After hearing Bill describe what he had seen in the woods, something clicked in the recesses of Razor's memory. "I have never seen this creature, but one of our elders saw one," he said, getting excited as he remembered the story. "He was an elder named Malock. He was a natural like my mate and I." Working to remember the story he went on. "Malock had been searching for game deep in an area we did not normally hunt in. For some reason, long ago our elders made this area taboo and none would go near it. Malock had pounced on an elk, but had missed a clean kill. He trailed it for hours, not realizing he had entered into the forbidden area of the woods. He said the trail ended in a tight grouping of trees. Moving with stealth, he slinked up and found two wolves finishing his kill. Enraged, Malock leaped through the air, killing one of the wolves instantly." Razor smiled picturing the story in his mind. "Old Malock was careless, he forgot wolves travel in packs. He realized his mistake when at least eight more wolves surrounded him. He fought valiantly and managed to kill six more, but he was terribly injured himself and there were still two wolves left. Saying a prayer to the Earth Mother, he was ready to die if he could take the wolves with him. The problem was Malock had lost too much blood and could barely stand. The wolves circled him, baiting him to attack. When all hope was lost, a big rock landed on the head of one of the wolves, crushing it instantly. Malock said he never saw where it came from. As the last wolf circled the dying pride member, a hand snaked out of the bushes and grabbed the wolf by the tail. It yipped and snarled at the huge hairy hand holding it ten feet off the ground. A huge figure stepped out from behind the bushes, and swatted the wolf across the head."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.